Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GZ coax wtf is this from????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 07:11 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default GZ coax wtf is this from????

so I've had an eventful few days with my system, first my music would randomly sound like garbage, then be fine, I thought it was my Stinger amp, so while investigating and verifying the gains were set properly, the Stinger sent up the smoke signal of death, I bought a Sound Digital 800.4 to replace it, got it setup and bridged at 180w or so to the GZ's while it sounded better, still didn't sound great.

Not sure how I missed it, but this is the right side GZ, I seem to remember someone else having this issue, @golfblues if I'm not mistaken, wtf is this from? I never over drove them, tried them at 200w for all of 3 minutes as they sounded awful at that level, always had the high pass at 80-100

Old 08-30-2023, 08:22 PM
kloccwork419
Road Master
Received 372 Likes on 203 Posts

Looks like it was played wet or something. Between that and not know what was going on with the amp, could be blown. Id like to see pix under that and the spider. See if the spider is still connected to the basket. Ive had them (hertz) not fully glued to the basket from the factory. Easy fix if thats what happened

Last edited by kloccwork419; 08-30-2023 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:42 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by kloccwork419
Looks like it was played wet or something. Between that and not know what was going on with the amp, could be blown. Id like to see pix under that and the spider. See if the spider is still connected to the basket. Ive had them (hertz) not fully glued to the basket from the factory. Easy fix if thats what happened
I've ridden in the rain multiple times with them, aren't they treated for weather? I'll grab some pics...

Old 08-30-2023, 09:06 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member

so I took a peak, all is solid on the underside of the speaker, the cones are weak where the wrinkles are, it's odd as hell, as you said, it's as if they are weather worn, but the bike never stays out in the elements, but has been ridden in rain several times, as well as normal washes, but I don't spray water directly on them. They were purchased in February 2021, so warranty isn't happening

Last edited by scott_0; 08-30-2023 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:13 PM
kloccwork419
Road Master
Received 372 Likes on 203 Posts

These in your fairing or bags? They are weather treated but not water proof. Maybe got water behind them. Not sure. Looks bad. If I hit rain ill try to let my speakers dry out before I play music.

Last edited by kloccwork419; 08-30-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:21 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by kloccwork419
These in your fairing or bags? They are weather treated but not water proof. Maybe got water behind them. Not sure. Looks bad. If I hit rain ill try to let my speakers dry out before I play music.
they lived most of their life in my old Street Glide fairing, been in my Road Glide fairing since May, thanks for the input! either way they're toast, I really liked how they sounded, a local stereo shop has them in stock, I'll grab another pair Friday morning.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:09 PM
AkaReaper
Cruiser
Veteran: Army
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

That's wild. I run mine at 200watts off a DD Audio D4.125 and no issues. Love the sound. Now, mine are in pods, not sure how old your Street Glide was and if they were in pods or not, but looks like they got too wet and were played loud. I also run a rain cape in my fairing to keep water off anything that may drip in on the amp and the rest. Easy enough fix to replace, but maybe look at some type of external speaker cover for rain applications. Might even hit the cone with a weather proofing spray but I hear pro's and cons with that.

The following users liked this post:
scott_0 (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 10:50 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_0
so I've had an eventful few days with my system, first my music would randomly sound like garbage, then be fine, I thought it was my Stinger amp, so while investigating and verifying the gains were set properly, the Stinger sent up the smoke signal of death, I bought a Sound Digital 800.4 to replace it, got it setup and bridged at 180w or so to the GZ's while it sounded better, still didn't sound great.

Not sure how I missed it, but this is the right side GZ, I seem to remember someone else having this issue, @golfblues if I'm not mistaken, wtf is this from? I never over drove them, tried them at 200w for all of 3 minutes as they sounded awful at that level, always had the high pass at 80-100

I had a set do the same thing. It was from too much power and crossed to low (my own fault).

Since then, I set all of them at 200-225w and crossed at 120hz. I use a CC1 to make sure the crossover is set correctly.

You mentioned something bout your Stinger "sent up the smoke signal of death". So the amp was bad? If it was, that could certainly send a shix signal to the speaker and blow them.

scott_0 (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:54 AM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cshocker
I had a set do the same thing. It was from too much power and crossed to low (my own fault).

Since then, I set all of them at 200-225w and crossed at 120hz. I use a CC1 to make sure the crossover is set correctly.

You mentioned something bout your Stinger "sent up the smoke signal of death". So the amp was bad? If it was, that could certainly send a shix signal to the speaker and blow them.
I thought that as well, maybe the 200w I sent to them for those three minute test did them in, and I'm not sure what the deal with the amp was, but my music would sound awful randomly then be fine, so ultimately, I think the amp did them in. I will run the new ones at 180w max from my SD 800.4

Old 08-31-2023, 12:06 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_0
I thought that as well, maybe the 200w I sent to them for those three minute test did them in, and I'm not sure what the deal with the amp was, but my music would sound awful randomly then be fine, so ultimately, I think the amp did them in. I will run the new ones at 180w max from my SD 800.4
Yeah man, I recently replaced same Stinger amp. It was doing some weird random shix. Low volume or no volume. Then super loud and then nothing.

One last thing, assuming you have radio flashed?

scott_0 (08-31-2023)

Quick Reply: GZ coax wtf is this from????