Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Stereo Installation, tips, tricks, how-to, 2007 Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pushed the button on the circuit breaker to kill the power and reinstalled the battery (before i went any further, to make sure wires were routed correctly and avoid having to re-route later)...

i ran the wires through some split loom and/or electrical taped them to match the factory wiring and clean the wires up a little... ran these wires to the bag area (they will go into the bag, next to the front quick disconnect for the bag)

... in the above picture, you will notice speaker wire ran inside of some split loom, this wire is for the 6x9 going into the other bag, this wire was ran along the rear fender and zip tied away from everything, you prob wouldn't notice it, if you were told what it was for
i zip tied the wires up with the factory wiring

i ran the speaker wire to the other bag, zip tying along the way

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 04-10-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

with the side cover in place, all wires are routed out of the way and away from any moving parts on the motorcycle...

seems like alot of wires (but its not bad) and these wires will need to be quick disconnected, to allow for removal of the bags (easily... the reason you will want to do the quick connect, is to allow easy access for maintenance and be able to take the bag off during stays at hotels, trip etc. the bags can be removed in seconds and taken into the hotel room (even with the bags locked, they can easily be stolen and in my case where i have true extended bags, this makes for an appealing glare for a thief)

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 04-11-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

many updates, almost done, will keep going back and cleaning up the grammer etc... but again, hope this is informative... also will be doing some reviews, of speaker ring adapters, and other products, so feedback is cool...

Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting for next update !!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:19 AM
gregsworld
Tourer

Thanks for taking the time to post this step-by-step. Excellent post !
Greg

Old 04-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Waiting for next update !!
Originally Posted by gregsworld
Thanks for taking the time to post this step-by-step. Excellent post !
Greg
thank you, updating now... after installing all of this stuff and doing a great job... i was received a call from a different friend... it seems that my work was very unappreciated and the bike owner was running around talking about how long it was taking for me to complete the install (which i had gotten off of work at 8am, owner didnt get to my house till 10 or so, i needed to go back to work at 10pm) i worked on the bike until about 7 or so, when he wanted to leave... i had finished all up until this point, but needed to install the 6x9s and mount the amp down. he wanted to go show off his bike (which is understandable), but i wanted to leave the bike alone, till i got off the next morning, and would have finished it, in a short amount of time. anyhow, i had to put the bike back together, hooked the amp up and he rode it. the thing sounded amazing, without the 6x9s hooked up... ran the two lower fairing speakers off the amp and the inner fairing speakers of the amp, leaving two ch.s for the 6x9s...

next day, i had to get some rest from being up 24hours, so i stayed at home with the family... bike owner wanted me to finish putting the 6x9s in but since he didnt wait, for it to be done properly the first time, i told him it would have to wait till the next day... he went on a rampage telling everyone who complimented the music and install that i left him hanging with an incomplete job and that basically i suck...lol

he told everyone that since he had bought the equipment from me (for an extremely low price mind you, basically just gave the stuff away), i was pretty much obligated to do a free install (cause its "only labor")... this pissed me off and when i received another call from him (he acted as if things were not said behind my back, which i heard them, as someone called me while he was talking stupid)... i very politely told him that i could not finish, as i dont have the time and would need to purchase some tools... i rec. a "decent" shop that could finish the 40 minutes of work that needed to be done... he called me back telling me that the shop wanted $275 to install the 6x9s and mount down the amp... you would think this would have gave him a new appreciation for what i did for free, but no... he insisted on trying to "yell' at me over the phone (cursing and saying he doesnt have that money, etc.), in an attempt to "pressure" me into doing the rest... I was/am done with this and felt disrespected... haven't talked to him since and no apology effort on his part... you learn your lessons the most from dealing with friends (or those you think are your friends), but i am a quick learner...

I am going to need to take some photos of my bike to finish up the thread, i had photos of the quick connect process but cant seem to find them, easy enough as my bike is sitting in the garage and i can take a few photos and explain them...

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 04-11-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:45 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

GTS, great write up, thanks for taking the time, you can always do mine and I'll appreciate it and promise not to bad rap you, sometimes people just suk.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by leohd
GTS, great write up, thanks for taking the time, you can always do mine and I'll appreciate it and promise not to bad rap you, sometimes people just suk.
yeah, there shouldnt have been any bad talk at all... it only took a few hours, to do all that i had done, normally, i would like to spend a few days on an involved install (solder wires, good quick connects, etc)... this particular "friend" does everything to make himself look better than others, instead of just being humble and appreciative, this person would rather make themselves look as good as possible, as if he doesn't need anyones esles help... crazy, but this was thid third strike....

i am gonna take some picts of my bike and finish the thread with them... no biggie, also will be upgrading quite a bit on my bike also, and may do a tutorial on the pac module install for the hand controls..

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 04-11-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:25 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

GTS, 2 hours of your time ain't bad to weed out a jerk from your life. could always be worse.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by leohd
GTS, 2 hours of your time ain't bad to weed out a jerk from your life. could always be worse.
yup, no complaints on my end, known the guy for 14 years, and has been worse... was the last straw, have to learn to feed people with a long handled spoon...lol

any particular thing i should elaborate more on, or explain better... im trying to go back through the thread, will do it after i explain the quick connect process...

Quick Reply: Custom Stereo Installation, tips, tricks, how-to, 2007 Streetglide