Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Aftermarket Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default RE: Which Aftermarket Speakers

Hogtunes are great, and Pez is the man when it comes to customer service. If you ever have a problem just call him and he make's it right instantly. That is worth alot in my book.

Joe

Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

this is the truth " It's all about what sounds best to your ear and what you want to spend. "

I have had the following:

hog tunes --- better than stock--IMHO not worth the $$$ sold on eBay

MB Quart --- great speakers --- a little costly but worth the money

Infinity --- excellent for the fronts --- currently running them in the fairing

Kenwood --- excellent bass response --- currently running them in the bags

ORIGINAL: HDChloe

Everyone,

I have spent the better part of 2 days reading 10,000+ posts regarding upgraded speakers. I am still trying to decide jm, Hog Tunes, JBL, Infinity, etc. I am not looking to start a war here (oil thread anyone), but simply want some quick answers so I can make a good decision.

Regarding JBL and infinity:
How easy is installation? Is it plug and play? I am NOT interested in splicing wires. I simply want a better sounding system for my trip to the Grand Canyon this year. Yay!

For example:
-Infinity Kappa 52.7i-Do you need a crossover(s)? I don't even know what that is, but read it in another post.

-JBL GTO527: How easy is install? Anything I need to be aware of?

I am completely ignorant with speaker stuff so please be gentle. I am completely ignorant with speaker stuff so please be gentle.

Regards,

Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: lkr0

this is the truth " It's all about what sounds best to your ear and what you want to spend. "

I have had the following:

hog tunes --- better than stock--IMHO not worth the $$$ sold on eBay

MB Quart --- great speakers --- a little costly but worth the money

Infinity --- excellent for the fronts --- currently running them in the fairing

Kenwood --- excellent bass response --- currently running them in the bags

Everyone,

I have spent the better part of 2 days reading 10,000+ posts regarding upgraded speakers. I am still trying to decide jm, Hog Tunes, JBL, Infinity, etc. I am not looking to start a war here (oil thread anyone), but simply want some quick answers so I can make a good decision.

Regarding JBL and infinity:
How easy is installation? Is it plug and play? I am NOT interested in splicing wires. I simply want a better sounding system for my trip to the Grand Canyon this year. Yay!

For example:
-Infinity Kappa 52.7i-Do you need a crossover(s)? I don't even know what that is, but read it in another post.

-JBL GTO527: How easy is install? Anything I need to be aware of?

I am completely ignorant with speaker stuff so please be gentle. I am completely ignorant with speaker stuff so please be gentle.

Regards,

You're both on target- I purchased the Infinity 52.7i speakers for the fairing.Harmon Kardon owns both JBL and Infinity-the Infinity's are an upgrade from the JBL 527 with better specs and don't cost much more if you shop around.There's lots of Hog Tunes and J&M fans here on the forum who seem happy with their choices and that's cool.I took a look at prices and specs and mademy decision.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How easy is installation? Is it plug and play?

I am completely ignorant with speaker stuff so please be gentle.
Installation is a snap with either brand and it's all plug and play. Here's what you need to take fairing cap off on a Streetglide or Batwing. Real simple and takes about 30-60 minutes forthe first time, 10 minutes once you've done a couple sets. Lot's of help here from folks who know. Hope this helps you out.

First remove the 2 inner bolts that secure the outer fairing cap (they are under the triple tree so you'll need to turn the forks one way then the other to see them), and then the2 from the inside fairing (left and right outer edges). Next you can remove the 3 bolts from the top outer edge of the fairingon the front side ofthe windshield. Save the center bolt for last, allowing you to hold the fairing cap from the underside as you remove this last bolt. The fairing is light (about 10 lbs) and will lift away in your hands when the last bolt is removed. Cover your front fender with a towel in case you drop a tool or something. Next, reach in and uncouple the headlight harness connector from the back of the light and set the fairing cap aside for safekeeping. Now your radio is exposed along with the speakers in the fairing. Remove the stock speakers and install the new ones. I used the stock grill covers for mine which worked great with the JBL's.There are 3 torx screws holding each speaker in.

When your all finished and have tested the speakers, reinstall the fairing in the same fashion and you're golden.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 AM
chuckk01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed mb quart with hog wired amp. Sound is awesome.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Hog Tunes is a very good choice.

Service is important to me, and Pez is always very helpful.

I started out with replacements for the just the front, but have since added the rear speakers and the amp.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:17 AM
HDChloe
Road Captain

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Glideman, Thank you for the picture-how-to; that is VERY helpful.

I have found asking about speakers is like asking what woman is the hottest. A million different answers....some just better than others.

Ride Safe,

Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Cycleman6
Cruiser

I'm going to go with the Infinity's I think. They are extremely efficient and are rated at 94db, which is good because you need volume. They are also 2ohm, which means they will make some good power, like 100w rms, up to 400 watt.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JBL and Infinity are good speakers? If you're going cheap, I'd go Polk (ONLY AN OPINION HERE BRO!) . If you want good speakers (or have deep pockets, or a nut like I am), you want Paradigm. Everybody starts somewhere with electronics, like you I knew nothing (I'm a chemist!). With an advanced speaker design book from your bookstore and a soldering iron, in no time you'll be wiring out-of-phase push/pull using high-end wire and state-of-the-art stuff that is timeless and not what every guy on your block runs.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 AM
HDChloe
Road Captain

Firetender.....funny post! It is true though, my knowledge of speakers has been 10 fold in the last few days b/c I forced myself to learn about them.

I do like the idea of not having what everyone else has. For example, I am starting with the Infinity speakers instead of Hog Tunes/JM. No offense to anyone here as I am sure they are fine speakers.

Now, I need an amp. This sounds like another 3 days of constant reading to find one that fits my fairing (I tour too much to fill my saddlebags up). Oh joy!!!

Quick Reply: Which Aftermarket Speakers