Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music not the same after 5000 mile check up

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 07:06 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Music not the same after 5000 mile check up

When I bought my 2019 RoadGlide i installed a Cerwin Vega B52 amp, the Biketronics BT355 line leveler. I did not install any rear speakers which is why I went with the B52 (2 channel) over the B54 (4 channel) amp. and Kappa 62ix speakers. I loved the sound but now, after the 5000 mile check up the sound is not the same. I spoke with the dealer and I was informed that they flashed the radio. Maybe it's just me but the sound is not the same. Before I take the fairing off is there anything I can do with the amp or line leveler to correct this problem?

Headed out for a 2 week trip from RI to Eureka Springs, AR and love to play my tunes.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2022, 07:12 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,906 Likes on 3,705 Posts

The EQ has likely been reset to default when they flashed it. On my RF setup, a specific EQ was flashed to my HU by my audio dealer.

The following users liked this post:
BelchFire (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:05 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,744 Likes on 4,243 Posts

it sounds like you are saying you put in some aftermarket stuff and then took your bike to a dealer and they flashed it

it sounds different after they flashed it?

if that's your situation, it's pretty obvious what caused it, you may have to get help from someone other than a dealer to put a preferred flash in it

Old 07-11-2022, 08:07 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Why would they voluntarily flash the radio during a service? That requires hooking a different device to the bike and using different software completely than what's normally done during a mechanical service.

But, if they did in fact flash the HU, then you could start by getting rid of that line leveler, replace it with a LOC to keep the RCA connections, and resetting gains on your amp.

Edit: before you do that, ask them to prove they reflashed the radio and which flash they used.

Last edited by teedoff65; 07-11-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Cosmic Razorback (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:26 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Why would they voluntarily flash the radio during a service? That requires hooking a different device to the bike and using different software completely than what's normally done during a mechanical service.

But, if they did in fact flash the HU, then you could start by getting rid of that line leveler, replace it with a LOC to keep the RCA connections, and resetting gains on your amp.

Edit: before you do that, ask them to prove they reflashed the radio and which flash they used.
I am with Tee there is no reason to flash your radio but if they claim that they did tell them you didnt ask for it and want it flashed to the CVO 8/2 Harley flash. Then get to the LOC Tee mentioned.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:52 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,744 Likes on 4,243 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65

I feel I'm an exception when I hear about folks and their experience with dealers, mine is really great to work with, expensive as hell, but they deliver....they know to never screw with my head unit or audio, and they never wash my bike

I didn't rely on assumption though, I let em know I was having the HU flashed by another outfit, please don't mess with it, and I enjoy washing my own bike a certain way, tell the fellas in the wash bay to just leave it dirty

Old 07-11-2022, 09:16 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,665 Likes on 990 Posts

Are you sure they "flashed it" and not just did a software upgrade? Flashing isn't typically part of a service while updates can be. If they did software it reset the eq and speed control, could be as simple as that.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:07 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,596 Likes on 3,245 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Are you sure they "flashed it" and not just did a software upgrade? Flashing isn't typically part of a service while updates can be. If they did software it reset the eq and speed control, could be as simple as that.
^^^^^^ yeah that.

I've never known a dealer to do a flash as part of a routine service. I do know some that will update to the latest software release.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:23 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally spoke to the service tech, he did a software updated on the radio, he didn't do a flash. The service manager kept telling me flash. I thought performing a flash wasn't right but with this dealership I have come to expect the unexpected. Sorry for the misinformation. So at least I know what they did. So, knowing what they did, can I reset the EQ?

Old 07-12-2022, 08:11 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by flhrbill
Finally spoke to the service tech, he did a software updated on the radio, he didn't do a flash. The service manager kept telling me flash. I thought performing a flash wasn't right but with this dealership I have come to expect the unexpected. Sorry for the misinformation. So at least I know what they did. So, knowing what they did, can I reset the EQ?
As mentioned, set bass and treble to flat(middle) and turn off volume speed control and see if that helps with your sound.

Cosmic Razorback (07-12-2022)