Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the GZ's

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 05:59 PM
fastsoup
Road Master
Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
I had the GZ's in the fairing....replaced them with Arc CX6's....150 watts and they me to smile all the time...no DSP
What was powering them & how much wattage when you had them in the fairing?

​​​

Old 06-19-2022, 06:32 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsoup
What was powering them & how much wattage when you had them in the fairing?

​​​
Arc Moto 720... and if you're talking about the GZ's I ran them at 150 watts and they were ok and then bridged them at 200. On the advice of one of the crew here I push them to about 275 and they fried. They also kept sending my amp into protect mode because of their faulty tweeters. I think we have gone over this as you have had many changes on multiple threads. I think you should just KISS...😉
I also put mmats 6x9's in the bags....later replaced buy Hertz Neo show SX690's 6x9's at 150 watts each. I think the overall system sounded better with the mmats as they were a little louder and easier to hear. If Arc comes out with the CX line in 6x9's I will buy them. The Hertz's probably need more power but I am done playing this game.

Last edited by golfblues; 06-19-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:22 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Arc Moto 720... and if you're talking about the GZ's I ran them at 150 watts and they were ok and then bridged them at 200. On the advice of one of the crew here I push them to about 275 and they fried. They also kept sending my amp into protect mode because of their faulty tweeters. I think we have gone over this as you have had many changes on multiple threads. I think you should just KISS...😉
I also put mmats 6x9's in the bags....later replaced buy Hertz Neo show SX690's 6x9's at 150 watts each. I think the overall system sounded better with the mmats as they were a little louder and easier to hear. If Arc comes out with the CX line in 6x9's I will buy them. The Hertz's probably need more power but I am done playing this game.
Did you have a dsp in line when the GZ's bit the dust? I will say that the mmats 6x9's will get louder than the hertz at 125-150 w. 200-250 is where the hertz shine and just a good sq speaker at that wattage. As far as faulty tweeters on the GZ's go, they wont take 275 without taming them down with that dsp. JS

I was the last person to say you need a dsp as I didnt understand them, how they worked, Q factors, slopes or any of those things. Now i wouldn't even install a 4 channel coax setup without one especially running double rms recommendations as most are doing.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:08 PM
fastsoup
Road Master

I have had multiple treads, but I was asking more for knowledge on why you pulled them out of your fairing.

I'm done as well...it's really getting ridiculous. I will say with confidence that certain set ups absolutely require a DSP. I put everything back to how I had it and it's the best I can have it at the moment. The 3 sets work well together.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:30 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

I have had multiple treads, but I was asking more for knowledge on why you pulled them out of your fairing.

I'm done as well...it's really getting ridiculous. I will say with confidence that certain set ups absolutely require a DSP. I put everything back to how I had it and it's the best I can have it at the moment. The 3 sets work well together.
I get it as I have put more speakers and amps in my bikes over the years just to see if it will be better. If your current setup works for you then there you go. We sometimes get caught up in what is better or new stuff sounding amazing and forget that what we have now just sounds good. Every time I go to a audio competition or hear my buddies setups sounding damn good, I want to change my setup to sound better. I often forget that it sounds good now. Damn unicorn.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:29 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Interesting...the whole month that I ran the Mille in the fairing, I never got the sensation I did when I put the YB's in the fairing and went for a test ride...within minutes I was making the "ugh I am disappointed" face.

Even yesterday, I put the Mille on the left & the Neo's on the right...put on some tunes and let each play left to right...and the Neo's hurt at high volume. There is no denying it...a DSP needs to come in play to help.
Welcome to car audio speakers vs motorcycle (pro audio)speakers. There’s a big difference. Millie are a car speaker. GZ are made for bikes. They are not made to be soft and warm and cozy. They are made to be loud and scream since you will ripping down the road at 65mph and nothing to hold the sound in.

I would also not cross those GZ at 80hz at 250w. Unless you don’t want them to last. I’ve been crossing them (with a CC1) at 125hz with about 225ish watts and they flat out pound.

As others have said, a DSP will help to bring the highs down. But if you don’t know what your doing with a DSP, then you won’t get shix from it.

if you like the Millie’s, then run them. Everyone has different ears and have different end goals.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:31 PM
fastsoup
Road Master

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I get it as I have put more speakers and amps in my bikes over the years just to see if it will be better. If your current setup works for you then there you go. We sometimes get caught up in what is better or new stuff sounding amazing and forget that what we have now just sounds good. Every time I go to a audio competition or hear my buddies setups sounding damn good, I want to change my setup to sound better. I often forget that it sounds good now. Damn unicorn.
Exactly...I decided to head in the direction of buying all the gear guys rave about...and now I think I have what I am looking for...for now 🤑.
​​​​​​

Old 06-19-2022, 10:39 PM
fastsoup
Road Master

Originally Posted by cshocker
Welcome to car audio speakers vs motorcycle (pro audio)speakers. There’s a big difference. Millie are a car speaker. GZ are made for bikes. They are not made to be soft and warm and cozy. They are made to be loud and scream since you will ripping down the road at 65mph and nothing to hold the sound in.

I would also not cross those GZ at 80hz at 250w. Unless you don’t want them to last. I’ve been crossing them (with a CC1) at 125hz with about 225ish watts and they flat out pound.

As others have said, a DSP will help to bring the highs down. But if you don’t know what your doing with a DSP, then you won’t get shix from it.

if you like the Millie’s, then run them. Everyone has different ears and have different end goals.

That's just it Shock...Mille's were used for quite some time on bikes (pre 2017) until the motorcycle game stepped up. As stated previously, it was pure chance my buddy had a set of these (for his Porsche) and didn't want them and I scooped them up for a steal.

With the Mille's in the fairing, and the GZ down below (crossed @ 80hz roughly 30v) and the SX Neo's behind me just screaming, to my ears, it sounds the best. I feel like it's a capsule. Yesterday with the Neo's in the fairing, it was the same ear piercing sound that the GZ's gave me in the fairing...I feel with the GZ's down and up towards me, they are a good distance away that they reach me just before they want to melt my face off.

I absolutely agree now...DSP on a bike is a Must. I hear you on the wattage being given to the GZ...maybe I'll dial them back a touch...but they really sound marvelous in the pods @ that setting.

The following users liked this post:
Gotham (07-03-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 08:32 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,596 Likes on 3,245 Posts

I just found a good sound from 4 speakers a few years back and stuck with that. Forget all the chasing unicorns!!!

Psych!!!

The following users liked this post:
Bluesman280 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 09:12 PM
fastsoup
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I just found a good sound from 4 speakers a few years back and stuck with that. Forget all the chasing unicorns!!!

Psych!!!

😆 - I only saw the physch part when I went to respond. I think with a DSP and Mmats in the fairing I may actually catch a glimpse of that Uni!

Quick Reply: Pulling the GZ's