Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2024 SG audio upgrade options??

Search this Thread

Old Today | 07:48 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Iron 1250
I agree very much so with your observations. I purchased a 2024 CVO Road Glide with the 500watt Rockford Fosgate power amplifier and stage 2 speakers as stock. Very poor audio reproduction on the highway over 90km/h (55m/h) I waited for the Volunteer Audio A2B unit (that necessitates complete removal of the Rockford Fosgate amp either 200watt or 500watt) and Hertz amp and speakers to come to market however for just the base package at $2,146.96 USD after postage and conversion to AUD (I live in Australia) it was prohibitive. NVS offer a DSP and power amp were the Rockford Fosgate power amp is retained and the DSP tides up the signal and steps it down prior to going into the second power amp. The cost for this package is $1,799.99 USD, once again cost prohibitive once it landed in Australia.

I tried coming out of the Rockford Fosgate 500watt power amplifier into a Diamond Audio MSDSP88 (that was claimed was claimed to handle 24volts loudspeaker line level input) running into a Soundstream ST4.1200D power amplifier, however, it was either overheating or some other error was occurring somewhere in the system so I removed this set-up. I went back to the Rockford Fosgate 500watt power amplifier and installed DD Audio VO-XN6.5-S2 (2Ohm) loudspeakers in the fairing and DD Audio VO-XN6x9-S2 (2Ohm) loudspeakers in the saddlebags. As a note I had previously tried the Hertz Neo 6.5's in the fairing and then Polk MM652 6.5" in the fairing and Polk MM692's in the saddlebags with and without the Diamond Audio DSP and Soundstream power amp. The results were not that encouraging.

I had seen at one stage Garage Bagger Stereo did a package of what appeared to be a LOC, power amp, loudspeakers and a cable kit. Their entry level was $1,260.00 USD. The LOC took me back to the first days of the Rushmore bikes and the issues we had taming the rubbish output from that unit. Anyway this got me thinking I wonder if I could use a LOC on the Skyline OS (customers of GBS seemed to not have savage complaints.) Anyway I obtained a LOC that was rated to 80watts per channel and it didn't handle the output very well at all. I later measured output to the rear channels from the Rockford Fosgate 500watt power amp at 100% running a song and the highest momentary reading I obtained was 13.98 volts so at 2ohms this equates to 97.7202 watts. The bike wasn't running and it was in accessory mode so with the bike running this would probably be higher. So I needed a LOC that could handle a higher wattage so I purchased a Axxess LOC with a stated 150watt per channel input, the unit has four channels.

I installed the new LOC with a Soundstream SM1.1000D power amp a slightly smaller amp than the ST1.200D, however, it is claimed to deliver 125watts per channel at 2Ohms. it is a marine amp too, just the circuit board not the connectors. I retained the DD Audio loudspeakers and I had been using a Maedhawk Bluetooth adaptor so I swapped this for a Tims Stereo Bluetooth adaptor which appears to be more solid than the Maedhawk. I don't tend to use a Bluetooth headset in my helmet.

I have been speaking with one of the first companies to import and install the Volunteer Audio A2B, the Hertz amp and the two Hertz Neo 6.5's in the fairing of their 2024 CVO ST they state are outputting 100db running white noise and 50% volume. With my setup just running the two fairing loudspeakers (as a comparison), at 50% volume playing white noise I register 87.7db. In windy conditions travelling at 110km/h (68.75m/h) our maximum speed limit on a highway I can hear music no issue in a full face helmet with a lower than stock windshield (I forgot to put on my 10" shield). Keep in mind I have four loudspeakers all running 2Ohms. They are component with the tweeter mounted on a centre stork with external crossovers. As always forever looking for the Unicorn of audio excellence on these bikes.
Could you simply make a list of what is currently installed on your bike that is working well? I got lost in the back and forth of what was tried and didn't work and what works now.

Old Today | 07:51 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Could you simply make a list of what is currently installed on your bike that is working well? I got lost in the back and forth of what was tried and didn't work and what works now.
I just finished up a 2024 Street Glide if you're looking for any information.

Old Today | 07:55 AM
ROaD-GliDeT
5th Gear

I went with volunteer audio for my 24 road glide. I had the exact same issue the stereo blows especially for what we all pay for these things. So going over the options I went with the "budget" stage 2 Kenwood kit from them. I will update you when I receive the equipment. The install looks a tad more in depth than ide like it to be , but straight forward non the less.

