Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the audio gurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 02:58 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,172 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Question for the audio gurus

Quick question here gang - I have a 2013 Ultra Classic purchased used without a tourpak. The wiring harness for the tourpak including speakers is neatly ziptied under the seat so it's available to use to drive rear speakers from the stock Harmon Kardon head unit w/cd player. I know it's a far cry from state-of-the-art but it's good enough for me. My question is this...I wish to replace the vivid black saddlebag lids (some boot scuffs scratches etc) with aftermarket 6X9 lids. What would be the specs of the 6X9 speakers I would need to hunt down to make this doable? Do you have any recommendations for rear speakers that will work fine along with the stock head unit and stock Harley fairing speakers (no additional amp)? And lastly....what does Harley use with the factory installed saddlebag speakers like a CVO Streetglide to make the wiring unplug to remove the bags and also make the wiring entry into the saddlebag water tight? Thanks in advance for any help and guidance!

Old 03-12-2022, 03:22 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by wide glider
Quick question here gang - I have a 2013 Ultra Classic purchased used without a tourpak. The wiring harness for the tourpak including speakers is neatly ziptied under the seat so it's available to use to drive rear speakers from the stock Harmon Kardon head unit w/cd player. I know it's a far cry from state-of-the-art but it's good enough for me. My question is this...I wish to replace the vivid black saddlebag lids (some boot scuffs scratches etc) with aftermarket 6X9 lids. What would be the specs of the 6X9 speakers I would need to hunt down to make this doable? Do you have any recommendations for rear speakers that will work fine along with the stock head unit and stock Harley fairing speakers (no additional amp)? And lastly....what does Harley use with the factory installed saddlebag speakers like a CVO Streetglide to make the wiring unplug to remove the bags and also make the wiring entry into the saddlebag water tight? Thanks in advance for any help and guidance!
You would be best fitted with some 2ohm 6x9 to get the most power from the stock HK. 4 ohm will work, but won’t get as much power.

You can get some waterproof connectors from Amazon and use a rubber grommet for the whole.

That is the technical opinion.

Now for my honest opinion: complete waste of time and money to add 6x9 lids without an amp. Save up some money and upgrade your fairing speakers with better ones and add an amp. That’s where 80% of your sound comes from. Lid speakers (unless done correctly) will fade away after 30 mph.

The following users liked this post:
Carolina Dreamin' (03-13-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 03:36 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,172 Likes on 354 Posts

It's an old bike and not my only one so I don't wanna dump lots of cash into it. I want to replace the saddlebag lids primarily so I figured why not buy the ones that accept speakers and use the stock wiring under the seat. I will need waterproof speakers I guess as the speaker grills point up. So you say 2ohm speakers will output a bit more sound...any recommendations for something that can withstand the rain? Thanks

Old 03-13-2022, 09:40 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

I have no recommendation. I would look for Kicker or Polk though.

Or buy CVO lids and put Harley 5x7 speakers in them.

wide glider (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 07:54 PM
smittyrock3
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They don't sound as good underpowered vs being amped but Infinity Kappa 6x9s are 2.5 ohms. Ran them in a 2009 Ultra Classic and the water didn't bother them at all. I personally would not run them without an amp though. Wouldn't be worth the effort or money in my humble opinion especially if you're paying more than what you could find either the lids or speakers for on Amazon or eBay.

wide glider (03-14-2022)