Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS: Volume ACC vs. Running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 10:16 AM
abadv8
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Boom GTS: Volume ACC vs. Running?

Is there a way to fix the reduced volume when the bike is running versus just having the ignition on on the GTS head unit? To be more clear, I'm talking about the "showroom demo" mode, where the volume is louder when the bike isn't running.

I picked up a Technoresearch Alaris and flashed the Soundz profile (supposed to be the flattest, from what I can discern). Is there anything else I can do to fix the volume thing?

It's really not a major issue, but I'd kind of like the option to tune it without the bike running. To state that another way, I'd like for the ACC mode and the engine running mode to be the same.

Not sure if this is even possible...

Old 10-01-2022, 02:10 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,587 Likes on 3,244 Posts

The difference is built into the software on the Boom head unit. There is no way to change that aspect. You can flash the head unit to the HD 8 speaker/2 amp flash. This will get the profile between Acc and On closer, but not the same. The downside, if the audio system is stock this will flatten the eq curve, as well. That’s a good thing if you’re adding an aftermarket speaker and amp, if not, than probably a detriment. You can try it since you own the flash tool.

The following users liked this post:
abadv8 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 08:31 PM
abadv8
Cruiser

First off, thank you for the response.

I didn't realize that any of the HD factory flashes were "flat". I bought a DSR-1 to compensate for their really whacked EQ. I got it sounding pretty good, but had been having problems with the DSR-1 and my presets after my ride to Sturgis. Not sure if maybe someone with the RF app was messing with my setup without me knowing... ??? Also found out when I got home that one of my horn voice coils looked like it went through a fire... all the way burned. But, now I know where to get Beyma voice coils for about a c-note.

How close to "flat" is the HD 8/2 flash? I was reading that the Soundz one was the flattest. But, honestly, as long as it's not the ridiculous HD base EQ with the weird peaks, anything is probably cool.

I like your suggestion to try the HD flash. I'll save my current presets on the DSR-1 and give it a shot tomorrow... maybe tonight...

(I'm running a SounDigital EVOX 800.4 and two Beyma 6CX200Nd'N's with the woofers bridged and horns on independent channels, BTW)

Thanks again!

Old 10-02-2022, 08:14 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member

Most have their preferred flash they like to use. I believe that the Sounds flash gets used because it flattens the stock eq and retains fade control.

There is a thread on here that a member posted with various results from different flashes. The member was ADenton528 and IIRC the title was Boom Flash RTA. He tested the flashes with an RTA to check the results. You may want to search that thread.

ETA

Found the thread, here’s the link
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ash-rta-s.html

Last edited by Dsm Limited; 10-02-2022 at 08:17 AM.
abadv8 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 08:47 AM
abadv8
Cruiser

That's great info.

It does look like the HD 8/2 flash is a lot closer for ACC and running curves. It also looks like it's a little more weighted to the mids. Fortunately, I have a DSP so I can tweak that to my liking.

Going out to give it a shot now. I will reply with my personal findings/results.

Thanks again!

Dsm Limited (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 05:08 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member

Please post your findings, it will help others.

I personally use the HD 8/2 flash for my setup. The differential is there but not as noticeable. You are correct on the flash being mid driven. I opted to pull the mids down in the dsp as opposed to bumping the either sides of it up. IMHO it is better to tune deductively rather than boosting.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:32 AM
abadv8
Cruiser

So, I did flash the HD 8/2 config file. From what I can tell (by ear) the difference in volume between ACC and running is reduced to about half of what the Soundz flash was. I'm still playing with the DSP and trying to tune it to my liking, but overall I like it.

I always find that I wind up raising the low frequencies a little and trimming out the midrange. It's just what sounds pleasing to my ears. But, I think I'm going to give your method of "deductive" tuning a try and see what that nets me.

Thanks again.