Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley headphone adapter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 05:37 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by propflux01
Question. What kind of earbud 3.5 jack do you use? A TRS or TRRS? A TRS just is for 2 speaker buds, a TRRS is for a set of buds with a MIC. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

The one with the 3 black spacers is a TRRS, which has a mic. The one with 2 black spacers is for a standard set of earbuds without a mic. Which type works with that adapter?
Pretty sure those adaptors are only TRS but you should contact the manufacturer to be sure. BTW you should be able to plug a TRRS headset into a TRS jack and still get music...just no mic.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:23 PM
propflux01
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force
Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
Take a look at this thread It's because your older headset has a high impedance mic which won't work with the GTS. I believe Harley replaced that model you have with a new version that has a low impedance mic.
I see and that answers a question but raises another. In the thread it is stated
"The problem has to do with the microphone impedance that the Freewire unit presents to the GTS audio system; the older radios like the Boom! 6.5 use a higher impedance microphone, where the new system expects to see a low-impedance mic.
This is why some older Harley wired headsets will not work properly with the new radios.
There are even CarPlay bypass plugs you can buy on Amazon and eBay; these enable CarPlay by effectively putting a jumper between the mic + and -terminals (typically for the passenger) on the radio… this presents a low impedance path on the microphone circuit and fools the radio into thinking there is a wired headset attached.
As you can see fron the pics, all these bypass plugs do is put in a jumper that shorts out the microphone circuit for the passenger. (pins 2 & 3 on connector 280A… and a dead short is extremely low impedance)
The upside to using the plug is if you never want to use intercom (or plug a headset in at all) this will give you CarPlay on the radio.
You can still use this bypass plug to enable CarPlay if you are using a Freewire for the rider position ONLY and don’t carry a passenger (or don’t care for the passenger talking on the intercom).
So I went out and ohmed my TRRS earbuds with mic. When the mic button is not depressed, it reads in the High K-Ohms. When I press the mic button to talk it goes to 3 ohms. I am guess in in order to use both the earbuds and the carplay, I will have to build an adapter for the DIN, and wrap tape or something around the mic button to keep it depressed in order to get the carplay working. Does this sound logical? And just for S&G's, I jumped the passenger DIN and carplay came up. It worked fine on the bikes speakers, but I then plugged my old headset in and it knocked the sound and carplay out.

BTW, thank you all for the help on this. I really want to have the best of both my worlds here, don't need or care for the bluetooth options, and just trying to make carplay work with a set of earbuds.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:40 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

I see and that answers a question but raises another. In the thread it is stated

So I went out and ohmed my TRRS earbuds with mic. When the mic button is not depressed, it reads in the High K-Ohms. When I press the mic button to talk it goes to 3 ohms. I am guess in in order to use both the earbuds and the carplay, I will have to build an adapter for the DIN, and wrap tape or something around the mic button to keep it depressed in order to get the carplay working. Does this sound logical? And just for S&G's, I jumped the passenger DIN and carplay came up. It worked fine on the bikes speakers, but I then plugged my old headset in and it knocked the sound and carplay out.

BTW, thank you all for the help on this. I really want to have the best of both my worlds here, don't need or care for the bluetooth options, and just trying to make carplay work with a set of earbuds.
But are you also needing a mic? Those adaptors likely will not have the mic leads. If so you may be able to short them in the adaptor or harness but you'll only get audio. If you need/want a mic then you could MacGyver something easily yourself that went 7 pin DIN male to 3.5mm TRRS female.

EDIT I guess a 3rd option might be to buy the 7 pin plug hack and leave it in the passenger connector and use the headphone adaptor for your earbuds but again, ACP but no mic.

Last edited by hamah; 04-13-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:30 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Originally Posted by hamah
But are you also needing a mic? Those adaptors likely will not have the mic leads. If so you may be able to short them in the adaptor or harness but you'll only get audio. If you need/want a mic then you could MacGyver something easily yourself that went 7 pin DIN male to 3.5mm TRRS female.

EDIT I guess a 3rd option might be to buy the 7 pin plug hack and leave it in the passenger connector and use the headphone adaptor for your earbuds but again, ACP but no mic.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I was under he impression that if the mic was 'shorted" it would disable the audio from any of the apps, like directions and such. Just seems there has to be an easy solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. I already spend $$ for the original Harley headsets years ago. I don't plan on doing it again! And as most of us know, unless I'm pumping several hundred watts through my bikes' speakers (and irritating everyone I ride by), the stock system sounds pretty crappy after about 25MPH. Not to mention with the earbuds, I can keep a lower noise level and help keep what little real hearing I still have.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:17 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Honestly, I'm not sure. I was under the impression that if the mic was 'shorted" it would disable the audio from any of the apps, like directions and such. .
I'm not sure about that. I think anyone using the plug hack is still able to get audio but as I don't have a GTS or plug hack I can't say with certainty.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:12 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

I use the HD wired headsets that came with my 2016 RGU (the loose ones for tucking in helmet pockets, not the ones with the frame), with the GTS and they work fine with CarPlay. I am doing the "software hack", and when I changed out the BCM (dealer installed) and my hack was disabled because of what they were doing, I was still able to get CarPlay using the wired headsets in the 3rd pic below... I didnt think to test the ones in my helmet before re-enabling the software hack. Having to use a headset was short lived though, because as soon as I got it home I hooked up my bike to Diag4Bike and re-enabling the software hack.

