Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speakers upgrade (and amp ?) on OE head unit ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 05:23 PM
Gertrude2007
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default speakers upgrade (and amp ?) on OE head unit ?

Hello all.
I've been doing so much reading and searching that I have gotten myself thoroughly "corn-fuzzled" at this point. I've read a bit of "Little Mikes" tutorial on audio which has helped me to begin to understand the basics of audio upgrades, but I am at a bit of a loss on what I THINK I want to do for right now. Hopefully some of the fine members here can help me out with some suggestions .

I have recently purchased a '07 Electra Glide Classic. This is my first Harley, as well as my first Touring bike. I've never had a bike with a stereo system.
I've removed the Tour Pack for my daily riding, which means the rear speakers were also removed.

I have purchased a set of bag lids to install a pair of 6x9 to replace the rear speakers that were removed with the Tour Pack.
I am not looking to build a high end audio systyem at this time, and am hoping to do a simple upgrade on the speakers (including the front speakers), and perhaps an Amp if needed. I want to keep the stock head unit for the time being.
I understand that this is not going to be "the best" sounds, but hopefully it will suffice my needs for now.
It is my understanding that the factory Harmon Kardon head unit is a 40w, 2ohm system, and therefore I need to use 2ohm speakers as long as I stay with the HK head unit.
Am I on the right track with this thinking ?

I purchased a pair of Powerbass 6x9's for the new bag lids that are 2ohm, 60w RMS, 120w peak. (model # OE-692T )
I have also purchased adapters for the fairing to allow for 6.5 front speakers to replace the stock 5.75
I have NOT YET purchased front speakers (or an amp) to piggyback the Harmon head unit.

Yes, I'm trying to do this "on the cheap" for now, as I am trying to prioritize the various upgrades I want to do to the bike... such as Ultracool oil cooler, Oil Temp gauge to replace the useless Air temp gauge, as well as some other goodies... so the Stereo system being the "best" is not my top priority right now.
But I would like it to be at least useable now, untill I can do a nicer system in the future.

I would appreciate any input you guys might have on a fairly good pair of front 6.5 speakers that will be compatible with what I am hoping to accomplish here,
as well as suggestions on an entry level aftermarket amp (if necessary).

I'm not looking to win any audio competitions here.
I'm just wanting to have decent enough sounds (without having to replace the head unit) that I can enjoy at cruising speeds.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ride Smart, Ride Safe
Cheers,
Ron

Old 07-10-2022, 08:11 AM
fastsoup
Road Master
Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Gertrude2007
Hello all.
I've been doing so much reading and searching that I have gotten myself thoroughly "corn-fuzzled" at this point. I've read a bit of "Little Mikes" tutorial on audio which has helped me to begin to understand the basics of audio upgrades, but I am at a bit of a loss on what I THINK I want to do for right now. Hopefully some of the fine members here can help me out with some suggestions .

I have recently purchased a '07 Electra Glide Classic. This is my first Harley, as well as my first Touring bike. I've never had a bike with a stereo system.
I've removed the Tour Pack for my daily riding, which means the rear speakers were also removed.

I have purchased a set of bag lids to install a pair of 6x9 to replace the rear speakers that were removed with the Tour Pack.
I am not looking to build a high end audio systyem at this time, and am hoping to do a simple upgrade on the speakers (including the front speakers), and perhaps an Amp if needed. I want to keep the stock head unit for the time being.
I understand that this is not going to be "the best" sounds, but hopefully it will suffice my needs for now.
It is my understanding that the factory Harmon Kardon head unit is a 40w, 2ohm system, and therefore I need to use 2ohm speakers as long as I stay with the HK head unit.
Am I on the right track with this thinking ?

I purchased a pair of Powerbass 6x9's for the new bag lids that are 2ohm, 60w RMS, 120w peak. (model # OE-692T )
I have also purchased adapters for the fairing to allow for 6.5 front speakers to replace the stock 5.75
I have NOT YET purchased front speakers (or an amp) to piggyback the Harmon head unit.

Yes, I'm trying to do this "on the cheap" for now, as I am trying to prioritize the various upgrades I want to do to the bike... such as Ultracool oil cooler, Oil Temp gauge to replace the useless Air temp gauge, as well as some other goodies... so the Stereo system being the "best" is not my top priority right now.
But I would like it to be at least useable now, untill I can do a nicer system in the future.

I would appreciate any input you guys might have on a fairly good pair of front 6.5 speakers that will be compatible with what I am hoping to accomplish here,
as well as suggestions on an entry level aftermarket amp (if necessary).

I'm not looking to win any audio competitions here.
I'm just wanting to have decent enough sounds (without having to replace the head unit) that I can enjoy at cruising speeds.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ride Smart, Ride Safe
Cheers,
Ron

Just went through a similar situation...lots of advice on this forum...but "cheap" and what these guys try to help accomplish don't really go hand in hand. But a budget friendly set up is:

Soundstream PN4.1000D 1000W 4-Channel Picasso Nano Series Class D Amplifier, Gray https://a.co/d/8QuHZ2w - comes with hi-level inputs to connect to stock radio.

https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/site/product/pa601cx/
​​​​

Install a pair of the Mmats in the fairing, wire them straight up off that amp for 2ch, and you'll have good, loud sound from the fairing...and then down the road, you can wire the powerboss 6x9's to this amp as it's 2ohm friendly. I could go on, but the numbers would just keep climbing.

