Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS no carplay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 04:23 PM
Fitter449
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GTS no carplay?

Hey guys, I recently installed a GTS into my uncles 2018 street glide cvo. I bought the radio from another member here (it was an excellent transaction), the radio is out of a 2021 road glide he also sent the carplay jumper plug. Unfortunately, the locating tabs for the carplay adapter on the bike is in a different location then the newer models. I checked the wiring diagrams of both years and they appear to be the same other than the locating tabs, so I filed of the one misaligned ear and slid the jumper plug on and still cannot get carplay to work. Is it possible when the dealer flashed and updated the radio they locked out carplay?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-21-2023, 05:08 PM
16_Tri-Glide
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Which version of software is on the GTS radio?

Old 02-21-2023, 05:09 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

Do you have either WHIM or a wired headset system installed, and what kind of "jumper plug" are you using?

I thought the 2018 CVO's came with WHIM.

There is a few variations of "jumpers"... one that plugs into a headset jack on a wired system, another that plugs in under the fairing into a connector, or just a spade connector shorting two pins in that same connector in the fairing. The last two of these would be on bikes with no headset system (wired or wireless)... because with a headset system installed the "jumper" would not have anyplace to plug in under the fairing, because the correct connector is already being used for the headset system.

But the only thing I have seen where the Dealer mess it up is if you are using the jumper method in the fairing (because you have neither a wired or WHIM headsets system) and IF the dealer inadvertently enables WHIM the jumper won't work.

I believe the same is true if you have a wired system, and you use the dummy plug, that plugs into a headset jack, if they inadvertently enable WHIM when they are flashing the head unit, then the jumper isn't going to work.

If one of those two scenarios is yours, have the dealer check the WHIM setting and be sure its disabled... because you don't have WHIM and its interfering with what you want to do.

If the bike has WHIM, I don't know how you are going to use a jumper.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 02-21-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:03 PM
Fitter449
Novice

Originally Posted by 16_Tri-Glide
Which version of software is on the GTS radio?
I'm not 100% sure the bike is back at my uncles or I would check. I'd assume, which I hate doing that its the latest update, since he just had it flashed last week, but its hard to say.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:06 PM
Fitter449
Novice

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Do you have either WHIM or a wired headset system installed, and what kind of "jumper plug" are you using?

I thought the 2018 CVO's came with WHIM.

There is a few variations of "jumpers"... one that plugs into a headset jack on a wired system, another that plugs in under the fairing into a connector, or just a spade connector shorting two pins in that same connector in the fairing. The last two of these would be on bikes with no headset system (wired or wireless)... because with a headset system installed the "jumper" would not have anyplace to plug in under the fairing, because the correct connector is already being used for the headset system.

But the only thing I have seen where the Dealer mess it up is if you are using the jumper method in the fairing (because you have neither a wired or WHIM headsets system) and IF the dealer inadvertently enables WHIM the jumper won't work.

I believe the same is true if you have a wired system, and you use the dummy plug, that plugs into a headset jack, if they inadvertently enable WHIM when they are flashing the head unit, then the jumper isn't going to work.

If one of those two scenarios is yours, have the dealer check the WHIM setting and be sure its disabled... because you don't have WHIM and its interfering with what you want to do.

If the bike has WHIM, I don't know how you are going to use a jumper.
I thought the cvos came with the whim as well, but theres nothing plugged into that connection. The jumper I have is just the dummy plug you can get off of amazon for like 20 bucks. I'm going to try to get over to his house this week and see for sure whats going on. Maybe its like you said the dealer activated the whim thinking it was there and its not.
Thanks for all the info

Old 02-22-2023, 07:27 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

I used the same amazon jumper before and after the latest software update and it worked either way

Old 02-22-2023, 09:53 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

First be sure the bike doesn't have WHIM, if so ain't gonna work because WHIM will be plugged into the connector the jumper is made for.

Same thing for a Wired system, but on those you can find a "headset dummy plug" jumper to use instead. Although they tend to be quite a bit more pricey
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29420462225...l5x000axp00004

Next, this makes me wonder if you are using the right connector on the bike's harness, because you wrote "Unfortunately, the locating tabs for the carplay adapter on the bike is in a different location then the newer models." I could be wrong, but unless your jumper's plug is wrong you shouldn't have had to do that... if you had the right connector on the bike.

