Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers for 2009 UC with PN4.1000?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 11:44 AM
MegaJohn
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Speakers for 2009 UC with PN4.1000?

Greetings! I was a good boy this year and unwrapped a Soundstream PN4.1000 Christmas morning... now I need to select/purchase speakers to go with it (batwing fairing & tour pack pods).

I plan to use the stock, HK head unit for now with speaker level inputs to the amp. I'm not too concerned with price, but would like to keep the cost below $600-700 for the speakers. We listen to 70s & 80s rock & country mostly... with a few current hits. We use our iPod with the AUX input. I'm not interested in competition level sound... just a warmer, fuller sound and the ability to get more volume without distortion. I do not plan to run a DSP or upgrade my HU anytime soon. I've see a lot of speaker options posted over the years and understand amp/speaker combination and tune make or breaks a setup.

Several years ago I followed this thread on building a pre-Rushmore system - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...med-audio.html. The group put together the following components - WDX6 Motos with adapters in the fairing; SoundStream PN4.1000d amp; AD Designs CX6 speakers with 1/4" speaker spacer rings for rear pods.

What speakers are others running (and would recommend) with the stock HU & PN4.1000?

Thanks,
John.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:58 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

I'm going to go against the majority.
I would suggest the Precision Power 6.5's (2ohm) in the fairing and 5.25" (2 ohm) for your pods.

Here's my reasons:
1) You specifically mentioned "warmer". Most of the pro audio coax motorcycle speakers that are out here are not warm. The SS amp does not add any warmth as well. These will add warmth with your type of music selection
2) They come in 2 ohm version
3) The 5.25" will drop right into your stock pods
4) They are marine
5) In your price range

I have personal experience with their 6.5" and 5x7". I installed them on a newer CVO. Gave them about 200 watts each and was impressed on how they sounded and so was the bike owner. At highway speed with full face helmet, she can hear loud and clear.

https://motorcycleaudio.com/product/mas-65/
https://motorcycleaudio.com/product/mas-52/

Old 12-30-2022, 09:51 AM
MegaJohn
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback cshocker.

Is the MAS.52 Speakers sold as Precision Power HD13.522 (2 Ohm) and the MAS.65 Speakers as Precision Power HD14.652 (2 Ohm)? Searching for the Precision Power parts, the HD parts come up... it seems to be the same speakers with the various grills.

Looking over the specs for these speakers... it seems they're rated 75/100W. At 2 Ohm load the PN4.1000 is rated at 250W x 4. Will this power level to these speakers cause reliability issues down the road?

Thanks,
John.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:19 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by MegaJohn
Thanks for the feedback cshocker.

Is the MAS.52 Speakers sold as Precision Power HD13.522 (2 Ohm) and the MAS.65 Speakers as Precision Power HD14.652 (2 Ohm)? Searching for the Precision Power parts, the HD parts come up... it seems to be the same speakers with the various grills.

Looking over the specs for these speakers... it seems they're rated 75/100W. At 2 Ohm load the PN4.1000 is rated at 250W x 4. Will this power level to these speakers cause reliability issues down the road?

Thanks,
John.
Yes the packages come with extra grills for Street Glides and Road Glides. You will still need a 5.25 to 6.5 adapter for fairing speakers.

You have to set the amp up correctly to not damage the speakers. You could a 5000 watt amp to the speakers... as long as you set the gains correctly. You set the gains to whatever wattage is needed for the speakers (see sticky on gain settings). Also, just because that amp says it's 250w, does not mean it's clean power at 250 watts. That's the difference between a cheap amp and quality amp. But, this amp will work for your setup. I've ran 200w to the 6.5's for a summer now and they handle it just fine. You would need to play around with wattage and see what works best.

Now these speakers will not be as loud as say some GZ coax or Mmats coax. But you aren't looking for just a loud *** speakers. You are looking for warm speakers for rock and country.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:04 AM
fastsoup
Road Master
Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Shocks got you covered...but in the case you decide to want a warm speaker that can get nice & loud...I have a set of mmats pa601cx in box with little hrs on them. I'm up in Canada...not sure your location but last I checked, they were out of stock.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:41 AM
MegaJohn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fastsoup
Shocks got you covered...but in the case you decide to want a warm speaker that can get nice & loud...I have a set of mmats pa601cx in box with little hrs on them. I'm up in Canada...not sure your location but last I checked, they were out of stock.
Thanks Fastsoup... I saw your listing. Unfortunately, I'm down in Georgia, USA.

Old 12-30-2022, 01:22 PM
MegaJohn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cshocker
Yes the packages come with extra grills for Street Glides and Road Glides. You will still need a 5.25 to 6.5 adapter for fairing speakers.

You have to set the amp up correctly to not damage the speakers. You could a 5000 watt amp to the speakers... as long as you set the gains correctly. You set the gains to whatever wattage is needed for the speakers (see sticky on gain settings). Also, just because that amp says it's 250w, does not mean it's clean power at 250 watts. That's the difference between a cheap amp and quality amp. But, this amp will work for your setup. I've ran 200w to the 6.5's for a summer now and they handle it just fine. You would need to play around with wattage and see what works best.

Now these speakers will not be as loud as say some GZ coax or Mmats coax. But you aren't looking for just a loud *** speakers. You are looking for warm speakers for rock and country.
Thank you CShocker. I've placed an order for the HD13522 & HD14652 speakers.

Happy new year!

Old 12-30-2022, 01:22 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsoup
What did you put in the lowers Soup?

Old 12-30-2022, 02:49 PM
fastsoup
Road Master
Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
What did you put in the lowers Soup?
​​​​​​Planning on a set of PRV 6MR500CF. I'm hoping the ability to send tons of power down below, mixed with the 250w being sent the YB's in the fairing and 150w to the Neo's in the TP will be the sweet spot...if not, a DSP will be in play by summer I am sure...with this being my goal.
​​​​

The following users liked this post:
Fireball Jack (12-30-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 10:41 AM
MegaJohn
Cruiser

I'm sure I will have more questions... is it recommended to install boom mat or baffle of some sort behind the fairing or tour pack speakers?

Thanks,
John.

Quick Reply: Speakers for 2009 UC with PN4.1000?