Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2024 SG audio upgrade options??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024 | 08:55 PM
wagonmaster110
|
Intermediate
Default 2024 SG audio upgrade options??

Picked up a 2024 Street glide yesterday. After a 500 mile ride home. I figured one thing out, the factory standard stereo sux. I can barely hear it at Hwy speeds. The 15 street glide I traded had an upgraded stereo.

What are the aftermarket options for the stereo on my new bike.

Anyway to add XM sat radio to my bike as well.

Thanks.
Tim

Old 06-20-2024 | 07:29 AM
LN Nation
Tourer

Not too many options out there. I know that Volunteer Audio and NVS have options that piggy-back off the stock system. Volunteer's is a little over $700 and NVS is around $3500. I went for the HD/Rockford Fosgate 500 watt amp upgrade but found that the Rockford stage 2 speakers are crap. Tried the Hertz SX 165 NEO but they had a hard time handling the amp power also. Ended up with Diamond Audio HXM65F2 speakers. They sound great and handle all the power the amp will send to them. These speakers are 2 ohms, which match the factory system's impedance. Since the amp is 4-channels (no, it's not bridgeable into 2 channels), I'll probably buy the Diamond cut-in kit for the saddlebags when it becomes available. It's a mental thing. I can't stand the thought of not utilizing the other 2 channels on the amp. It's not easy being me...

Another huge factor is the windshield. Go to a taller windshield and you'll hear a huge difference. I went with the HD 10" because there were no aftermarket options at the time. Now there are many including Klock Werks, Freedom and a slew of them on Amazon.

The following users liked this post:
jwt873 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024 | 08:48 AM
jwt873
Road Warrior

I got my RK back in February when there were no aftermarket options. (There still aren't many). I installed the Rockford Fosgate 500W upgrade amp along with RF Stage 1 speakers. I can hear my tunes over the highway now. But I regret using the RF stage 1 speakers. I had to turn the bass down on the graphic equalizer to stop them distorting on strong bass notes. (And thank you LN Nation for the speaker upgrade tip).

I added a king tour pak with the curved passenger back rest. I didn't' like the empty space underneath where sides of the backrest curve so I installed a set of tour pak speakers to fill the gap. (Also using RF Stage 1 speakers). They're not as good as the 5x7 bag lid speakers, but despite that the two extra speakers really make a difference. If it's in your budget, aftermarket amp or not, I recommend going the four speaker route.

The IFCU is capable of using an external SiriusXM tuner, but Harley decided not to adopt that option. Streaming from your phone using the SiriusXM app is currently the best way. However SiriXM does make stand alone tuners with Bluetooth. https://shop.siriusxm.com/roady-bt.html If you don't want to stream, you could bolt one on your handlebars and listen that way.

Old 06-20-2024 | 09:29 AM
wagonmaster110
|
Intermediate

I had thought of using the phone app for SiriusXm. But shot that down as living in WY. There are places I ride were I don't get cell service. That would be places were I would need SiriusXm.

Tim

Old 06-20-2024 | 01:56 PM
30glock
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LN Nation
Not too many options out there. I know that Volunteer Audio and NVS have options that piggy-back off the stock system. Volunteer's is a little over $700 and NVS is around $3500.
I have to correct you, NVS has an amazing plug and play option, I have it, and its no way near the quoted price, Also Carlos system is verified at 200W PC, I have the 4 speaker Hertz and this thing sounds crazy, Call NVS, the Install was simple all plug and play, He ships the system with everything connected, no guessing on your part.

Old 06-21-2024 | 09:03 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 30glock
I have to correct you, NVS has an amazing plug and play option, I have it, and its no way near the quoted price, Also Carlos system is verified at 200W PC, I have the 4 speaker Hertz and this thing sounds crazy, Call NVS, the Install was simple all plug and play, He ships the system with everything connected, no guessing on your part.
I have to second NVS's kit. It really is a nice kit that is stupid simple to install.

Old 06-22-2024 | 08:41 PM
Headhunter68
Intermediate

I just installed the Volunteer Audio Kenwood Amp and Hertz speakers and it sounds great. Comparing it to the dealer installed Rockford Fosgate four speaker system in my 2022 RGS I’ll say this two speaker system is better at highway speeds than the RF. Easy install and pretty straightforward setup that buttons up nicely.

Old 09-17-2024 | 06:51 PM
Nutty
Advanced

Originally Posted by LN Nation
….Another huge factor is the windshield. Go to a taller windshield and you'll hear a huge difference. I went with the HD 10" because there were no aftermarket options at the time. Now there are many including Klock Werks, Freedom and a slew of them on Amazon.
if you get some 1“x 3/4” sticky-

back neoprene tape and seal the bottom edge of the screen, it’ll be quieter and have way less wind noise/buffeting.

