Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Sony/Metra Install. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 07:06 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Problem with Sony/Metra Install. Help needed.

I installed a Sony XAV-AX7000 using the Metra BC-HDR-K1 kit last night in my 2016 Ultra Classic. I replaced the Boom 6.5 head unit. The Metra kit is the newer "upgrade" according to Metra. Physically it fits well, but I couldn't get it to synch with my handlebar controls and the system doesn't shut off when you shut the bike off.
I double checked my wiring. I have a background in Electronics. I even took a pic of it before I Tessa taped the harness so I could see what I did later.
Any ideas? The only thing I did "differently" was wire in the parking brake wire with the ground. This is supposed to be the right way to bypass the parking brake safety.
I emailed Sonic Electronix where I bought the Metra kit from last night, but I got a email saying their Techs are busy and to have patience. I don't know what kind of canned BS response that was. I'm not impressed to say the least. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Problem with Sony/Metra Install. Help needed.-img_20220610_160340.jpg  
Old 07-08-2022, 08:57 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser

If you have any of these problems call, don't email Metra. They had to run me through some sort of reprogramming configuration to get it to connect correctly to the Sony. It had nothing to do with my install. It's a Metra software issue. The hand controls aren't working yet... Tech said that's a Sony problem. I think I hear a Scosche kit calling my name.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:55 AM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,119 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I know you don't want to hear it, but dump that garbage Metra kit and get a Scosche kit, when I was running a Sony, it came with the Scosche kit and worked 100% flawlessly

​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-08-2022, 10:05 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scott_0
I know you don't want to hear it, but dump that garbage Metra kit and get a Scosche kit, when I was running a Sony, it came with the Scosche kit and worked 100% flawlessly

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-HD14U.../dp/B07BNJHL7K
Already ordered it. I haven't found anything negative about either kits funny enough. Maybe I got a lemon. I'm not impressed with the answers from Metra though so I'm going to see how the Scosche works. What a waste of time. Tech said that if I pull the battery I'll probably have to go through all the BS again. Sad...
Supposedly the interface is all programmed now (solid green light), but even if I change to manually identifying the buttons the stereo still doesn't see the thumb controls.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:12 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser

My original response disappeared... Already ordered the Scosche kit. Not impressed with Metra saying now that I have a solid green light that it's Sony's issue now. Changing from steering control preset to adding them individually didn't help.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:13 PM
HawkX66
Cruiser

Installed the Scosche set-up. Basically the same as the Metra, but it has metal sides. It was nice of Scosche to forget to pack all the install screws, so I had to find some in my garage that worked. Instructions were still a joke. Turned out there was an issue with the swc wire on the Metra that caused all the trouble.

​​​​​​

Last edited by HawkX66; 07-13-2022 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scott_0 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 09:17 AM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,119 Likes on 1,109 Posts

the metal components are new to the Scosche kit, they used to be plastic...

Old 07-14-2022, 09:30 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scott_0
the metal components are new to the Scosche kit, they used to be plastic...
I guess that's how they're trying to set themselves apart, but the metal doesn't really add anything to the bracket IMO. The Metra bracket was plenty.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:36 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts
Lightbulb

presume you've done the RESET button dance on the kit?
I don't know your particular kit, but my old FatHead kit would require a reset usually following rain (before I bagged them) or me disconnecting anything....
you had to insert a pin into one of the boxes and wait for the LED to change colour

...also could you not disconnect the parking brake temp, to prove a point? (did your kit say to wire that, cause I know I didnt on my bike.....or the car when I subsequently put the Sony into that)

Last edited by havinabubble; 07-15-2022 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:11 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser

Originally Posted by havinabubble
presume you've done the RESET button dance on the kit?
I don't know your particular kit, but my old FatHead kit would require a reset usually following rain (before I bagged them) or me disconnecting anything....
you had to insert a pin into one of the boxes and wait for the LED to change colour

...also could you not disconnect the parking brake temp, to prove a point? (did your kit say to wire that, cause I know I didnt on my bike.....or the car when I subsequently put the Sony into that)

I was on the phone with Metra resetting and reprogramming for quite a while. It looks like yours was the previous version with two boxes right? The newer version that I received only has one box like the Scosche kit. When the Metra tech said I would probably have to go through his long reprogramming procedure each time the battery was disconnected or "if" it needed it, I was done with the Metra kit. I don't like "delicate" electronics that aren't stable.
Either way, I'm up and running now. The hand controls are programmed so I'm I'm good to go with the Scosche kit thankfully.
One thing I'm thinking about is water proofing the radio and the Scosche brain somehow.

Last edited by HawkX66; 07-15-2022 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Problem with Sony/Metra Install. Help needed.