Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimal EQ Settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 08:57 AM
SSG_B
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 181 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Optimal EQ Settings

What is the best way to optimize the eq settings? I have the Soundstream HDHU14+ with Hertz neo 6.5 in fairings and Hertz neo 6x9 in lids. Precision amp. I feel like sound is lacking and the stock presets are crap.

18 Ultra Limited

Last edited by SSG_B; 12-01-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:42 PM
transman
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Volunteer Audio. They sell all that stuff and have recommended settings for them as well.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:19 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by SSG_B
What is the best way to optimize the eq settings? I have the Soundstream HDHU14+ with Hertz neo 6.5 in fairings and Hertz neo 6x9 in lids. Precision amp. I feel like sound is lacking and the stock presets are crap.

18 Ultra Limited
What do you feel is lacking?

What are your crossovers set at on amp?

Did you set gains with a DD1 or scope or multi-meter?

Old 12-01-2022, 04:48 PM
SSG_B
Tourer

Volunteer Audio setup my amp before they shipped the system. I feel as though it needs some mid bass but it’s really hard because I’ve lost a lot of my hearing in the military. Tbh it probably sounds great to everyone else. I e tried some of the preset settings in the eq but current it’s set flat.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:01 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Volunteer Audio setup my amp before they shipped the system. I feel as though it needs some mid bass but it’s really hard because I’ve lost a lot of my hearing in the military. Tbh it probably sounds great to everyone else. I e tried some of the preset settings in the eq but current it’s set flat.
Gotcha.
I would try reaching out to Volunteer and see what they have for EQ recommendations. I know they have some for your setup.

You are a little light on power to get the most midbass out of those speakers. That amp is rated and produces around 100w x4. Getting more power, especially to those 6x9's would help. I'm also assuming they setup your amps conservatively to keep them from blowing. You could try decreasing the HP filter for the 6x9.

The following users liked this post:
SSG_B (12-09-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 02:24 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

18 Ultra Limited
I'm running a little over 300 watts to my Hertz Neo 6x9s but I've spent a lot of time tuning them with an oscilloscope. I'm afraid I didn't catch the model of your amp, but maybe you could bridge it and get a smaller amp just to power the front speakers?

Also keep in mind that loud pipes will wipe out most of your mid bass. I have a few sets of mufflers and windshields I rotate through at the temperature changes. With a 12" recurve windshield and stock mufflers my system sounds ten times better than with a short shield and Devil Went Down to Georgia mufflers. I can really hear the mid bass well with the reduced wind and exhaust noise. Once things get sporty a lot of it gets wiped out.

The following users liked this post:
SSG_B (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 06:38 PM
SSG_B
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I'm running a little over 300 watts to my Hertz Neo 6x9s but I've spent a lot of time tuning them with an oscilloscope. I'm afraid I didn't catch the model of your amp, but maybe you could bridge it and get a smaller amp just to power the front speakers?

Also keep in mind that loud pipes will wipe out most of your mid bass. I have a few sets of mufflers and windshields I rotate through at the temperature changes. With a 12" recurve windshield and stock mufflers my system sounds ten times better than with a short shield and Devil Went Down to Georgia mufflers. I can really hear the mid bass well with the reduced wind and exhaust noise. Once things get sporty a lot of it gets wiped out.
thanks for the reply. I have the Precision Power MAA400.4 amp. I might just try what you have suggested. Will just need to find another amp at some point. I have the factory windshield as far as I can tell. Bought the bike used and is my 1st Harley. My exhaust is not over bearing but not quiet either. Runs at 80 decibel at idle. I would like to run some lower fairing speakers probably this coming summer so I’ll save up for that setup and a good amp to push both.