I too have some earbuds I like to use when riding without a helmet (they have the ear loop to keep them on while jogging... when I used to jog ), so I just went out in the garage and tested them with an adapter. So the audio works fine... just no mic functions, because I believe those pins have nothing on them in the adapter... could you "short" these in the adapter, and that be your "Jumper" hack too? maybe, but without tearing apart a good adapter & resetting my bike's software hack, just to test it, I don't know. BUT, you wouldn't have mic capabilities anyways... but otherwise CarPlay should function. Here's a pic of what I am talking about, the adapter is sold for Harley's and Honda's...
Problem is, all the 5pin DIN to 3.5 Stereo adapters, that I have seen, are audio only, no mic capabilities.

I also have this headset, for when I want a mic when I don't have a helmet on, and it works fine with CarPlay too... got it off Amazon 4-5 years ago, but they aint cheap either...

Amazon Amazon

I think, If you can find somebody that has Diag4Bike near you, and get them to "disable" "CarPlay Mic" would be your best option... unless you have a dealer hooked up to your bike often... because they could inadvertently disable your hack, then you'd have to get it switched back. That hack, I believe, just makes the system stop looking for/requiring a mic, but if you have one it works... best of both worlds. Then you can use whatever wired headset you want... AND then if you go WHIM.... whole 'nother set of things to consider....

What part of Arkansas are you in?

Last edited by Ssitruc; 04-14-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:38 AM
propflux01
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
I use the HD wired headsets that came with my 2016 RGU (the loose ones for tucking in helmet pockets, not the ones with the frame), with the GTS and they work fine with CarPlay. I am doing the "software hack", and when I changed out the BCM (dealer installed) and my hack was disabled because of what they were doing, I was still able to get CarPlay using the wired headsets in the 3rd pic below... I didnt think to test the ones in my helmet before re-enabling the software hack. Having to use a headset was short lived though, because as soon as I got it home I hooked up my bike to Diag4Bike and re-enabling the software hack.

I too have some earbuds I like to use when riding without a helmet (they have the ear loop to keep them on while jogging... when I used to jog ), so I just went out in the garage and tested them with an adapter. So the audio works fine... just no mic functions, because I believe those pins have nothing on them in the adapter... could you "short" these in the adapter, and that be your "Jumper" hack too? maybe, but without tearing apart a good adapter & resetting my bike's software hack, just to test it, I don't know. BUT, you wouldn't have mic capabilities anyways... but otherwise CarPlay should function. Here's a pic of what I am talking about, the adapter is sold for Harley's and Honda's...
Problem is, all the 5pin DIN to 3.5 Stereo adapters, that I have seen, are audio only, no mic capabilities.

I also have this headset, for when I want a mic when I don't have a helmet on, and it works fine with CarPlay too... got it off Amazon 4-5 years ago, but they aint cheap either...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I think, If you can find somebody that has Diag4Bike near you, and get them to "disable" "CarPlay Mic" would be your best option... unless you have a dealer hooked up to your bike often... because they could inadvertently disable your hack, then you'd have to get it switched back. That hack, I believe, just makes the system stop looking for/requiring a mic, but if you have one it works... best of both worlds. Then you can use whatever wired headset you want... AND then if you go WHIM.... whole 'nother set of things to consider....

What part of Arkansas are you in?
well, what I did last night was short the pins with a piece of wire for the passenger mic DIN. CarPlay game up on the radio just fine and I could hear it through the bike speakers. I purchased a 7pin DIN connector, and a TRRS female connector as well. I am going to wire it up so that when I press the mic button on my earbuds, then it should work. My thinking now is that as long as I keep the passenger mic shorted, CarPlay stays up. Then if I need to speak into the mic for Siri or whatnot, I can use the earbud mic button and speak to it, also hear directions. I won’t know until the parts come in and I actually get to try input, but right now I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I think with an adapter I would actually get to hear the earbuds, and I am thinking my bike just doesn’t like my older com headset from Harley and is somehow completely incompatible with it, even for just listening to music through the DIN. Looking at your third pic, my headset looks very similar, but is older, with a rectangle plug to connect to the extension DIN.

As for location, Conway area, just north of Little Rock.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:56 AM
propflux01
Road Master

My headset looks like this one (shown without the extension to DIN)

Notice rectangular plug instead of rounder ones like yours

Old 04-14-2022, 11:24 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

You're on the other side of the state... was just going to say if you were on the east side of the state, bring the bike by the Tulsa area and we'll disable that one setting and see if it does what you want. Save you from all the other stuff. But, like I said above, a dealer hooking up DigitalTech can undo it, so it would suck to get it like you want... then it be gone
But it is easy enough to redo it... I have had to a couple of times.

Like you sit, you're still going to be tied to the mic requirement of CarPlay. Keeping the passenger plug/jumper in should get you around that... To use the mic, you'll be pushing voice command button (the other end of the left blinker button) so you can tell it what you want it to do, then press your "new" mic button to "activate" your mic to say whatever that is (or talk on the phone)...

Old 04-14-2022, 11:43 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah.. can't believe they're not CarPlay compatible???
I took a 77156-98A, made for full & 3/4 helmets, and put them in a Bell Pit Boss 1/2 helmet with ear pockets... for those helmet states or when I'm wearing one.

Need to clean bugs off that thing...

Quick Reply: Harley headphone adapter