Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB / CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 12:31 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

How about this, what headset are you using?
You're not using WHIM are you? Because of your mentioning the jumper thing, I'm assuming not...
But clarify that... unless you are wired and using the corded half helmet HD headsets, then see below.

Just for fun...
What happens if you unplug the CB and use the headset (mic) instead of the jumper? Plug iPhone into USB, still no CarPlay? Then its the headset, right?

Then with the CB hooked up, and the jumper. Plug iPhone into USB, CarPlay still work? if so again pointing to headset, right?

Then, CB hooked up, and headset (mic) also connected, and no jumper installed... then be sure CB is not "turned on" on the head unit... make any difference? (probably not)

I read where one of the wired headsets wouldn't "trigger" something right where CarPlay would recognize it was connected... but it was mentioned on the HD site that it wasn't CarPlay compatible or something similar under "Details" for the headset.

Edit, found it:
This is the one not CarPlay compatible HD #76572-09 Boom! Audio Half Helmet and Communications Headset, look under "Details"
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...set/p/76572-09

FWIW, IF its the headsets... I got a pair of the "Premium" HD wired headsets to use on my half helmets, but my half helmet has "pocket" flaps that hang down that I slid the speakers into, and they work great... CarPlay and otherwise. HD #77117-10
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...set/p/77117-10

Last edited by Ssitruc; 01-16-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:51 PM
KerryRodriguez10
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Boom Audio 1/2 Helmet Music and Communication Headset. With CB unplugged and no jumper CarPlay does not work.

CB hooked up, headset connected, CB off - still no CarPlay.

The CarPlay did work when an android was attached.

I am now getting this message “no microphone connected”. CB is plugged in and headset is plugged in. I’ve tried this with and without the CB on.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:33 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Wired headsets?
If so, are they part number HD #76572-09?

If so, on the HD site, under "Details" for those headsets it says:
"Fits ’98-later FLHTCU, FLHTCUSE, FLHTK, FLHTKSE, FLTRU, FLTRUSE and FLHTCUTG models. Also fits with vehicles equipped with Communication Switch Kit P/N 77173-08 or Boom! Audio Music and Intercom Kits. Not compatible with Apple Car Play."

I believe I read somewhere that the "not CarPlay compatible" part refers to exactly the problem you're having... for some reason it doesn't see the mic hooked up with that headset, and CarPlay won't be "available" if it doesn't see a headset (mic)... hence why people use the jumper.... but when you want to use a headset (mic) the jumper is going to be a problem...

Read the part in my previous post about using the other headsets (Premium Headset), if that'll work for you maybe.

Another "fix" is find a Indy with Diag4Bike or TechnoResearch, and they can change some settings and make CarPlay work with or without a headset (mic) hooked up, if they know how... only down side is if you take your bike to a HD dealership to work on your bike, and they hook up DigitalTech, they could inadvertently screw the settings up and you'd have to have the Indy reset the settings. I have Diag4Bike and do this on mine, it is easy.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 01-16-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:34 PM
KerryRodriguez10
6th Gear

I am just wondering why this same set up works on my friend’s bike and not mine. We have the exact same motorcycle right down to the same year. He gave me the parts list he used and his works. Confused. I’m

Old 01-16-2023, 02:28 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

I don't know... but there is a lot of missing information to try to trouble shoot
Is this friend "with the same everything" the same friend that uses an Android? If so that could be it... but I did not know that CarPlay would work with an Android, I thought Android's used Android Auto.

If he has an Android, and is using Android Auto, then thats not the same thing, and could be the reason his is working and yours is not. Meaning, that CarPlay just doesn't like the headsets that says they're not CarPlay compatible. But the same headset may be fine with/for Android Auto... but I do not know anything about that, I haven't messed with Androids or Android Auto.

But, IF he's also using an iPhone, and CarPlay, this is what I'd do:
1) Try pairing your iPhone to his bike, and use your headset with his bike... and see what happens.
If it your "equipment" works on his bike, but not on yours, that would be interesting.
2) If it doesn't, while you're still paired with his, try his headsets... and see what happens.
3) Also, try his headsets on your bike.
4) Then try your headset on his bike, with his phone...

That way you can sort out what the problem actually is.

I am going to bet that he's got an Android, and is using Android Auto, and whatever the issue is with that half helmet wired headset is with CarPlay, and it isn't a problem with Android Auto for some reason...