​​​​​

Old 07-10-2022, 10:47 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsoup
Just went through a similar situation...lots of advice on this forum...but "cheap" and what these guys try to help accomplish don't really go hand in hand. But a budget friendly set up is:

Soundstream PN4.1000D 1000W 4-Channel Picasso Nano Series Class D Amplifier, Gray https://a.co/d/8QuHZ2w - comes with hi-level inputs to connect to stock radio.

https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/site/product/pa601cx/
​​​​

Install a pair of the Mmats in the fairing, wire them straight up off that amp for 2ch, and you'll have good, loud sound from the fairing...and then down the road, you can wire the powerboss 6x9's to this amp as it's 2ohm friendly. I could go on, but the numbers would just keep climbing.

​​​​​
Great recommendation.
If a guy is on a tight budget, the Soundstream PN4.1000D is not a bad choice. Pretty hard to beat it for the price these days. I have ran multiple different amps over the years on my bike, including the Soundstream.
Just lost the rear channels on my Massive TX 48 after a couple of years of playing it hard, so the Soundstream is back in there. All wired up and sounding great with the Mmats in the fairing, and DB Moto G2's in the lowers.
Just installing a set of GZ 8" coax in the lids on a bridged Stinger to go with it. Should be a decent sounding set up, with plenty of volume.

The SS will put out around 140-150 watts per channel in 4 ohm, tested with my DD1 Distortion tester. That's plenty for most speakers.
The amp is also rated at 250 watts per channel at 2 ohm which should be plenty for those 2 ohm powerbass speakers.
Lots of good speaker choices out there, but the Mmats PA601.4cx coax have always been a favorite of mine.
I consider them one of the best bang for your buck speakers out there. They sound good, survive the weather, play plenty load at 125-150 watts per channel, and will keep you rocking for years to come.
I've tried J&M, Hogtunes, Polk DB, Polk MM, Rockford, Sony, Rockford, the Infinity Kappas, Hertz HCX, Mmats coax, DB Moto G2's, Hertz SX neo, and the GZ coax.
I still run Mmats, DB Moto G2's, Hertz SX neo coax, and the GZ coax on my bikes at the moment.
​​​​​

Old 07-11-2022, 11:09 PM
Gertrude2007
Advanced

Thank you for the replies so far. I will look into the above suggestions.
but school me here... wouldn't a 1000w amp be too much power for the Powerboss 6x9's that I have ?
They are rated at 60w rms, 120w max.
Am I correct to understand that a 4 channel 1000w amp, is 250w per channel ?
Again, I am a TOTAL NOOB to audio.
thanks

Last edited by Gertrude2007; 07-11-2022 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:12 PM
fastsoup
Road Master

Thank you for the replies so far. I will look into the above suggestions.
but school me here... wouldn't a 1000w amp be too much power for the Powerboss 6x9's that I have ?
They are rated at 60w rms, 120w max.
Am I correct to understand that a 1000w amp is 250w per channel ?
Again, I am a TOTAL NOOB to audio.
thanks
No, absolutely great question. Better to have more power than not. You determine just how much power you send your speakers...see the setting gains sticky for guidance.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:51 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

You need to be aware that the sound stream and most class D amps will kill your FM. If FM is important look at the stinger SPX700x4 amp and it will keep your FM.

The following users liked this post:
Linked (10-05-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:23 AM
Gertrude2007
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
You need to be aware that the sound stream and most class D amps will kill your FM. If FM is important look at the stinger SPX700x4 amp and it will keep your FM.
HMmmmm,.....
I didn't know about that either. Yeah, I'd prefer to have/keep the FM.

So I've looked into the previously suggested SoundStream and MMAT speakers.
I see that the MMATS are 4ohm.

so does this mean that an Amp can properly drive BOTH the 4ohm MMATS,... and, the Powerboss 2ohm 6x9's ?

I will now go research the Stinger amp suggested.
(on edit)- Ouch !, I'm seeing $350 for that amp.
Unfortunately, I'm hoping to put something together on a tighter budget than that.

Thanks for tolerating all the dumb questions.

Last edited by Gertrude2007; 07-13-2022 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:03 AM
fastsoup
Road Master

HMmmmm,.....
I didn't know about that either. Yeah, I'd prefer to have/keep the FM.

So I've looked into the previously suggested SoundStream and MMAT speakers.
I see that the MMATS are 4ohm.

so does this mean that an Amp can properly drive BOTH the 4ohm MMATS,... and, the Powerboss 2ohm 6x9's ?

I will now go research the Stinger amp suggested.
(on edit)- Ouch !, I'm seeing $350 for that amp.
Unfortunately, I'm hoping to put something together on a tighter budget than that.

Thanks for tolerating all the dumb questions.
Yeah the FM thing seems to be an issue for some...not most. When I personally had the SS amp with the stock HK radio, I retained some of my FM stations 🤷🏻.

The Stinger amp is also a terrific choice...but I didn't suggest it due to the price point. The SS is a terrific budget amp, and yes, it will handle both the 4ohm and 2ohm speakers if wired in parallel.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:46 AM
Gertrude2007
Advanced

Would wiring the fairing (front) speakers in parallel lose the left and right channel (stereo) separation ?

Old 07-13-2022, 08:46 AM
fastsoup
Road Master

Would wiring the fairing (front) speakers in parallel lose the left and right channel (stereo) separation ?
No...why would it?

Quick Reply: speakers upgrade (and amp ?) on OE head unit ?