Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Static through speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 07:09 AM
Venomrgs
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

to answer your other question no matter how I play the radio, Bluetooth, or usb when muted the hiss is present
Radio stations are pretty much useless after I put a stubby antenna on so I mainly Bluetooth from my iPhone plus I think class d amps destroy fm signal anyway

Old 02-24-2023, 07:18 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

I get a low static sound when volume is muted but once the volume goes up, it quickly over powers the static and it's much more than a minor annoyance, the static never gets any louder just the music when the volume goes up. I've had that with both my stock GTS and HDHU14.si radios when running my Cicada setup.

The following users liked this post:
hamah (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 11:03 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

It sounds like you are hearing floor noise if it is only audible when muted or at low volume. IMO it’s not worth worrying about unless you listen to music on the bike at low volume with the engine off in a quiet environment (you won’t). There is likely not anything to be gained by the hassle involved in going down that rabbit hole.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:43 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

[QUOTE=Venomrgs;21087965]
Originally Posted by Babyboy
How far away from the speaker are you when listening for the floor noise (static)?

Was the floor noise noticeable before any work was done IE adding ground,replacing speakers??

When hearing the noise is there music playing and on pause or is it a station that isn't tuned in?[/

sitting at riding position I can hear it faintly but once the amp and dsp are hooked up it is very noticeable. I know the dsp is going to make it worse but is there a way to clean up the signal being sent from the radio

I have read some people use the pac sn-1 and it has helped quite a bit

I can try moving the ground back to the battery negative terminal but it was doing it before I upgraded the ground and I was originally grounded to the battery but if that was the case I wouldn’t be getting the noise right now because I don’t even have the amp on the bike right now

I have both power and ground run down the backbone of the bike inside the plastic tunnel with all the bikes original wiring, don’t know if You will have a minamthat could be giving me some of the issue .

I never noticed if the hiss was there with original setup because I never muted the bike I could be chasing my tail for no reason since I don’t often mute the bike but I’m worried if I set the gains on the amp it will be louder that I can hear it at low volumes

You will have a minimal amount of floor noise.
When you upgraded the speakers they have a different sensitivity from stock which will add to the floor noise.

When adding a DSP and amp the input gains on the DSP need to be set up properly to keep the floor noise at a minimum.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:51 PM
Venomrgs
Intermediate

I’ll try installing everything as normal and finish the install including flashing the radio. I’m sure I can minimize with the dsp and see how it comes out

thanks for the info this was beginning to drive me nuts hopefully this is it but I’ll let you know

Old 02-24-2023, 03:57 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

I upgraded to a GTS , SD amps , HKI mini DSP ,and GZ yellow baskets. My system was pre- built and tuned before it was shipped to me . I also have this same noise going on with my 2014 ,sounds almost like between signal FM static but I'm running a USB flashdrive direct .

I hear it clearly with the volume all the way down and a little bit at 1 but after that it's either drowned out or gone. I was going to check my new ground I added with this upgrade but it sounds fairly common after reading through this thread ?

Old 02-24-2023, 04:52 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopit
I upgraded to a GTS , SD amps , HKI mini DSP ,and GZ yellow baskets. My system was pre- built and tuned before it was shipped to me . I also have this same noise going on with my 2014 ,sounds almost like between signal FM static but I'm running a USB flashdrive direct .

I hear it clearly with the volume all the way down and a little bit at 1 but after that it's either drowned out or gone. I was going to check my new ground I added with this upgrade but it sounds fairly common after reading through this thread ?
Yes, the noise floor inherent in all systems can drive the OCD crazy trying to eliminate or even reduce it (ask me how I know). IMO If you can't hear it at normal listening volumes it's a non-issue.

Last edited by hamah; 02-24-2023 at 04:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stopit (02-24-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:31 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
It sounds like you are hearing floor noise if it is only audible when muted or at low volume. IMO it’s not worth worrying about unless you listen to music on the bike at low volume with the engine off in a quiet environment (you won’t). There is likely not anything to be gained by the hassle involved in going down that rabbit hole.
Originally Posted by hamah
Yes, the noise floor inherent in all systems can drive the OCD crazy trying to eliminate or even reduce it (ask me how I know). IMO If you can't hear it at normal listening volumes it's a non-issue.
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. It's just a minor "well it didn't do that before" annoyance. I turned the gain all the way down (and even cranked it up) and the volume of the static on mute never changed so I'm ready to accept it's a "feature" and not a bug.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:26 AM
Venomrgs
Intermediate

That is the only difference I am having from everyone else I think. If I turn up the gains on the amp the static gets louder if I turn the gains all the way down the static is very hard to hear. I understand most amps run at about 11 o clock on the gain level and at that level it isn’t horrible. I have to finish the install this weekend get the radio flashed and then I will set all the gains by O scope and see what it sounds like