Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Harley 6.5GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 04:50 PM
Justin Barringer
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Harley 6.5GT

Good afternoon, I am purchasing the new GTS radio for my 17 Street Glide Special and I wanted to give my friend who has a 20 Street Glide standard (4.3 radio) my GT radio and I inquired about the compatibility at my dealer. They said that the radio's are vin locked. Can someone confirm this please. I was hoping that I wouldn't have a paper weight just laying around. Besides, I've seen plenty of other people selling these all the time. Thanks to those who respond.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:52 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,909 Likes on 3,706 Posts

I doubt this to be the case, but I can't confirm. They are always for sale used so I have to think the dealer can "marry" it to the receiving bike.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:03 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,242 Likes on 2,323 Posts

The GTS requires the dealer to configure it, according to the installation instructions. The 6.5GT instructions say to follow the service manual for installation, so I don’t know.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:27 PM
Justin Barringer
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
The GTS requires the dealer to configure it, according to the installation instructions. The 6.5GT instructions say to follow the service manual for installation, so I don’t know.
yeah I’m installing the GTS unit and having the dealer flash it (free) but I didn’t know if something changed with the ‘19 and newer bikes. Looking at the Harley website, the 6.5 GT radio is only compatible up to ‘18.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:57 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,601 Likes on 3,246 Posts

I've never seen an 18 down 6.5GT be vin locked.

The GTS use to be locked when trying to install in an earlier bike. The newest update corrected that issue.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:26 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

On a GTS, even a brand new one just out of the box, it will require being "Authorized" once installed in a bike, then configured to the bike... take less that 30 minutes to do. Supposedly right after install they will not do anything but beep annoyingly until authorized... although mine didn't beep after I installed it, it just didn't work until I paid the money if they have changed that, I have not heard that, which is certainly possible. I know there was software update fixed the issue of the original GTS's not working in an earlier Rushmore model bike.

On a GT, WORST CASE is he'd have to get the dealer or a indy, with the computer software to "program/authorize" the head unit, and/or configure it to his setup if it is different than yours (speakers, amp, cb, Sirius, etc).
If everything is the same on both bikes, on the GT I can't remember if it vin locks or not and if he'd need to do anything but install it... Lots of us have sold our used GT to other guys, when we added the GTS.

If your friend wants it the GT, put it in (it is easy), he MAY have to take it to the dealer or an indy and pay an hour service time to have it programed or configured, but it absolutely can be done. I have one dealer near me that, if it is installed, they would hit him for 1 hour service time for programming (their minimum)... the other near me would charge a 1/2 hour for doing the radio (if it is already installed). Even IF the GT is "Vin Locked", it is not a brick... it can be put in another bike.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 03-11-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:32 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,601 Likes on 3,246 Posts

As long as neither Street Glide had any Boom amps in play, there will be no configuration required. Cb was not on a SG and XM doesn't require configuration either, just install the module.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:25 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

Yeah, if everything is the same on both bikes (other than head units), it is so simple, but nothing was said one way or the other about any mods, so just throwing that out there.

I added a CB to mine and right switch pack with PTT button (16 RGU), system seen it all and it was available and worked without dealer intervention. Then later I put the SiriusXM module in it, GT didn't see it until I took it by the dealer to get them to "check the box" in the BCM/radio for me, maybe something was just jacked up for me though. When I added the amp... whole 'another story lol

But to the guys original question, If I had the 4.3 and my buddy was going to toss me a 6.5 for little more than an hour service time, worst case, I'd be all over it, definitely doable and not costly.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 03-11-2022 at 07:29 PM.