Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to upgrade stock audio on 2016 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 10:07 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade stock audio on 2016 Ultra Limited

Hey guys, I'm wanting to upgrade my stock setup this off season here up North and need some direction. I have a 2016 Ultra Limited with liquid cooled heads. I'm considering either a 4 speaker setup, 2 in fairing and 2 in the tour pack, or a 6 speaker setup, adding 2 in the lowers if possible. I also would like to keep the stock head unit but maybe there are better after market head units I can upgrade to. My budget is $2k but if I can save a few dollars for lunch with the wife that would be great. If the cost is more I'm willing to entertain that also.

I started to inquire about this back in 2017 to get some ideas, and guys here were throwing around Hertz, Arc Audio, AD Design, and several others. I started to read threads last night and after several hours and five years later I think some things have changed.

Any suggestions are appreciated and I'm still going to research and read to educate myself. Also, I will be doing the work myself.

Thanks in advance and ride safe!

Old 10-15-2022, 09:14 PM
Junior in NE
Road Master
Received 700 Likes on 209 Posts

Following, I have the same bike and am looking to do the same.

Old 10-16-2022, 04:49 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

The first thing you will need to do is flash the head unit. My suggestion is an 8/2 flash as it is the flattest. You will lose fade control, but you won't need it. As far as adding lowers, these will work and look stock.

Amazon.com: Metra Electronics BC-HDLFP Car Electronics : Automotive Amazon.com: Metra Electronics BC-HDLFP Car Electronics : Automotive

As far as adding lowers goes, I suggest the hertz sx neos in them and the TP. the drop right in both locations without any mods and are waterproof. They also sound good. For the fairing, either GZ yellow baskets or mmats 601cx. The pods will need some mods to add those speakers, but it will be worth it. A sd 1200.4 4 ohm will power it all providing 200w each to the fairing and 150w to the lowers and TP running them paralleled. I also suggest the HKI mini dsp to tune it all so you can get the most out of your setup.
You will need these to convert the signal from the HU to dsp hookup.

Axxess AX-MLOC-HD1 2-Ch 80W Line Output Converter (parts-express.com)

Old 10-16-2022, 11:19 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Thanks for the response Gypsye, I was leaning that way for the speakers, and learned that the GZ yellow jackets are more mid bass and warmer. Also watched a couple videos from NVS Audio to educate myself. That guy seems pretty legit.

Ride safe!

Old 10-16-2022, 11:21 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

A part of me does want to change out that HU and go aftermarket, what are some good alternatives? Just get rid of all the Harley crap and start new.

Ride safe!

Old 10-16-2022, 02:53 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

I ran a sony 5000 for 2+ years with no problems but I dont typically ride in the rain. I have heard the new sound stream is damn good. If you can find a newer GTS then that is the way to go.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:26 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

The system upgrades you are looking to do on your bike are doable within the budget stated.

If you are looking to change out the Headunit to either the newer HD GTS or the Soundstream Reserve Headunit you will need to add a few more dollars to your budget ($800 ish).

Old 10-22-2022, 10:04 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies, I like what has been recommended so I'm going to stick with that. Don't need competition but do want to hear my music at 80.

Ride safe!!

Old 10-24-2022, 06:02 AM
polarisbob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done with my install on my 2017 Ultra Limited. I went with the Hertz 2000W SP4.900 amp and 4 of the Hertz SX165NEO speakers.

I got my setup from Volunteer Audio.

Carlos over at NVS Audio is a fantastic source for info, but I would suggest looking at the videos from Jay over at volunteer Audio as well. ( You Tube )

Their systems are more "rider systems" and less of a competition system. (IMO)

My install was totally plug and play and I reused the factory GT radio. ( The kit I got comes with a tool to re-flash the factory radio. )

The sound quality and output is beyond amazing. You can hear it clear as a bell at any speed.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:46 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by polarisbob
I just got done with my install on my 2017 Ultra Limited. I went with the Hertz 2000W SP4.900 amp and 4 of the Hertz SX165NEO speakers.

I got my setup from Volunteer Audio.

Carlos over at NVS Audio is a fantastic source for info, but I would suggest looking at the videos from Jay over at volunteer Audio as well. ( You Tube )

Their systems are more "rider systems" and less of a competition system. (IMO)

My install was totally plug and play and I reused the factory GT radio. ( The kit I got comes with a tool to re-flash the factory radio. )

The sound quality and output is beyond amazing. You can hear it clear as a bell at any speed.
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check that out!

Ride safe!

The following users liked this post:
polarisbob (10-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade stock audio on 2016 Ultra Limited