Last edited by Ssitruc; 01-16-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:35 PM
KerryRodriguez10
6th Gear

The friend with the same set up has an iPhone. I will definitely have to try his phone on my bike and vice versus. As well as the headset.

I just read somewhere that maybe when the dealer flashed the CB they enabled WHIM which I do not have.

This is all so frustrating but you have been very helpful.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:51 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Well they very well may have messed up a setting but... if I remember right, that jumper wouldn't work either if WHIM was enabled...
I can't think of another setting that would have an impact on this though... I'll dig thru my Diag4Bike and see if I can find anything.

Hopefully they got your CB working right! Have you tested it?

Last edited by Ssitruc; 01-16-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:58 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

I believe the issue with the older headset or 1/2 helmet was the same as with the Sena Freewire. The mic impedance was too high. In the case of OP's headset working at one point but not now (or working on a different bike/setup) was that it's likely just on the threshold and he got lucky...or unlucky. The thread where this was discussed is here.

The following 2 users liked this post by hamah:
Juan L (01-18-2023), Ssitruc (01-16-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:36 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by KerryRodriguez10
The friend with the same set up has an iPhone. I will definitely have to try his phone on my bike and vice versus. As well as the headset.

I just read somewhere that maybe when the dealer flashed the CB they enabled WHIM which I do not have.

This is all so frustrating but you have been very helpful.
Hi Kerry - this is Don.

As I shared, the android auto works differently than the apply carplay. When I plugged my android into your bike, it worked because it was already set up. Carplay is also setup on your bike.

You were using that connector plug - but only needed that if you were trying to be wireless or didn't have a headset. You have already added the headset to your bike - so, carplay was working.

When you installed the CB and had the dealer flash it, my bet is the digital tech told your bike that it had the WHIM. Have them look at it - and, make sure they Turn Off The WHIM. Note: Check all before you leave (CB working - carplay activated - WHIM is Off)

Once this is done, completely unpair your phone. Also, shut the bike completely down. Wait just a few moments for all to reset. Now, plug in the headset and turn the bike on. Next pair your phone. My bet is you will have everything working now.

Good luck - hope we see you soon.
Don & Solveigh

Last edited by cycle7447; 01-17-2023 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:08 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by KerryRodriguez10
Boom Audio 1/2 Helmet Music and Communication Headset. With CB unplugged and no jumper CarPlay does not work.

CB hooked up, headset connected, CB off - still no CarPlay.

The CarPlay did work when an android was attached.

I am now getting this message “no microphone connected”. CB is plugged in and headset is plugged in. I’ve tried this with and without the CB on.
I'm confused (yes, I confuse easy) but how does CarPlay come up with an Android plugged in? Wouldn't it be Android Auto?

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Wired headsets?
If so, are they part number HD #76572-09?

If so, on the HD site, under "Details" for those headsets it says:
"Fits ’98-later FLHTCU, FLHTCUSE, FLHTK, FLHTKSE, FLTRU, FLTRUSE and FLHTCUTG models. Also fits with vehicles equipped with Communication Switch Kit P/N 77173-08 or Boom! Audio Music and Intercom Kits. Not compatible with Apple Car Play."

I believe I read somewhere that the "not CarPlay compatible" part refers to exactly the problem you're having... for some reason it doesn't see the mic hooked up with that headset, and CarPlay won't be "available" if it doesn't see a headset (mic)... hence why people use the jumper.... but when you want to use a headset (mic) the jumper is going to be a problem...

Read the part in my previous post about using the other headsets (Premium Headset), if that'll work for you maybe.

Another "fix" is find a Indy with Diag4Bike or TechnoResearch, and they can change some settings and make CarPlay work with or without a headset (mic) hooked up, if they know how... only down side is if you take your bike to a HD dealership to work on your bike, and they hook up DigitalTech, they could inadvertently screw the settings up and you'd have to have the Indy reset the settings. I have Diag4Bike and do this on mine, it is easy.
This is your answer. If I plug in my 1/2 helmet headset, CarPlay switches off. If I plug my Premium headset in (my 3/4 helmet), CarPlay continues to work. As Ssitruc has already pointed out, it states right in HD's that the 1/2 helmet headset is not compatible with CarPlay. Maybe the 1/2 helmet headset is compatible with Android Auto...I don't know??

I also added a CB to my 2020 RGL and it has no effect on CarPlay, one way or another.

Quick Reply: CB / CarPlay