Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford amp issue draining battery when key off

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 06:40 PM
Mitch Wing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hamah
It’s not a configurable option. Without access to schematics it’s not worth the effort to fix on the bench IMO. Normally I’m not a fan of adding components such as an LoC if they aren’t needed but in this case it would appear that it would be. Cheap and easy fix if that’s the case.

According to Rockford, remote turn on required, and it's connected to the brake side like it says.

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rnt/...uning_2014.pdf

Old 04-26-2022, 07:13 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch Wing
According to Rockford, remote turn on required, and it's connected to the brake side like it says.

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rnt/...uning_2014.pdf
The passage I quoted above was on page 15 of the manual and seems to state otherwise. Remote turn-on is only used with low-level inputs.

You don't seem to have the option of a remote turn-on input when using high-level (speaker) inputs (and the remote becomes an output and not an input). To me, this behavior sounds like what you are seeing.

Why the amp is sensing signal at the input while the HU is powered off I can't say but I ALWAYS avoid using signal sense power whenever possible. It's almost always the cause of weird problems like this and a total PITA. Unfortunately, unlike most manufacturers, RF doesn't have a configurable option to allow you to pick how to turn on the amp and so you are forced to use low-level inputs if you want a remote input.

Just pick up an
LoC LoC
and hook it up and I'll bet your issue is resolved (and if not you're out $11 and may need to look to get a different amp).

EDIT: if this problem is reproducible and happens every time, it's easy to see if my hunch is correct. Just unplug the 2 input RCAs at the amp and leave everything else as is. If the amp doesn't power up ....

Last edited by hamah; 04-26-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:31 PM
Mitch Wing
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hamah
The passage I quoted above was on page 15 of the manual and states otherwise. Remote turn-on is only used with low-level inputs.

You don't seem to have the option of a remote turn-on input when using high-level inputs (and the remote becomes an output and not an input). To me, this behavior sounds like what you are seeing.

Why the amp is sensing signal at the input while powered off I can't say but I ALWAYS avoid using signal sense power whenever possible. It's almost always the cause of weird problems like this and a total PITA. Unfortunately, unlike most manufacturers, RF doesn't have a configurable option to allow you to pick how to turn on the amp and so you are forced to use low-level inputs if you want a remote input.

Just pick up an LoC and hook it up and I'm certain your issue will be resolved (and if not you're out $11 and may need to look to get a different amp).

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Once this battery charges back up, i'm going to hook it back up, verify normal operation, then shut it all off. Then I will unplug the speaker inputs and remote input and see if it stays off or turn back on. Depending on the results I'll proceed from there. If amp powers on somehow with only batt and gnd connected, then def an issue with the amp itself. If it stays off, I will hook up one at a time the speaker input then remote and see which one is causing the issue and go from there.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:41 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Another alternative would be to use a relay on the amp power wire that would turn on only when you turn on the bike. They are cheap sub 10.00.

The following users liked this post:
Mitch Wing (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:06 PM
Mitch Wing
6th Gear

Battery fully charged again. Hooked everything back up. Amp will not power on without remote wire connected. With key in acc or ign position the amp comes on with remote wire connected as it should and off in off position. I disconnected speaker inputs and remote wire anyway to see if amp powers on by itself overnight. I started digging through wiring diagrams last night and got me wondering if the battery tender could be somehow causing the amp to kick on. Doesn’t seem like that would be possible but who knows. Also, next thing I’m going to check is the P&A relay, maybe somehow that could be activating when it’s not supposed to.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:01 AM
HawkX66
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch Wing
Battery fully charged again. Hooked everything back up. Amp will not power on without remote wire connected. With key in acc or ign position the amp comes on with remote wire connected as it should and off in off position. I disconnected speaker inputs and remote wire anyway to see if amp powers on by itself overnight. I started digging through wiring diagrams last night and got me wondering if the battery tender could be somehow causing the amp to kick on. Doesn’t seem like that would be possible but who knows. Also, next thing I’m going to check is the P&A relay, maybe somehow that could be activating when it’s not supposed to.
Were you able to sort your issue out?

Old 02-22-2023, 04:35 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts

delete

Last edited by memphisharley; 02-22-2023 at 04:37 PM.