Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Sony/Metra Install. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 06:27 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HawkX66
I was on the phone with Metra resetting and reprogramming for quite a while. It looks like yours was the previous version with two boxes right? The newer version that I received only has one box like the Scosche kit. When the Metra tech said I would probably have to go through his long reprogramming procedure each time the battery was disconnected or "if" it needed it, I was done with the Metra kit. I don't like "delicate" electronics that aren't stable.
Either way, I'm up and running now. The hand controls are programmed so I'm I'm good to go with the Scosche kit thankfully.
One thing I'm thinking about is water proofing the radio and the Scosche brain somehow.
well I recommend a zip lock bag and a nylon tie for the module...

and the radio, its been covered a hundred times on here., search is your friend.... but IKEA drawer lining and Gorilla tape worked for me. Copied the instal method from the overpriced BikerTronics wrap system
Put it through some of the wettest British rains after that and never had a problem ever again.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:41 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by havinabubble
well I recommend a zip lock bag and a nylon tie for the module...

and the radio, its been covered a hundred times on here., search is your friend.... but IKEA drawer lining and Gorilla tape worked for me. Copied the instal method from the overpriced BikerTronics wrap system
Put it through some of the wettest British rains after that and never had a problem ever again.
I'll be looking at different water proofing ideas, but I don't like the idea of completely sealing the stereo like a lot of the "kits" do and I sure wouldn't pay the sucker prices they charge for them. Stereos, especially the high wattage AX7000, have internal amps that can get hot. They need air flow for cooling. I'll probably do some sort of plastic "tent" that will divert any drips away from the electronics. I suspect it's only the falling water that's the problem and not any that come up from below. I could be wrong about that though.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:04 AM
havinabubble
Supporter

I'll be looking at different water proofing ideas, but I don't like the idea of completely sealing the stereo like a lot of the "kits" do and I sure wouldn't pay the sucker prices they charge for them. Stereos, especially the high wattage AX7000, have internal amps that can get hot. They need air flow for cooling. I'll probably do some sort of plastic "tent" that will divert any drips away from the electronics. I suspect it's only the falling water that's the problem and not any that come up from below. I could be wrong about that though.
if you want to keep it running trouble free, you will need to protect it from the water.

I ran the wrap, the bags, the Roadies Splash Cover and still run the 309 Audio Shroud, even though I have a water resistant head unit now HDHU14
never had issues with heat and we had a few hot ones with it

...the shroud is a simple and easy fix. Keep all the electrics behind the wing dry

Last edited by havinabubble; 07-15-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:22 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser

if you want to keep it running trouble free, you will need to protect it from the water.

I ran the wrap, the bags, the Roadies Splash Cover and still run the 309 Audio Shroud, even though I have a water resistant head unit now HDHU14
never had issues with heat and we had a few hot ones with it

...the shroud is a simple and easy fix. Keep all the electrics behind the wing dry

I guess you're pretty serious about water not getting in. I'm sure I'll make something like the wrap you have on there and I'll probably at least seal the top and sides of the stereo.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:35 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Talking

I guess you're pretty serious about water not getting in. I'm sure I'll make something like the wrap you have on there and I'll probably at least seal the top and sides of the stereo.
no choice my friend, THIS IS ENGLAND

...the Sony was the best upgrade I had done to my glide. It's a great HU IMHO and my only enemy was the weather on this land of hope and glory

From the first rains I got screen ingress, and then when the real rains came....hell with rain water!
would send the radio NUTS! had to often pull the wing, dry out, reset, repeat

Then I took other forum members advise and wrapped my unit in a cheap and cost effective way. Got myself a splash cover for the front, and all was good from there on in. Never needed to dry out or reset again.

I only changed head unit because aesthetically I hated the splash cover mount and the new HDHU14 was water resistant (in fact its a better radio I've discovered, screen quality, functionality etc)

...but the Sony I moved to our car and its happily working in the dry these days

Old 07-15-2022, 09:43 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser

no choice my friend, THIS IS ENGLAND

...the Sony was the best upgrade I had done to my glide. It's a great HU IMHO and my only enemy was the weather on this land of hope and glory

From the first rains I got screen ingress, and then when the real rains came....hell with rain water!
would send the radio NUTS! had to often pull the wing, dry out, reset, repeat

Then I took other forum members advise and wrapped my unit in a cheap and cost effective way. Got myself a splash cover for the front, and all was good from there on in. Never needed to dry out or reset again.

I only changed head unit because aesthetically I hated the splash cover mount and the new HDHU14 was water resistant (in fact its a better radio I've discovered, screen quality, functionality etc)

...but the Sony I moved to our car and its happily working in the dry these days

Ah! Yes, you definitely needed some better weather protection. I don't mind riding in the rain, but after riding for 40 yrs+ I avoid it when possible. I'll go with a water proof fabric in fairing cover and cover the radio too. I should be good to go with that. Thanks for the suggestions.

The following users liked this post:
havinabubble (07-15-2022)