Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bass response , help to understand it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 12:01 PM
ral819
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bass response , help to understand it.

I'm still quite confused as to this concept ? I had a Sound Digital 800.4 amp installed with Ground Zero 6.5 speakers in the Fairing, 6.5 D B Euphorias in the lowers. I don't have a Digital Sound Processor , just a Sound Output Converter. The infotainment unit has been flashed. Volume isn't a problem but a lack of Bass in the sound is. I don't have any speakers in the bags. Is the issue here, that these are mid range speakers ? I seem to remember some speakers, I.E. the ARC Moto 602's, seem to sound better. What am I missing here ? Sorry, I just don't get it but I'm trying... I'm not expecting ground shaking bass response...

Last edited by ral819; 03-11-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:14 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

How did you set your gains specifically?

Old 03-11-2022, 12:16 PM
ral819
Tourer

You would have to ask the installer, I had it installed by a custom shop.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:22 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

There's so much to say about this. You need to do a ton of research to really get your head around all of it but here's a few points (generic and not specific to our bike sound systems):

- bass frequencies need to move a lot of air, This requires cone surface area and/or excursion (cone movement in and out).
- 6.5 speakers are best for the mid-range frequencies and not great as subwoofers (too small and/or not enough excursion). Ideally, you have a separate subwoofer (or subs) just for this purpose. While you're at it you also want tweeters for those high frequencies but that's for another discussion.
- those lower bass frequencies also need a lot of power to energize the voice coils to move the cones in the speaker. This usually means higher-powered amps or even a separate amp just for the subwoofer(s).
- to save your 6.5s from distorting or even frying you need to actually block off (filter) those bass frequencies from reaching them.
- subwoofers perform best in enclosures (vented or not will depend on a number of factors) so now the available space comes into play. Where and how to place your subs for the best performance.

Finally, and this is specific to bikes as they are an open environment (vs a car), is the phenomenon whereby we lose a lot of our low-end sound when we are moving. I'm not 100% sure but maybe this is just ambient noise or maybe it's physics (doppler effect?).

So understanding the above might help with some level-setting of your expectations.

Last edited by hamah; 03-11-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:27 PM
ral819
Tourer

Thanks , That helps to understand. I realize at 70 I'll lose some sound. I was hoping at 0 to 40 , I might get something better out of this investment...

The following users liked this post:
madhunter60 (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 12:31 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
There's so much to say about this. You need to do a ton of research to really get your head around all of it but here's a few points (generic and not specific to our bike sound systems):

- bass frequencies need to move a lot of air, This requires cone surface area and/or excursion (cone movement in and out).
- 6.5 speakers are best for the mid-range frequencies and not great as subwoofers (too small and/or not enough excursion). Ideally, you have a separate subwoofer (or subs) just for this purpose. While you're at it you also want tweeters for those high frequencies but that's for another discussion.
- those lower bass frequencies also need a lot of power to energize the voice coils to move the cones in the speaker. This usually means higher-powered amps or even a separate amp just for the subwoofer(s).
- to save your 6.5s from frying you need to actually block off (filter) those bass frequencies from reaching them.
- subwoofers perform best in enclosures (vented or not will depend on a number of factors) so now the available space comes into play. Where and how to place your subs for the best performance.

Finally, and this is specific to bikes as they are an open environment (vs a car), is the phenomenon whereby we lose a lot of our low-end sound when we are moving. I'm not 100% sure but maybe this is just ambient noise or maybe it's physics (doppler effect?).

So understanding the above might help with some level-setting of your expectations.
Its hard to know what hes hearing from his ears, but those speakers DO have some mid bass response. If he's not hearing any warmth, then something is wrong I'd say. Either his gains or his amp hpf perhaps.

Originally Posted by ral819
You would have to ask the installer, I had it installed by a custom shop.
Are you handy enough to take the fairing off and do some checking and maybe testing then? Assuming you took it back to your installer and still not happy with their "fix".

Old 03-11-2022, 12:44 PM
ral819
Tourer

I had considered installing a DSR1 but , this is all a different language for me. Years ago I had a BT2180 amp and 602's, but I fried one. They had more bass to them than the BT speakers. I may be going back to the installer...

Old 03-11-2022, 12:45 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Its hard to know what hes hearing from his ears, but those speakers DO have some mid bass response. If he's not hearing any warmth, then something is wrong I'd say. Either his gains or his amp hpf perhaps.
I agree completely. Likely his hpf is set a bit conservative. My response was more to get him thinking about what is and isn't realistic and why ("What am I missing here ? Sorry, I just don't get it but I'm trying")

Old 03-11-2022, 12:50 PM
ral819
Tourer

HPF is adjusted at HU or on the Amp ??? Sorry, I see , it's at the Amp ...

Old 03-11-2022, 12:54 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ral819
I had considered installing a DSR1 but , this is all a different language for me. Years ago I had a BT2180 amp and 602's, but I fried one. They had more bass to them than the BT speakers. I may be going back to the installer...
That's a good idea. They may have tuned conservatively. Tell them you were hoping for a bit more punch.

As teedoff was saying they could get a bit more aggressive on the filter (HPF) to allow a little more of the lower frequencies through. Be aware that doing this too aggressively comes with risk. Those lower frequencies require more power which might lead to clipping or possibly over-excursion of the mids. If the installer knows what they're doing this won't be an issue.

​​​​​​​ They will explain all this to you

Quick Reply: Bass response , help to understand it.