I also am "assuming" you're using a jumper like this one

If for sure no WHIM or Wired headset installed on bike, be sure you have the right connector. Its a "grey" connector per the manual, some people describe it as beige, its connector [280]. It should have a black rubber plug/cap over it if it is not in use. Like this one (note there is also a black one just like it, it is not the black one, the black one I believe is for adding a CB module)

Then this is that same connector with the jumper plugged in to it.

Now, If the bike does not have a wired or WHIM system installed, and the jumper is plugged into the right connector on the bike's harness, the one thing that will make the jumper not work is if the dealer inadvertently enabled WHIM during the programming/flashing of the head unit. If that is the case, WHIM will just need to be disabled because it doesn't have WHIM and your jumper should work.

Here's another jumper option

Good Luck!

Last edited by Ssitruc; 02-22-2023 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 01:24 PM
Fitter449
Novice

First be sure the bike doesn't have WHIM, if so ain't gonna work because WHIM will be plugged into the connector the jumper is made for.

Same thing for a Wired system, but on those you can find a "headset dummy plug" jumper to use instead. Although they tend to be quite a bit more pricey
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29420462225...l5x000axp00004

Next, this makes me wonder if you are using the right connector on the bike's harness, because you wrote "Unfortunately, the locating tabs for the carplay adapter on the bike is in a different location then the newer models." I could be wrong, but unless your jumper's plug is wrong you shouldn't have had to do that... if you had the right connector on the bike.

I also am "assuming" you're using a jumper like this one

If for sure no WHIM or Wired headset installed on bike, be sure you have the right connector. Its a "grey" connector per the manual, some people describe it as beige, its connector [280]. It should have a black rubber plug/cap over it if it is not in use. Like this one (note there is also a black one just like it, it is not the black one, the black one I believe is for adding a CB module)

Then this is that same connector with the jumper plugged in to it.

Now, If the bike does not have a wired or WHIM system installed, and the jumper is plugged into the right connector on the bike's harness, the one thing that will make the jumper not work is if the dealer inadvertently enabled WHIM during the programming/flashing of the head unit. If that is the case, WHIM will just need to be disabled because it doesn't have WHIM and your jumper should work.

Here's another jumper option

Good Luck!
The jumper plug I have is just like the one you posted, I think the problem is that the bike the radio is in, is a 2018, and that dummy plug is for 2019 and up. I looked at both wiring diagrams and they look identical. I'm thinking harley switched the locating tab so guys couldnt swap the 2014-2018 whim stuff into the 19+ bikes. I'm thinking they have the whim turned on and its not there.

Thanks again everyone for giving me ideas to bounce around.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:00 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

The reason it says "2019 and up" on your jumper's info page, or wherever, is because HD didn't start putting the GTS head units in the bikes until 2019, so an older bike was assumed to have a GT head unit in it, and the jumper wouldn't work on a GT... because the GT head unit isn't CarPlay capable. Their description should say "Harley Davidsons with GTS Head Units", instead of "2019 & up"... because there are 2019 model bikes that don't have a GTS in them

The whim harness is actually for 2014 thru 2017 (#69201726)... then for 2018 and later's WHIM harness it is #69201751.
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....3?locale=en_US (see "Install Harness")

Sooooooo, while I believe the connector you are suppose to be looking for is the same 2014 and later, it is for sure the same 2018 and later.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:23 PM
Fitter449
Novice

The reason it says "2019 and up" on your jumper's info page, or wherever, is because HD didn't start putting the GTS head units in the bikes until 2019, so an older bike was assumed to have a GT head unit in it, and the jumper wouldn't work on a GT... because the GT head unit isn't CarPlay capable. Their description should say "Harley Davidsons with GTS Head Units", instead of "2019 & up"... because there are 2019 model bikes that don't have a GTS in them

The whim harness is actually for 2014 thru 2017 (#69201726)... then for 2018 and later's WHIM harness it is #69201751.
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....3?locale=en_US (see "Install Harness")

Sooooooo, while I believe the connector you are suppose to be looking for is the same 2014 and later, it is for sure the same 2018 and later.
ahhhhhhh, that makes complete sense. I didnt even think about it like that 🤦🏻‍♂️. In another turn of events i had my uncle face time me and it turns out i completely missed the whim module in his bike. It's tucked why back in the fairing. So with that being said the csrplay should work with the whim, or am I mistaken about that.

Quick Reply: GTS no carplay?