Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Street Glide Audio Needs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 01:36 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Not that you need a yes man to Shockers recommendations, but what he said is a straight forward, good sounding setup for a wallet friendly budget.
I haven't heard this set up personally, but I know the Mmats sound good with 125 watts going to them, but I like them even better with 140 watts going to them. And JL Audio is always a stand up option.

The following users liked this post:
'09SG (06-18-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:43 PM
Idiocracy
Cruiser

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I am running a Pyle 400w amp (200x2 config) and 2 DS18 marine 6.5 neodymium magnets. Sound is amazing. Crystal clear at 70mph on the highway (I am running V&H Longshots...not quiet).

'09SG (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 04:01 PM
'09SG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
I haven't heard this set up personally, but I know the Mmats sound good with 125 watts going to them, but I like them even better with 140 watts going to them. And JL Audio is always a stand up option.
I went with the JLmx280JLmx280 and Mats 601cx speakers. I'm just running 2 channels without bridging so 50 watts per channel to the speakers.
I'm new to this........
​​. 50 watts seems to power them up very well, and actually (with the stock HK unit) it will distort the sound at high volume. Would bridging to get 2x the power improve the sound quality? Like I said, PLENTY of volume at 50 watts.
. I played with the gain a bunch to attain the best sound. (by ear)
. What I'm somewhat disheartened with is the lack of bass I was expecting. I realize the enclosure of the stock batwing fairing has it's limitations, but wondering if I can attain better sound and bass by setting up my system differently.
​​​​​​ . I appreciate all the input and suggestions given here.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:19 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by '09SG
I went with the JLmx280JLmx280 and Mats 601cx speakers. I'm just running 2 channels without bridging so 50 watts per channel to the speakers.
I'm new to this........
​​. 50 watts seems to power them up very well, and actually (with the stock HK unit) it will distort the sound at high volume. Would bridging to get 2x the power improve the sound quality? Like I said, PLENTY of volume at 50 watts.
. What I'm somewhat disheartened with is the lack of bass I was expecting. I realize the enclosure of the stock batwing fairing has it's limitations, but wondering if I can attain better sound and bass by setting up my system differently.
They're distorting from being under powered. Bridge them and set the gains properly and you'll see a huge difference.

'09SG (07-08-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 05:19 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm new to this........
Your factory HU will start distorting at about 4 bars from max volume. Anything above that will send distortion to your amp and speakers.
50 watts isn't enough power. Definitely bridge that amp. That will give you 140 watts per channel. More than enough for the Mmats coax.
Read the Sticky at the top of the audio section on setting gains properly.
You won't get bass from a 6.5" speaker, but you can get some decent snap/thump out of the Mmats if you find the happy spot for your x-over, in relation to setting the gains properly.
I run the Mmats in my 05 Ultra, set at 140 watts, and they sound great. I currently have a DSP in my system, but I ran the same speakers for a couple years without my DSP just fine.

'09SG (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 12:30 PM
'09SG
Novice

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
Your factory HU will start distorting at about 4 bars from max volume. Anything above that will send distortion to your amp and speakers.
50 watts isn't enough power. Definitely bridge that amp. That will give you 140 watts per channel. More than enough for the Mmats coax.
Read the Sticky at the top of the audio section on setting gains properly.
You won't get bass from a 6.5" speaker, but you can get some decent snap/thump out of the Mmats if you find the happy spot for your x-over, in relation to setting the gains properly.
I run the Mmats in my 05 Ultra, set at 140 watts, and they sound great. I currently have a DSP in my system, but I ran the same speakers for a couple years without my DSP just fine.
Interesting,
More power equals better sound.......
I do realize that 50 watts is nowhere near the max input for the speakers, and evidently I'm confusing volume with performance.
With your suggestion, I will bridge the amp to attain the extra power.
​​ . I'm handicapped with an analytical mind. Lol
. Even though there's more volume than I can handle with my current 50 watt setup, by bridging and doubling my power to speakers, I will realize better sound quality?
. Question.......
​​. ​​​ Does increased power to speaker also mean more volume? Or, not necessarily?
. Again, I apologize for my ignorance in this area. There's so much (for me) to dive into. Lol

Old 07-08-2022, 01:31 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

I'm new to this........
How to set the gains on the amp to get 50 watts? Nevermind, I saw you said you adjusted by ear. So you actually have no idea how many watts you are giving them. But, that's an easy fix.
Check out the sticky post on how to set gains. Then set your gains (with crossovers off and HU at 75% volume) to 23.6 volts, bridged. Then set your x-over around 100 (just a tad past 80). Then let us know what you think

Last edited by cshocker; 07-08-2022 at 01:35 PM.
'09SG (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 02:11 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Interesting,
More power equals better sound.......
I do realize that 50 watts is nowhere near the max input for the speakers, and evidently I'm confusing volume with performance.
With your suggestion, I will bridge the amp to attain the extra power.
​​ . I'm handicapped with an analytical mind. Lol
. Even though there's more volume than I can handle with my current 50 watt setup, by bridging and doubling my power to speakers, I will realize better sound quality?
. Question.......
​​. ​​​ Does increased power to speaker also mean more volume? Or, not necessarily?
. Again, I apologize for my ignorance in this area. There's so much (for me) to dive into. Lol
Yes technically it will be louder at the same volume as your previous gain setting.

But thats what the volume button is for if it gets too loud. lol

Make sure you set the gains properly though. Follow the sticky for setting gains.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:28 PM
'09SG
Novice

Originally Posted by cshocker
How to set the gains on the amp to get 50 watts? Nevermind, I saw you said you adjusted by ear. So you actually have no idea how many watts you are giving them. But, that's an easy fix.
Check out the sticky post on how to set gains. Then set your gains (with crossovers off and HU at 75% volume) to 23.6 volts, bridged. Then set your x-over around 100 (just a tad past 80). Then let us know what you think
Hello cshocker, thanks for your response.
The proclained "50 watts" is coming from the JL 280 install instructions, with the suggested methods of wiring.
. It was a straightforward install option of running 2 channels for 2 speakers.
. Yes, I understand the importance of "dialing in" the amp to achieve correct and optimal functioning for the system.
I understand from all the input/suggestions about doing so. What I did (by ear) was "play" with the gain settings for quite some time while listening to various types of music at different volume and tone settings to eliminate as much distortion as I could.
​. Maybe all that is futile, I don't know. I have a voltmeter, but only have my cellphone for the graghs etc.
. With that, you mention "crossover". I WILL be bridging to double the watts to the speakers, but where does the "bridging" take place?
​​​​​​ . With the bridged method, (what I'm going to do) requires an RCA "Y" adapter. I will need to locate a couple of those.
​​​​​​ . My mx280/4 amp came with the RCA input connections, and my stock HK head unit just has the speaker wires to connect to. I had to buy a good RCA cable to splice the speaker wires to for input to amp. Correct? A cheaper RCA cable has very little wire to work with, so a quality cable is a must.
. Is that correct so far?
. Thank you!

Old 07-09-2022, 12:32 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Hit me up and I’ll talk you through it: 763-238-7204

One thing with what amp specs say, 50w is the clean power. If you actually measured it, it could go to 800 watts, but it’s all distortion. That’s why it is so important to use a meter to set gains. Even a very slight adjustment in gain can mean a difference in 50 to 100 watts.

Last edited by cshocker; 07-09-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: '09 Street Glide Audio Needs!