Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting boom gts head unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 10:55 AM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Retrofitting boom gts head unit

Bought a GTS head unit pn 76000779B from an 2021 and have a few questions about installing it in my 2018.

1. Do i need to download software to make it back compatible or is it already preinstalled in the hd stock software once they came out with the retrofit kit for the older bikes?

2. does it need to be flashed at the dealer?

any tips would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:13 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

I think a 2021 bike would have came with the software making it backwards compatible, the update that made it backwards compatible was Software Update: MY20.19.39.00
Did the person you bought it from have any idea what software version it had on it before he took it out? Or what is the part number on the radio (post a pic of it), including the revision letter at the end of it?

It is easy to physically install once you get the outer faring off, unplug all the wires off the back of the stock one, then 4 bolts and its out... put the new one in, 4 bolts to hold it, then plug the wires right back into the new one.... so I would do that first, and save the money for the install.

Then turn it on...
If you get a "not compatible" message, then you're going to have to figure out how to get the software updated.... its doable, just a bit of a pain.

If it turns on and is just silent... take it to a dealer and get it "setup" for your configuration (amp(s), number of speakers, Etc.)... just out programming/"authorization" cost, here it would be 1/2 to 1 hour labor.

If it fires up and plays, and sounds right, then check everything to be sure everything you have is enabled and working (fade, Nav, intercom, Etc.)... same cost as above if you need a dealer to set it up for your bike's configuration.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-02-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:49 PM
Hd589
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
I think a 2021 bike would have came with the software making it backwards compatible, the update that made it backwards compatible was Software Update: MY20.19.39.00
Did the person you bought it from have any idea what software version it had on it before he took it out? Or what is the part number on the radio (post a pic of it), including the revision letter at the end of it?

It is easy to physically install once you get the outer faring off, unplug all the wires off the back of the stock one, then 4 bolts and its out... put the new one in, 4 bolts to hold it, then plug the wires right back into the new one.... so I would do that first, and save the money for the install.

Then turn it on...
If you get a "not compatible" message, then you're going to have to figure out how to get the software updated.... its doable, just a bit of a pain.

If it turns on and is just silent... take it to a dealer and get it "setup" for your configuration (amp(s), number of speakers, Etc.)... just out programming/"authorization" cost, here it would be 1/2 to 1 hour labor.

If it fires up and plays, and sounds right, then check everything to be sure everything you have is enabled and working (fade, Nav, intercom, Etc.)... same cost as above if you need a dealer to set it up for your bike's configuration.
from all the research I’ve done MY2021 would be backwards compatible.

another thing I’ve come across is that the road glide unit has a different bezel then the street glide and has to be modified.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:57 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

I agree, it should have the correct software already on it, I missed the part number in your first post... but with a "B" revision letter it should be good to go, software wise.

I too have heard there is a subtle difference in the bezels and that by crossing them up one way will result in a small gap (unless you do some "modifying"). But I can't remember crossing which one results in the gap, Street Glide GTS in a Road Glide or a Road Glide GTS in a Street Glide.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:09 PM
Hd589
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
I agree, it should have the correct software already on it, I missed the part number in your first post... but with a "B" revision letter it should be good to go, software wise.

I too have heard there is a subtle difference in the bezels and that by crossing them up one way will result in a small gap (unless you do some "modifying"). But I can't remember crossing which one results in the gap, Street Glide GTS in a Road Glide or a Road Glide GTS in a Street Glide.
Tested the unit first then installed earlier today, works perfect.
the road glide unit does leave a small gap which i could careless about but would be an easy fix to make it fit flush.

The following users liked this post:
Ssitruc (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 07:06 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Now find someone with a Centurion and enable TPMS in BCM and IC. Then install the TPMS senors.

Old 08-04-2023, 12:02 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Glad it worked out for you.

You will enjoy the GTS