Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Upgrades for 09 Electraglide

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 02:10 PM
Freakindj
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Audio Upgrades for 09 Electraglide

I have an 09 Electra Glide I'm getting ready to upgrade the audio on.

So far I have the Rockford Fosgate Head unit as the original radio gave up about 4 months ago. Before that I added the Rockford Fosgate 5-1/4" fairing speaker upgrade with power amp as suggested here in these forums 2 years ago.

Was thinking to add 6 x 9 Speaker lids with Infinity Speakers but for the cost of available Saddle Bags, I'm now leaning towards buying a second set of Saddle Bags just for sound and outfitting them with the 6 x 9 Infinity speakers and 8" subs. Some where North of 400 watts on the 6 x 9"s and possibly a pair of Monoblock 250 watt amps for the Subs.

Thoughts ....

Old 06-20-2022, 08:59 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Freakindj
I have an 09 Electra Glide I'm getting ready to upgrade the audio on.

So far I have the Rockford Fosgate Head unit as the original radio gave up about 4 months ago. Before that I added the Rockford Fosgate 5-1/4" fairing speaker upgrade with power amp as suggested here in these forums 2 years ago.

Was thinking to add 6 x 9 Speaker lids with Infinity Speakers but for the cost of available Saddle Bags, I'm now leaning towards buying a second set of Saddle Bags just for sound and outfitting them with the 6 x 9 Infinity speakers and 8" subs. Some where North of 400 watts on the 6 x 9"s and possibly a pair of Monoblock 250 watt amps for the Subs.

Thoughts ....
Time to SLOW down!

First, I would upgrade your fairing setup. 5.25 RF speakers in the fairing is just bad.

If you do subs, you will need to at least reinforce, brace and seal your bags (port as needed with certain subs)

A Pair 250w mono amp will no where be close to run (2) 8” subs. And why would you run 2 amps for 2 speakers?

You could run some 8” mid bass in your bags, unsealed. But I would plan on at least 800w RMS total needed for power.

You will need a DSP if you run 8’s in bags.

Why the infinity 6x9? The new motorcycle ones?

Last edited by cshocker; 06-20-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:20 PM
Freakindj
Advanced

Originally Posted by cshocker
Time to SLOW down!

First, I would upgrade your fairing setup. 5.25 RF speakers in the fairing is just bad.
Pretty much agree - the only way i could hear the music at 70 mph was to turn the bass OFF and crank it al the way up. What would you recommend in place of the RF 5.25"

If you do subs, you will need to at least reinforce, brace and seal your bags (port as needed with certain subs)

A 250w mono amp will no where be close to run (2) 8” subs.
Agree again - was thinking 5 or 6 layers of alternating Fiberglass Weave and Matt followed a good sound deadening Acoustic Layer. Then run a calc on the port size and depth.

Must not have worded my original post very well, was trying to say 1 each 250 watt RMS Mono block per Sub since the first Subs I looked at were only capable of 170 watt RMS. First choice would have been SunDowner 8" SA, but they are too deep and would not fit in the bags.

Why the infinity 6x9? The new motorcycle ones?
Recommended by a friend - no other reason

BTW: which model DSP

Old 06-21-2022, 10:01 AM
Kiel80
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I am doing an upgrade on my 03 ultra classic. I purchased the metra 95-hdin inner fairing which will let me put a double din in it, and size up the speakers from 5.25 to 6.5. I purchased the Sony 7000 HU, but I am still trying to figure out what speaker set up I want to go with. I am not going to do the saddle bag set up, so I will just be doing the fairing speakers, and the tour pack speakers.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:06 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Pretty much agree - the only way i could hear the music at 70 mph was to turn the bass OFF and crank it al the way up. What would you recommend in place of the RF 5.25"

Agree again - was thinking 5 or 6 layers of alternating Fiberglass Weave and Matt followed a good sound deadening Acoustic Layer. Then run a calc on the port size and depth.

Must not have worded my original post very well, was trying to say 1 each 250 watt RMS Mono block per Sub since the first Subs I looked at were only capable of 170 watt RMS. First choice would have been SunDowner 8" SA, but they are too deep and would not fit in the bags.

Recommended by a friend - no other reason

BTW: which model DSP
Everything depends on what your goal is and your budget and how deep down the hole you wanna go. lol

Old 06-21-2022, 12:38 PM
Freakindj
Advanced

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Everything depends on what your goal is and your budget and how deep down the hole you wanna go. lol
I ain't a scare't

Since the first reply I've been rethinking my fairing speakers. JL Audio 5.25" look nice and expensive, but Infinity also makes a 5.25" with greater sensitivity for about half the cost

Old 06-21-2022, 01:25 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I ain't a scare't

Since the first reply I've been rethinking my fairing speakers. JL Audio 5.25" look nice and expensive, but Infinity also makes a 5.25" with greater sensitivity for about half the cost
Why you stuck on those 5 1/4 speakers? Rethink all that lol.

They make adapters so you can put 6.5's in. Way better options and speakers.

The following users liked this post:
Bulee (12-06-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 02:45 PM
Freakindj
Advanced

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Why you stuck on those 5 1/4 speakers? Rethink all that lol.

They make adapters so you can put 6.5's in. Way better options and speakers.
Now that's what I'm talking about ....

What do you think about the Infinity 62IX 6.5" for the front fairing. Numbers sure read a lot better then the RF 5.25" Definitely will need some good clean power to get the most out of the Infinity speakers.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:25 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Now that's what I'm talking about ....

What do you think about the Infinity 62IX 6.5" for the front fairing. Numbers sure read a lot better then the RF 5.25" Definitely will need some good clean power to get the most out of the Infinity speakers.
RF are not good. Infinity are car speakers, so no again. JL are car speakers.

The majority of your sound comes from your fairing. Spend your money there! You want to throw all this time and money into the *** end of the bike that you will get little out of. Especially going down the road (on your setup. There are other *** end setups that pound going down the road)

Plan to spend $300-$600 on a set of 6.5” speakers that are designed for motorcycles. Then plan on spending another $300-600 on a good amplifier to push them so that they are loud and clear at 80+mph.

Time to pump the breaks and plan this shix out.

The following users liked this post:
Fireball Jack (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 10:28 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 843 Likes on 617 Posts

who 2 years ago recommended 5.25” RF speakers?? subscribed

The following 2 users liked this post by Weeboy1:
Fireball Jack (06-22-2022), smittyrock3 (06-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Audio Upgrades for 09 Electraglide