Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cb receives only static

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022 | 04:08 PM
rmc115
|
Road Master
Default cb receives only static

Here is a puzzler for the cb gurus. Bike is a 21 cvo ultra (friends bike), perfect working cb module was pulled from 18 ultra on trade and installed by dealer into cvo. Never worked from day 1 on cvo, terrible static on receive, marginal transmit no static.
Dealer tried several times but never really did anything to fix just blew it off with excuses. They did try a new module with no difference. Today I Tried new front and rear antenna cables, swapped my correct antenna, no difference. I voltage dropped and checked resistance to tour pack ground and module, installed temp grounds to antenna and module with no change. It has to be a bike problem, all other parts were changed. Bike is equipped with a whim. I am out of ideas. Mike

Old 05-16-2022 | 04:52 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

I'll ask the obvious question, is the CB antenna installed in the correct location and not mixed up with the AM/FM antenna? Which side of the bike is the CB antenna installed?

Old 05-16-2022 | 05:16 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Did the dealer set "CB Frequency" to "AM" in Digital Tech? If not, it aint gonna work...

That was this guys issue
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...but-no-cb.html

FWIW, when I first put a CB in mine I tried a "hidden antenna", a good brand one too, and i could yell further than it would transmit or receive... added the stock whip to the tour pack and I get about 1-1/2 miles transmit and receive range.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 05-16-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2022 | 07:47 PM
rmc115
|
Road Master

yes, correct antenna on cb side

Old 05-16-2022 | 07:50 PM
rmc115
|
Road Master

That is possible on frequency but it was working before bike swap but i don't know they didn't mess with it. Mike

Old 05-16-2022 | 07:50 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Does the CB little indicator show up on the Home Screen? Does it highlight when you press ptt? Is right side control pack controls working? Do you see the squelch bars when you press up the squelch switch?

Old 05-16-2022 | 08:14 PM
rmc115
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Does the CB little indicator show up on the Home Screen? Does it highlight when you press ptt? Is right side control pack controls working? Do you see the squelch bars when you press up the squelch switch?
Yes everything operates normally and does transmit (not very well) but receive is all static. Just to be clear we both have had ultras for many years and use the cb regularly. it is not a user error. Mike

Old 05-17-2022 | 08:35 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

FWIW, the settings mentioned about are not stored in the CB module, its in each particular bike's settings... just because the module was working in one bike doesn't mean the new bike is set the same way, thats what has to be checked when you put it in a new bike... to be sure the new bike's setting are correct.

But, you say it is transmitting, just "not very well"? Is something receiving it, just not too well also? If so, this is exactly what I ran into at first when I installed it in my RGU, with a J&M hidden antenna. I couldn't get it to work very well (less than a 100') and there was a lot of static, until I just put a stock whip antenna on the tour pack... then all was well.

If you are able to transmit and receive, although"not good", I would have the 3 settings verified in that other thread, and they're probably fine, but take them out of the equation.
Clean all connections for the antenna, and verify the ground connections are good.

Also, user Hammz knows this CB stuff really well, you might hit him up PM, if he doesn't stumble on to this thread, I bet the two of you can figure it out.

Old 05-17-2022 | 03:57 PM
rmc115
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Did the dealer set "CB Frequency" to "AM" in Digital Tech? If not, it aint gonna work...

That was this guys issue
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...but-no-cb.html

FWIW, when I first put a CB in mine I tried a "hidden antenna", a good brand one too, and i could yell further than it would transmit or receive... added the stock whip to the tour pack and I get about 1-1/2 miles transmit and receive range.
ding ding we have winner, He stopped by the dealer and it was on fm and they said it is ok. I told him go back and change it to am. Have not rechecked it yet but should be the fix. I can read mine with my snap on scan tool and it is set to am. They obviously don't know what the correct setting is and may have changed it on install. Thanks for the help. Mike

The following users liked this post:
Ssitruc (05-18-2022)
Old 05-21-2022 | 07:05 PM
ardakota
Road Captain

I put two different known working cb modules on my 2020 CVO Limited they both were just static and you could sometimes hear someone talking but it was static and muffled and you couldnt talk out. I saw on a linked post about the cb setting in digital technician needs to be set to am. My question is does anyone have a screenshot of the digital technician where it is set. Our techs are not too good at the cb.

Quick Reply: cb receives only static