Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soundstream unit for 2014 and newer only?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 08:59 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Good to know! I’m surprised I haven’t seen more about this Boss HU. It marine grade and looks like it does everything that the Sony does. Again, thanks for the info!
oh, and it’s way cheaper too!

Last edited by Jerry L; 03-21-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:31 AM
CarlB
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I bought this HU for my 09 with Metra 95-HDIF. In the process of installing now. Mistake was to install the IF before getting the HU. Effectively performing root canal with a dremel tool to enlarge the opening. Should have done that work on the bench.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:51 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CarlB
FWIW, I bought this HU for my 09 with Metra 95-HDIF. In the process of installing now. Mistake was to install the IF before getting the HU. Effectively performing root canal with a dremel tool to enlarge the opening. Should have done that work on the bench.
Nice! Keep us posted and post pics when done. How much enlarging did you have to do?
Jerry

Old 08-06-2022, 10:11 AM
CarlB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jerry L
How much enlarging did you have to do?
Jerry
Trim ring and rubber boot are non-starters. There is no way they can fit into recessed area. The unit would have faceplate outside IF blocking ignition switch. 100% material removed from top and bottom with a 1/4" removed from each side and the corners squared up. I can get the unit to poke through from inside with front panel flush with IF. I need to trim mounting brackets and lock it in and will probably silicon caulk from inside to seal it up. I am pretty certain it is water that killed my factory HU.

FWIW, the metra 95-HDIF also conflicted with my LRS windshield, Viking windshield bags and Polk MM coax speakers. The speakers I can fix with about 1/2 of shim rings and longer bolts but for now I installed without grills. The LRS windshield (Deacon maybe?) had to be trimmed and the Viking bags were new so I'm exchanging.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:45 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Trim ring and rubber boot are non-starters. There is no way they can fit into recessed area. The unit would have faceplate outside IF blocking ignition switch. 100% material removed from top and bottom with a 1/4" removed from each side and the corners squared up. I can get the unit to poke through from inside with front panel flush with IF. I need to trim mounting brackets and lock it in and will probably silicon caulk from inside to seal it up. I am pretty certain it is water that killed my factory HU.

FWIW, the metra 95-HDIF also conflicted with my LRS windshield, Viking windshield bags and Polk MM coax speakers. The speakers I can fix with about 1/2 of shim rings and longer bolts but for now I installed without grills. The LRS windshield (Deacon maybe?) had to be trimmed and the Viking bags were new so I'm exchanging.
Wow, Carl! Thanks for the update, but my inner fairing is already custom painted and tho I’ve been known to modify after paint, I don’t think I can do that to mine. Good luck with yours! Oh, I’d still like to see pics when you are done!

Old 08-08-2022, 09:55 AM
CarlB
Advanced

A quick shot of the Metra inner fairing mod 95-HDIF pre-painted in vivid black with Boss MRCP9685A. I had Android Auto running with maps and Spotify playing. All the reflections don't do it justice in this pic.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:26 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

A quick shot of the Metra inner fairing mod 95-HDIF pre-painted in vivid black with Boss MRCP9685A. I had Android Auto running with maps and Spotify playing. All the reflections don't do it justice in this pic.
that came out nice, Carl! Kudos!