Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighted Controls 2015 FLHTP, Horn won’t stop honking/left controls do not work

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 04:28 PM
jakobstone
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lighted Controls 2015 FLHTP, Horn won’t stop honking/left controls do not work

I installed lighted hand controls on my 2015 FLHTP Police Electra Glide (installing a stereo system)

Soundstream HDHU14+
Metra BC-9700P police package wiring harness
Scosche - HDSWC2 -Harley Hand Control interface
Hertz HMP1D - with prewired Volunteer audio harness.
Hertz SX165NEO 6.5” speakers x 2

Before I installed the stereo, I installed the lighted hand controls that I bought from Harley Davidson. When I turned the bike on to test the functionality I turned the ignition the horn starts blaring and will not stop. So I disconnected the horn and did more testing. Nothing on the left side works. Blinkers, seek, cruise control, horn (obviously), headlight high beams, etc.

The right side ignition, blinker, hazards, . I’ve never had a radio on a 2014-up bike, so I’m not 100% sure if the right audio controls are working. On the right side the control with the arrow on it only controls volume up and down. And if I push it in, it mutes the sound.

Anyone know the fix? Is this a bad set of controls? I’ve been told anything from “the controls are bad” to “those will not work on a police bike” and “it’s well known that harley lighted hand controls tend to be faulty”.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2022, 06:07 PM
FLHTPatrick
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 113 Posts

I’m hoping you get it figured out. I may soon run into this scenario. I have the controls ready to install when I install my new bars and I was planning on getting the same radio to install. I was wondering how all of the controls would work as right now the passing lamps are controlled by the red switch on the right control which is a navigation type button on the new lighted controls. I’ll be keeping any eye on your thread here. It’s hard to find much info on installations on the police bikes.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:46 PM
jakobstone
Intermediate

I hope I do too, I highly recommend this setup from Volunteer Audio btw. Sounds loud and super clear. I listen to a lot of heavy metal and it’ sounds amazing.

Also, Jay from volunteer will make sure you get it done right. Aside from the hand controls, (Not Volunteers fault) everything works great. I’m scared to take it all the way to max volume 50, but it’s clear all the way to 40 in my experience. Volunteer says it’s clear up to 50, I have no doubts, but I don’t need a noise complaint from my neighbors.

Originally Posted by FLHTPatrick
I’m hoping you get it figured out. I may soon run into this scenario. I was planning on getting the same radio to install..

Old 03-18-2022, 07:52 PM
FLHTPatrick
Tourer

Originally Posted by jakobstone
I hope I do too, I highly recommend this setup from Volunteer Audio btw. Sounds loud and super clear. I listen to a lot of heavy metal and it’ sounds amazing.

Also, Jay from volunteer will make sure you get it done right. Aside from the hand controls, (Not Volunteers fault) everything works great. I’m scared to take it all the way to max volume 50, but it’s clear all the way to 40 in my experience. Volunteer says it’s clear up to 50, I have no doubts, but I don’t need a noise complaint from my neighbors.
That is the system I’ve been looking at. Just having trouble making myself pull the trigger. I just bought the bike and have been buying stuff for it like crazy and another $1600 dollars is tough to swallow. I’ll probably do it though.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:53 PM
FLHTPatrick
Tourer

How are your auxiliary/passing lamps controlled? Mine are still in the hand control they would’ve operated when they were strobes. Wondering how/if they’ll work with the lighted controls or if I’ll have to re-wire them somehow.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:16 PM
jakobstone
Intermediate

I got the amp too, it was pricey, but worth it for the “plug and play” aspect of it. I think I’m gonna go to a dealership and see what they say if I don’t get any answers in here.

Originally Posted by FLHTPatrick
That is the system I’ve been looking at. Just having trouble making myself pull the trigger. I just bought the bike and have been buying stuff for it like crazy and another $1600 dollars is tough to swallow. I’ll probably do it though.

The following users liked this post:
FLHTPatrick (03-18-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 02:07 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm wondering if it’s an ECM thing because it’s a police edition (may need programming?)

what I can tell you is I installed lighted controls on my 2017 FLHXS, no horn issue.
I recently installed the Soundstream HU and I had a Sony before that.

no issue with the left hand controls on either

your right is working as expected

pull the radio connection (simple) and go over your hand control install. Making sure the obvious like a trapped wire and colors match at the connectors

GL

Originally Posted by jakobstone
I installed lighted hand controls on my 2015 FLHTP Police Electra Glide (installing a stereo system)

Before I installed the stereo, I installed the lighted hand controls that I bought from Harley Davidson. When I turned the bike on to test the functionality I turned the ignition the horn starts blaring and will not stop. So I disconnected the horn and did more testing. Nothing on the left side works. Blinkers, seek, cruise control, horn (obviously), headlight high beams, etc.

The right side ignition, blinker, hazards, . I’ve never had a radio on a 2014-up bike, so I’m not 100% sure if the right audio controls are working. On the right side the control with the arrow on it only controls volume up and down. And if I push it in, it mutes the sound.

Anyone know the fix? Is this a bad set of controls? I’ve been told anything from “the controls are bad” to

Old 03-22-2022, 12:42 PM
urslo
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd call Volunteer Audio.
Hope you get it worked out because I'm picking up a 2021 FLTHP next week and this is the first upgrade I'll be doing.
Good luck
Ron P.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:32 AM
urslo
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you get it worked out?

Thanks,
Ron P.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:13 PM
FLHTPatrick
Tourer

@jakobstone any updates?

I got my HDHU14 installed and noticed I have no horn and my aux lights aren’t working from the right hand control. My passing lamps were turned on/off using what would’ve been the strobe button on the police Controls

Volunteer is sending me a new hand control module because I’m not getting power on the switched power wire out of the hand control module so my deck won’t turn in unless I jump constant to switched. I’m hoping maybe the module is bad and that’s why the other stuff isn’t working. My signals, dash trip button, high/low all work.

Anyway, just wondered how you’re getting along with yours.

Quick Reply: Lighted Controls 2015 FLHTP, Horn won’t stop honking/left controls do not work