Old 09-17-2024 | 07:01 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

JMC ROKKER options for the 2024s here ,,,,, https://jmcorp.com/2024-ROKKER--Harley-Audio_c_81.html

These new ROKKER speakers and amps perform extremely well on the highway, bout as fast as the new Harleys are capable of traveling ,,,

Old Today | 01:06 AM
Iron 1250
Advanced

Originally Posted by wagonmaster110
Picked up a 2024 Street glide yesterday. After a 500 mile ride home. I figured one thing out, the factory standard stereo sux. I can barely hear it at Hwy speeds. The 15 street glide I traded had an upgraded stereo.

What are the aftermarket options for the stereo on my new bike.

Anyway to add XM sat radio to my bike as well.

Thanks.
Tim
I agree very much so with your observations. I purchased a 2024 CVO Road Glide with the 500watt Rockford Fosgate power amplifier and stage 2 speakers as stock. Very poor audio reproduction on the highway over 90km/h (55m/h) I waited for the Volunteer Audio A2B unit (that necessitates complete removal of the Rockford Fosgate amp either 200watt or 500watt) and Hertz amp and speakers to come to market however for just the base package at $2,146.96 USD after postage and conversion to AUD (I live in Australia) it was prohibitive. NVS offer a DSP and power amp were the Rockford Fosgate power amp is retained and the DSP tides up the signal and steps it down prior to going into the second power amp. The cost for this package is $1,799.99 USD, once again cost prohibitive once it landed in Australia.

I tried coming out of the Rockford Fosgate 500watt power amplifier into a Diamond Audio MSDSP88 (that was claimed was claimed to handle 24volts loudspeaker line level input) running into a Soundstream ST4.1200D power amplifier, however, it was either overheating or some other error was occurring somewhere in the system so I removed this set-up. I went back to the Rockford Fosgate 500watt power amplifier and installed DD Audio VO-XN6.5-S2 (2Ohm) loudspeakers in the fairing and DD Audio VO-XN6x9-S2 (2Ohm) loudspeakers in the saddlebags. As a note I had previously tried the Hertz Neo 6.5's in the fairing and then Polk MM652 6.5" in the fairing and Polk MM692's in the saddlebags with and without the Diamond Audio DSP and Soundstream power amp. The results were not that encouraging.

I had seen at one stage Garage Bagger Stereo did a package of what appeared to be a LOC, power amp, loudspeakers and a cable kit. Their entry level was $1,260.00 USD. The LOC took me back to the first days of the Rushmore bikes and the issues we had taming the rubbish output from that unit. Anyway this got me thinking I wonder if I could use a LOC on the Skyline OS (customers of GBS seemed to not have savage complaints.) Anyway I obtained a LOC that was rated to 80watts per channel and it didn't handle the output very well at all. I later measured output to the rear channels from the Rockford Fosgate 500watt power amp at 100% running a song and the highest momentary reading I obtained was 13.98 volts so at 2ohms this equates to 97.7202 watts. The bike wasn't running and it was in accessory mode so with the bike running this would probably be higher. So I needed a LOC that could handle a higher wattage so I purchased a Axxess LOC with a stated 150watt per channel input, the unit has four channels.

I installed the new LOC with a Soundstream SM1.1000D power amp a slightly smaller amp than the ST1.200D, however, it is claimed to deliver 125watts per channel at 2Ohms. it is a marine amp too, just the circuit board not the connectors. I retained the DD Audio loudspeakers and I had been using a Maedhawk Bluetooth adaptor so I swapped this for a Tims Stereo Bluetooth adaptor which appears to be more solid than the Maedhawk. I don't tend to use a Bluetooth headset in my helmet.

I have been speaking with one of the first companies to import and install the Volunteer Audio A2B, the Hertz amp and the two Hertz Neo 6.5's in the fairing of their 2024 CVO ST they state are outputting 100db running white noise and 50% volume. With my setup just running the two fairing loudspeakers (as a comparison), at 50% volume playing white noise I register 87.7db. In windy conditions travelling at 110km/h (68.75m/h) our maximum speed limit on a highway I can hear music no issue in a full face helmet with a lower than stock windshield (I forgot to put on my 10" shield). Keep in mind I have four loudspeakers all running 2Ohms. They are component with the tweeter mounted on a centre stork with external crossovers. As always forever looking for the Unicorn of audio excellence on these bikes.

The following users liked this post:
Nutty (Today)

Quick Reply: 2024 SG audio upgrade options??