Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taming the highs on the 6.5 GZ Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 08:25 PM
ELo
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Taming the highs on the 6.5 GZ Yellows

I'm still fighting with these things on my 19 SGS.

I have...
RF Flash
Stinger 700
Dayton 408 Dsp
250W to the Speakers
HPF at 100Hz BW

I added the dsp with the hopes of taming the harsh vocals. I ended up pulling out -8.5dB at 2k Hz which seemed to target this area and am still having issues. I've played with the Q and if I narrow it, the harshness starts to come back so i have it at 3. Dropping anything from 8k and up doesn't seems to do too much.

My main concern here is that it seems like I am pulling out alot just to get it tolerable. I don't remember it being this bad when I first installed the system without the dsp 2 months ago.

Could something be wrong here? Amp?

I did a voltage check on my gain settings and it was up a few volts from where set it. Should this have moved? I set it back to 31.6v and I have the same results

Any help is appreciated

The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (08-03-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 08:49 AM
fastsoup
Road Master
Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

I can't comment on the DSP settings, but I can say that when I fed them 250ish watts, running a Kenwood kmr-m332bt HU, I couldn't tolerate the piercing highs until I cut back on the "mid" section of the freq (which helped significantly). I believe I dropped the mid from 0 to -6, which tammed most if not all of that piercing highs. I bumped the bass up to +1 and the trebel to +2. For some that may be a loss of certain freq required to enjoy the song, but for my ears & set up, it works!

Now with that said, after that drop in the mids, I reconnected my oscilloscope, and at the same max volume, the speaker was only showing 26v now (which means the speakers are only getting 175w). Must be due to the dialing back of the mid freq.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:38 AM
ELo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fastsoup
I can't comment on the DSP settings, but I can say that when I fed them 250ish watts, running a Kenwood kmr-m332bt HU, I couldn't tolerate the piercing highs until I cut back on the "mid" section of the freq (which helped significantly). I believe I dropped the mid from 0 to -6, which tammed most if not all of that piercing highs. I bumped the bass up to +1 and the trebel to +2. For some that may be a loss of certain freq required to enjoy the song, but for my ears & set up, it works!

Now with that said, after that drop in the mids, I reconnected my oscilloscope, and at the same max volume, the speaker was only showing 26v now (which means the speakers are only getting 175w). Must be due to the dialing back of the mid freq.
I think I'm going to have to try to drop some from the 500 to 2000 range also. I can get them to sound great in the garage but at speed is always a different story.

Old 07-27-2023, 12:17 PM
fastsoup
Road Master
Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ELo
I think I'm going to have to try to drop some from the 500 to 2000 range also. I can get them to sound great in the garage but at speed is always a different story.
Yup...most of my adjustments were done on an open Hwy on the fly...garage adjustments are useless.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:41 AM
ELo
Cruiser

Here is where I am at right now. I did an RTA session to get a baseline and this was after riding/tuning. You can see from my freq numbers that I changed them all to focus on the problem areas to give me some more flexibility. I used the HP and LP to taper off the rest. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go about doing this because it was the first time I'm tuning. But hopefully we can get some comments or this can help some others get started.

One thing that still puzzles me is that some can run the GZ's and say they sound awesome and warm and others get these crazy highs that are unbearable. There is no chance any of this could have been tuned out with just the HPF.

NOTE: My master volume is at 0dB. It was just showing -20 since I was not connected,

Last edited by ELo; 07-31-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:25 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by ELo
I'm still fighting with these things on my 19 SGS.

I have...
RF Flash
Stinger 700
Dayton 408 Dsp
250W to the Speakers
HPF at 100Hz BW

I added the dsp with the hopes of taming the harsh vocals. I ended up pulling out -8.5dB at 2k Hz which seemed to target this area and am still having issues. I've played with the Q and if I narrow it, the harshness starts to come back so i have it at 3. Dropping anything from 8k and up doesn't seems to do too much.

My main concern here is that it seems like I am pulling out alot just to get it tolerable. I don't remember it being this bad when I first installed the system without the dsp 2 months ago.

Could something be wrong here? Amp?

I did a voltage check on my gain settings and it was up a few volts from where set it. Should this have moved? I set it back to 31.6v and I have the same results

Any help is appreciated
Shouldn't the HPF be set at 1000hz.....

Old 07-31-2023, 12:16 PM
ELo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by golfblues
Shouldn't the HPF be set at 1000hz.....
I had it set at 100Hz but bumped it up to 115Hz.

1000Hz would be crazy high unless you mistyped that.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:28 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by ELo
I had it set at 100Hz but bumped it up to 115Hz.

1000Hz would be crazy high unless you mistyped that.
I guess using a 1000hz test tone is different than setting it up with a DSP then.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:37 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

One thing to consider with any comparison between bike to bike, is the difference in the bikes
2013 and down no pods.....
2014 and up have speaker pods......
I have a 2012, and a 2005, both without pods.
I might be wrong, but I suspect their is a difference in tone, and difference in wattage required to get the same volume in my 2012 vs a newer bike with speaker pods.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:00 PM
ELo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by golfblues
I guess using a 1000hz test tone is different than setting it up with a DSP then.
This is all new to me so forgive me if I speak incorrectly.

I used the 1000Hz -5dB test tone and set the gain to 31.6v like the Sticky above says. I did this with the EQ in the DSP bypassed. Then I set my HPF afterwards. The amp was set to "All Pass or Full" since I'm using the DSP

Quick Reply: Taming the highs on the 6.5 GZ Yellows