Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Car Play Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 05:12 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

stumbled on this yesterday. I know nothing about car play no reason to ever use it.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:53 PM
bson
HDF Community Team
Received 211 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
so you have Car Play working with no mic?
I have a jumper plugged in where the WHIM would go.

Last edited by bson; 11-06-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:27 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
stumbled on this yesterday. I know nothing about car play no reason to ever use it.

Smitty, FYI.... I was talking to Carlos at TechnoResearch about a month ago, he said that on this screen you posted, under "Bluetooth" if you enable BOTH WHIM and PHONE that will make CarPlay work whether or not you have a headset (mic) connected or not. The headset (mic) will work if it is connected, but CarPlay will work even if a headset (mic) is not.... no "jumper" required. I use Diag4Bike, and it has a setting specifically for doing this, and when I was talking to Carlos at TechnoResearch last month I was asking him about why theirs didn't, thats how we got on the subject, I was comparing the two products abilities. I had been doing CarPlay with and without a headset (mic) for a few years and without having to do the jumper thing, and couldn't believe their software did not have the ability... he let me know it actually did have the ability and how to do it.
I know for a fact it works on Diag4Bike, thats what I use at home, but I haven't actually done it myself with CenturionSuperPro (I have a license for my bike on my brother's Centurion).
Just passing it on.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 11-06-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:30 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I ordered an Auto Sky and I have this thing but lost the directions, but I think I can fine ware it plugs into. Other than the auto sky is this the jumper I will need?

Old 11-07-2022, 08:20 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Those two things (jumper and AutoSky module) and you should be good to go to get CarPlay available WITHOUT a headset, so you just can "listen" or watch the stuff, you wont be able to use the audio input (mic) functions though, because of the jumper. IF at some point you wanted to use a headset (mic), you will have to take the jumper out first for the headset (mic) to work.

Have you tested and got CarPlay working with your factory setup, by plugging in your phone to the USB and using the headsets that came with your bike? I would do that first, and be sure you have that down first.

After that I would then add things incrementally and test before moving on to the next thing....
After I first got CarPlay working the way it was intended, I would first add the jumper and then test, with the phone plugged into the usb still, that the system will connect without a headset (mic) connected.

Then, if that worked good, I would then add the AutoSky module (it plugs into the USB cord), without a headset (mic) connected and without the phone plugged into the USB, and get that all working and get an understanding of what to expect.

That way at any point you know if an issue kicks up what to pin point it to.

FWIW, the "jumper" is a great option to get CarPlay functions for bikes without WHIM and no headset jacks on the bike.... but as far as for your bike, with the wired headsets jacks on the bike from the factory, know this, if you ever want to use your headsets you will have to first take the jumper off for the mic to work on your headsets. That's why if I was going to do what you are doing, on a bike with a factory wired headsets, I would have used a "plug" jumper like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25579815514...SABEgKFj_D_BwE
but they are really pricey! I haven't seen them any cheaper, but I haven't really looked too hard either... and I don't know why they are that expensive. But the "plus side" of them though is that if you want to use a headset (mic) you can just unplug the adapter, without having to pull the fairing, then just plug in your headset. Know this too, if you go this more expensive route, with the "plug" style jumper, for some reason some people have had to plug them into the passenger's headset jack to get them to work....

I hope all that clears up what each part does and makes the process easier for you.

I do the old software hack, that does not require any jumper, and I use the AutoSky module... but I also have Diag4Bike to redo the "hack" if I have a HD Dealer do work on my bike and they screw up my settings, so I can put it back like I have it... and I have had to redo my settings a couple times after the dealer got done with my bike, like when I switched out the BCM so I could add TPMS to my bike... no big deal though and it only takes me a few minutes to change my settings back, but this takes away the need for any "jumper/plug" on my RGU, and CarPlay works with or without a headset (mic) connected and because of the AutoSky module the phone can stay in my pocket... just turn the bike on and go.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 11-07-2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:51 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Don't think I will ever use the headset. I like the HD adapter 80 bucks worth it to me no work involved. I guess with that I won't need the auto sky? Now I use pandora on my phone not pluged in but only get one station. And if you don't know I am now I am technology challenged. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:59 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Yes, it works with my phone plugged into the bike and head set plugged in.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:49 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Yes, You will still need/want the AutoSky module, that is so you do not have to plug the phone into the USB.

The $80 plug means you do not have to pull the fairing to put the other jumper on... you can just use the $80 plug instead, and it you want to take it off to plug in a headset, you just unplug it.

Ok, as far as your other question, about a headset plug hack....
Here's another one, that some of the other guys have used
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29420462225...pgc000axp00004

Here is another post doing the headset plug hack DYI style, post #21
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...headset-5.html
Also, look at the last post in that thread for another idea (just remember, if you do it like the guy did in the last post, you have to remove that wire in order to use your headset/mic, but it would be easy to get to).

Last edited by Ssitruc; 11-07-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:57 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Smitty, FYI.... I was talking to Carlos at TechnoResearch about a month ago, he said that on this screen you posted, under "Bluetooth" if you enable BOTH WHIM and PHONE that will make CarPlay work whether or not you have a headset (mic) connected or not. The headset (mic) will work if it is connected, but CarPlay will work even if a headset (mic) is not.... no "jumper" required. I use Diag4Bike, and it has a setting specifically for doing this, and when I was talking to Carlos at TechnoResearch last month I was asking him about why theirs didn't, thats how we got on the subject, I was comparing the two products abilities. I had been doing CarPlay with and without a headset (mic) for a few years and without having to do the jumper thing, and couldn't believe their software did not have the ability... he let me know it actually did have the ability and how to do it.
I know for a fact it works on Diag4Bike, thats what I use at home, but I haven't actually done it myself with CenturionSuperPro (I have a license for my bike on my brother's Centurion).
Just passing it on.
I was in there looking around. I have a WHIM. and like I aid do not use carplay at all no desire too..

I have the Centurion no expert with it just always learning .

Old 11-13-2022, 02:50 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

In the same boat as Ssitruc, I also have the Diag4bike and have conversed with him on a few things. Happy with my setup, and though I have the jumper, don't have to use it because of the hack he mentioned. Yes you will still need the autosky or cplay2air or equivalent, if you want wireless carplay. You don't need it, just means you have to plug your phone in for wired carplay if that's acceptable for you. The jumper under the fairing is just to trick your bike thinking you have a wired headset attached, which has a different purpose than carplay wireless adapter.

Quick Reply: Another Car Play Question