Old Today | 08:16 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by cshocker
I just finished up a 2024 Street Glide if you're looking for any information.
Yeah what did you do? I'm just looking for a 2-speaker fairing setup.

Old Today | 08:33 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior

Yeah what did you do? I'm just looking for a 2-speaker fairing setup.
I've actually did it twice.

First was a SD 800.4, AD 6.5 in fairing and AD 6x9 in lids (CVO) with ARC PSM Pro DSP kit from NVS Audio

Second was a Curlys amp rack with a Cicada BDA2000.4, Cicada CH in fairing and Cicada CHX in lids with same PSM.

I've seen Volunteers A/b interface. I HATE that you have to buy his setup if you want the A/B interface. And he only sells ONE setup. One hit wonder.

With the NVS kit, you can adjust the input EQ on the DSP to flatten the ugly Harley curve. So basically the same thing as the A/B with DSP and its much cheaper and you can choose what equipment you want to run.

You can PM if you want.

Old Today | 09:06 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by cshocker
I've actually did it twice.

First was a SD 800.4, AD 6.5 in fairing and AD 6x9 in lids (CVO) with ARC PSM Pro DSP kit from NVS Audio

Second was a Curlys amp rack with a Cicada BDA2000.4, Cicada CH in fairing and Cicada CHX in lids with same PSM.

I've seen Volunteers A/b interface. I HATE that you have to buy his setup if you want the A/B interface. And he only sells ONE setup. One hit wonder.

With the NVS kit, you can adjust the input EQ on the DSP to flatten the ugly Harley curve. So basically the same thing as the A/B with DSP and its much cheaper and you can choose what equipment you want to run.

You can PM if you want.
I’m more about value than having the best SQ. I don’t want cheap, I want value. Bang for the buck. I’m not dropping over $1000 on 2 speaks and an amp.

I just need something loud enough to hear from 55 mph to 85. The stock setup is too quiet.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; Today at 09:13 AM.
Old Today | 09:39 AM
ROaD-GliDeT
5th Gear

I'm in no way shape or form a sales guy for these dudes , but this is what I ordered. https://volunteeraudio.com/product/h...-audio-upgrade
I should receive it today , pretty stoked to get it installed.

Old Today | 10:49 AM
lowbar
Cruiser

I’m more about value than having the best SQ. I don’t want cheap, I want value. Bang for the buck. I’m not dropping over $1000 on 2 speaks and an amp.

I just need something loud enough to hear from 55 mph to 85. The stock setup is too quiet.
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I see two options that both come in right around $750. The Volunteer Audion system ROaD-GliDeT is installing and a similar system from J&M Audio. You could save ~$200 if you stick with the Harley speakers. J&M is going to be at Biketoberfest next week. I intend to check it out.

The following users liked this post:
ROaD-GliDeT (Today)
Old Today | 12:14 PM
ROaD-GliDeT
5th Gear

I will definitely let everyone know if this nearly 800$ kit is worth it. Still cheaper than the hd stage 2. The reviews on volunteer audio have me slightly concerned. However I figured the 200 saved plus them trying to sucker you into a 400$ install at the dealership seemed worth it to me so far. I worry about the quality of the amp I ordered. But they are backing it with "lifetime" tech support.

Old Today | 12:44 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ROaD-GliDeT
I will definitely let everyone know if this nearly 800$ kit is worth it. Still cheaper than the hd stage 2. The reviews on volunteer audio have me slightly concerned. However I figured the 200 saved plus them trying to sucker you into a 400$ install at the dealership seemed worth it to me so far. I worry about the quality of the amp I ordered. But they are backing it with "lifetime" tech support.
So what I've noticed over the years is that you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to motorcycle audio because it is just a different animal than other audio (car, boat, side by side). And it's all on what a guy wants to spend. No different than performance parts. Some guys are cool with just slip-ons, other wants a full build.

There's a lot of riders happy with stock Boom also.

I tend to suggest on this forum, the higher quality motorcycle audio specific parts because that's what I enjoy listening to on my bikes. And this is an "audio systems" forum, not a stock audio forum. But, I also want the best bang for my buck. But often times that comes at a cost.

So for your concerns, I think a $800 upgraded system (on a brand new platform) isn't a bad decision. Again, it's your money! It's not going to be the best or the worst! And I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

The following 2 users liked this post by cshocker:
BrandonSmith (Today), ROaD-GliDeT (Today)

Quick Reply: 2024 SG audio upgrade options??