Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EQ in Boom System?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 01:27 PM
propflux01
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force
Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts
Default EQ in Boom System?

Is there some kind of factory EQ on a 2020 FLHTK? I use mainly headset (High Quality) and run it through either carplay or just the AUX on the BOOM!. It is output though the 7-pin DIN connector to a 3.5MM headphone jack. But the sound is next to horrible, and no matter what EQ I change to on my phone it does not change what I hear coming out. Is there some kinda EQ that somehow is designed to protect the crappy speakers that I can disable? I can understand the MOCO trying to save the outside speakers, but on a headset, with outside speakers disabled, no excuse. I can listen directly through my phone or Ipod and no issue with the sound. Is this just me?

Old 06-13-2022, 05:11 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,598 Likes on 3,246 Posts

From the head unit the only adjustments can be made are bass and treble.

Stock boom radios have a horrible eq curve built into the software. The only way to curb it is to have the head unit flashed to a CVO or aftermarket flash.

The following users liked this post:
Rollbar (06-23-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 05:20 AM
propflux01
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force
Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited

Stock boom radios have a horrible eq curve built into the software. The only way to curb it is to have the head unit flashed to a CVO or aftermarket flash.
I Would imagine CVO flash is from Stealer, of course, but what about aftermarket flash, where does that come from?

Old 06-13-2022, 08:52 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Most dealers have the techno research or RF tool/software to do any flash, but many wont unless you're buying and installing the HD/RF stuff.

Any car audio shop should be able to flash a bike as well.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:49 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited

Does anyone know the approximate cost to flash to the CVO flash?
Thanks,

Old 06-23-2022, 08:25 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rollbar
Does anyone know the approximate cost to flash to the CVO flash?
Thanks,
I paid a local HD dealership 50 bucks for mine. Some audio shops may charge 75 even 100. Shop around.

Rollbar (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:09 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I paid a local HD dealership 50 bucks for mine. Some audio shops may charge 75 even 100. Shop around.
,and that will make the EQ adjustable and radio put out better etc?
Just bought the bike a month ago and been searching for information and first I have heard about the CVO flash.
Thanks,

Old 06-23-2022, 10:39 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollbar
,and that will make the EQ adjustable and radio put out better etc?
Just bought the bike a month ago and been searching for information and first I have heard about the CVO flash.
Thanks,
First, if you have it flashed, you won’t be able to adjust the EQ. Only treble and bass.

Not sure what DSM was talking about “CVO flash”. Maybe he was drinking that night or something.

You are asking a unique question that probably won’t be answered.

When a radio is flashed (CVO, 8/2, RF, DD, Soundz, etc) it flattens the EQ and changes the output voltage. So it’s actually quieter than stock. But flashing is needed when adding aftermarket amp and speakers. I’m honestly not sure if a flash will change the wireless headset sound or not. You may have to take a gamble, spend some money and find out. TBH.

To get it flashed, you can’t just take it to Harley or a car audio shop. Most car audio shops don’t have the correct flashing tool. You’ll need to go on Techno Research website and find a dealer near you. It will most likely cost you $80-100 to try. It may work, or may not. Your choice if it’s worth the try.

Rollbar (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 08:30 AM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cshocker
First, if you have it flashed, you won’t be able to adjust the EQ. Only treble and bass.

Not sure what DSM was talking about “CVO flash”. Maybe he was drinking that night or something.

You are asking a unique question that probably won’t be answered.

When a radio is flashed (CVO, 8/2, RF, DD, Soundz, etc) it flattens the EQ and changes the output voltage. So it’s actually quieter than stock. But flashing is needed when adding aftermarket amp and speakers. I’m honestly not sure if a flash will change the wireless headset sound or not. You may have to take a gamble, spend some money and find out. TBH.

To get it flashed, you can’t just take it to Harley or a car audio shop. Most car audio shops don’t have the correct flashing tool. You’ll need to go on Techno Research website and find a dealer near you. It will most likely cost you $80-100 to try. It may work, or may not. Your choice if it’s worth the try.
Ok and thank you for the information.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:53 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Confusing thread since it was hijacked by rollbar asking his question. The OP was the one asking about EQ and using headsets......

Quick Reply: EQ in Boom System?