Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Glide Audio Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 12:35 PM
cedub327
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Street Glide Audio Recommendations

Hello all! New here and was hoping to get some advice on our stereo upgrade. I am not an audiophile and don't know a lot about audio components (although the pinned post helped!) but from reading various threads it appears there are a lot of smart people here so I'm hoping you can provide some advice. I know I like a decent sound and what we currently have is not that. We changed out the HD speakers once and they are crap. Don't even ask the brand....CD audio I "think"....doesn't matter because they are all going in the trash. We are looking to upgrade 4 6.5s (fairing and lowers) and bags to 8" in the lids (or maybe 6x9s?....yes we're upgrading the lids as well). We just bought an Aquatic AV MP5 and we do have an amp although I'm not sold on keeping it. Right now the sound is very high pitched; we hate it. We aren't looking for subs or any of that just a more well rounded sound. I would prefer to have decent sound in town but still hear it at 70mph. I don't need to be thumping going down the highway but right now the speakers crack and just plain suck. It's painful to listen to it. I don't want the cheap end but don't want to break the bank either so something middle of the road I guess. We have JL audio in our boat and that thing rocks but those won't work in the bike. Any recommendations for 4 6.5s, 2 lid speakers and an amp to run it all with our current head unit? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-12-2022, 12:59 PM
kloccwork419
Road Master
Received 372 Likes on 203 Posts
Old 08-12-2022, 01:06 PM
cedub327
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kloccwork419
That's helpful. Thank you.
I realize these questions get asked a lot but out of all the reading I did on this forum all I saw was "we need to know what you have, what you're looking to achieve, how much you want to spend" etc so it seems if you want recommendations for your specific situation you have to ask. If I missed a thread somewhere that addresses my specific bike and situation then please share it. Our local audio guy is recommending RF and from what I've read people don't think they're the best option so I was looking for the experience of others.

Last edited by cedub327; 08-12-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:08 PM
OCBadger
Cruiser

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

You can use another Red Bull.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:13 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Well lets start with the basics what is the budget?

Old 08-12-2022, 03:30 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cedub327
Hello all! New here and was hoping to get some advice on our stereo upgrade. I am not an audiophile and don't know a lot about audio components (although the pinned post helped!) but from reading various threads it appears there are a lot of smart people here so I'm hoping you can provide some advice. I know I like a decent sound and what we currently have is not that. We changed out the HD speakers once and they are crap. Don't even ask the brand....CD audio I "think"....doesn't matter because they are all going in the trash. We are looking to upgrade 4 6.5s (fairing and lowers) and bags to 8" in the lids (or maybe 6x9s?....yes we're upgrading the lids as well). We just bought an Aquatic AV MP5 and we do have an amp although I'm not sold on keeping it. Right now the sound is very high pitched; we hate it. We aren't looking for subs or any of that just a more well rounded sound. I would prefer to have decent sound in town but still hear it at 70mph. I don't need to be thumping going down the highway but right now the speakers crack and just plain suck. It's painful to listen to it. I don't want the cheap end but don't want to break the bank either so something middle of the road I guess. We have JL audio in our boat and that thing rocks but those won't work in the bike. Any recommendations for 4 6.5s, 2 lid speakers and an amp to run it all with our current head unit? Thanks in advance!

if you already have speakers and an amp have you tried a DSP to tone down the highs?

you should run one in 90% of installs to help tune everything correctly. So it may be worth your time to invest in one and see if you get satisfactory sound from the rest of your system.

if you don’t have an amp already then there are people more knowledgeable than I.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:56 PM
cedub327
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
Well lets start with the basics what is the budget?
Maybe under $3K? I don't know if that is just not enough to get a decent sound so if so, please tell me. Like I said, I just want a more well rounded sound that isn't cracking/popping our speakers. The rockford system I looked up based on our audio guys recommendations was around $1800 but it seems like not many people who actually ride harley's have a lot of good things to say about them.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:57 PM
cedub327
1st Gear

I hadn't even heard of that but looked it up. Something to look into for sure although I still think these are bottom of the line speakers we have. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-13-2022, 06:58 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Do you listen to FM?

Old 08-13-2022, 09:28 PM
cedub327
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
Do you listen to FM?
No, never. Just BT the phone.