Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you get your Music?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 06:24 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,587 Likes on 3,244 Posts

I use Amazon Prime and Spotify. Both are paid subscriptions, therefore HD or higher. I quit using USB a while back as it was just a PIA to download and maintain.

*Full disclosure*
I upgraded to a GTS radio so Android Auto made it easy to use, without a bluetooth connection.

I use those sources to final tune my audio, as well.
*Full disclosure again*
I've used an RTA to baseline my tunes for the last couple years

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 06:38 PM
propflux01
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force
Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Okay to be clear I see many YouTube audio installers say to NOT use your cell phone when setting up and tuning a system. That is all I have to use at this time.

I assume because it is compressed?

Just trying to find the highest quality available for download and the best storage / playback source.

Maybe I am making too much of it. Just wanted to see what others may be using.

Thanks
They say that for a few reasons, one, as the previous poster described, the Bluetooth issue. The other, most digital music is compressed (what you stated you listened to, and MP3 files.). You can tune from a phone, per se, if you are using Lossless audio such as FLAC files or Apple Lossless, etc., and a flat EQ selected. Those are much harder to use due simply to the size used for each song. For older folk, those of us that have some tinnitus, hearing loss, or (I believe) or simply on a bike, you would not really notice a degraded audio, using MP3 of 320kbs. Your use of Spotify, XM, etc,. tells me that already. My recommendation, if you want music to listen to while riding, your phone, an MP3 player, or USB stick of your favourite music, obtained from the sources already mentioned here, will suffice, and I think you will be happy with the results.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,264 Likes on 7,397 Posts

This is all great information. I’ll continue doing what I am already. It’s worked well and sounds fine to us.

Many thanks to all for the replies and the education!

Old 07-08-2022, 07:55 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,276 Likes on 3,423 Posts

I have Apple, Sirius/XM app and Amazon. I read that same thing in my AHB tuning instructions about the memory stick. Good stuff Cosmic!

Still debating on adding the XM antennae and moving my wife's Denali subscription to my bike She won't miss it...

Old 07-08-2022, 09:42 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

While digital music may all be compressed, lossless is the best quality I think.

HD prime or apple music both are the best quality streaming service.

I too use to use a thumb drive and manage my music that way. Its a pain in the butt, but I think it results in better playback than any streaming service. I always downloaded lossless versions of any music. But I can listen to the same song on my thumb drive, and then listen to that song from HD prime and the drive seems better. Maybe its just louder I dont know.

I now have all the music I had on my thumb drive stored on my music card. So I also have access to that source as well.

Cosmic Razorback (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:54 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,004 Likes on 12,902 Posts

For what the OP has spent on audio equipment you would think he could afford a decent 8 track for that bike

Neil Young gave up on his Pono project, that would be near the top of best audio, but for the motorcycle, I don't see how any kind of compressed digital formats would be bad.

For convenience though, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up installing the SiriusXM module at some point although the iPod right now is the solution if not using OTA stations.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:17 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,969 Likes on 19,387 Posts

As mentioned earlier, sound quality on a motorcycle leaves a lot to be desired at speed ... .ost seek out volume as a resolve to the issue ... Mp3's can be saved in kbps 96, 128. 256 on to 320 kbps ( the higher the number the larger the file ( song ) is on the drive ... Lossless is significantly larger so if space is a concern a larger thumb would be needed ... You can store a boatload of songs on the larger drives available today ... I currently have almost 7,000 complete discs on one of my external hard drives and swap out lists for the scooter from time to time ... Don't forget that if you have a player that plays discs it will more than likely play mp3's ... You can load about 200 mp3's ( songs ) on a disc ... Hope this helps

Old 07-08-2022, 10:36 PM
Ingramite
Road Master
Received 1,280 Likes on 549 Posts

My first attempt at motorcycle audio was a Walkman that took 6 double A batteries and could play cassette tapes. It was as big as a brick and dang near as heavy.

How far we have come huh?

I have a smart phone that has an SD card full of music that I ripped from YouTube years ago using an MP4 to MP3 converter program. Now I bluetooth it to a set of Bose Quiet earbuds under my full face helmet.

OK, I realize that my current setup is probably laughable in light of modern technology but I feel like an astraunaght.

The Grateful Dead was best enjoyed live anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ingramite:
6113_ (07-08-2022), Cosmic Razorback (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 10:50 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,115 Likes on 1,106 Posts

I subscribe to Apple Music, very high quality music, much of it being lossless, but as @Uncle Larry said, lol you ain't gonna hear a difference riding done the road on your Harley

The following 3 users liked this post by scott_0:
6113_ (07-09-2022), Cosmic Razorback (07-09-2022), Uncle Larry (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 09:04 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,264 Likes on 7,397 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
For what the OP has spent on audio equipment you would think he could afford a decent 8 track for that bike

Neil Young gave up on his Pono project, that would be near the top of best audio, but for the motorcycle, I don't see how any kind of compressed digital formats would be bad.

For convenience though, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up installing the SiriusXM module at some point although the iPod right now is the solution if not using OTA stations.

Okay 11,

We have the best riding area in the whole world (in my humble opinion) between where you and I live. So I think we need to plan a meet up so I can straighten you out! LOL

I guess I have finally grown up and hit the big time. I say this is the first system I ever setup and installed but that is not 100% true. Back in 1974 I went to K-mart with my very hard earned money and bought my first ever under dash Pioneer 8-track with two 6 x 9 speakers for the rear deck. I actually did a pretty good job of taping all the wires up out of sight with electric tape. It had a habit of eating one out of six tapes, but my girlfriend was a whiz at digging the tape out and winding it back in. If I remember correctly I had almost $50 bucks in this system which put a lot of smiles on our faces!

Our CVO came with XM and we really enjoy it. That said I now have the XM app on my phone and have been using it in my work vehicle and on the SGS. You may want to consider that option. Less money, simple download and very universal.

Take care my friend and stay out of trouble.

P.S.
Do I miss CD’s, actually YES. I drove my wife’s F150 last weekend which has a six disc changer. When I turned it on it played a CD I had recorded and mixed for her at least 15 years ago. I had no idea she still had it and still listened to it. Turns out to be one of here favorite! It sounded GREAT.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 07-09-2022 at 09:13 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
6113_ (07-09-2022), Dsm Limited (07-09-2022), Uncle Larry (07-09-2022), zigyblu (07-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Where do you get your Music?