Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cplay2air

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 05:59 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Cplay2air

Those that have this, how happy are you with this product ? Reviews are horrible and Customer Service is also horrible based on the reviews. Questions, Is there a lag in the music ? how much battery drain after it connects to wifi ? most found that you had to connect your phone or battery would die. Honest review please from those that have this.

I purchased this based on a few threads here on how good the product was, after researching I wanted to return it, I have not received it yet and was told of a $25 restocking fee and close to $30 to ship it back. costly F-up on my part for not doing the research before hand.

So I'm guessing I will keep it, have there Been any updates to the product that makes it usable ?

Old 03-10-2022, 07:35 AM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,119 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I use the one below, it works great! I use it in my 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited, and switch it over to the bike on rides. 99.9% of the time it is trouble free, but these things are susceptible to RF interference, no matter which one you choose, there is one single area in my town that, no matter the time of day, it loses connection at the exact same location and re-connects at the same location......EVERY TIME! and it's not just my $100 Chinazon piece, my nephews $70k SRT Durango, which has wireless Carplay from the factory, disconnects in the same area lol.

As far as battery drain, it's a fact of life with these devices, it's no more than if you were using the phone. I don't know what you mean by "lag in music" I experience no such thing...

​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-10-2022, 07:44 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,665 Likes on 990 Posts

I have/had it, not for the bike but for my Ram. 1st 6 months it was flawless. It then started acting up so I updated it like the instructions say. The update turned it in to a brick. Customer service was a joke, they would respond once a day (if you were lucky) asking you things that were impossible to do. Finally got them to agree to a RMA, boxed it, went to PO to ship with tracking and insurance, they wanted 38$, said F*ck it, not worth it.

Bought the CarlinKit 3.0 off Amazon begining of January for 99$, it kept rebooting. Amazon replaced it almost immeadiatly. Replacement has been OK.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:23 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by 30glock
Those that have this, how happy are you with this product ? Reviews are horrible and Customer Service is also horrible based on the reviews. Questions, Is there a lag in the music ? how much battery drain after it connects to wifi ? most found that you had to connect your phone or battery would die. Honest review please from those that have this.
I purchased this based on a few threads here on how good the product was, after researching I wanted to return it, I have not received it yet and was told of a $25 restocking fee and close to $30 to ship it back. costly F-up on my part for not doing the research before hand.
So I'm guessing I will keep it, have there Been any updates to the product that makes it usable ?
I have had the CPlay2Air modules in my truck and on my bike since last July, and it works great, now, in both. My iPhone software is up to date (don't know that it matters). In the truck (Kenwood head unit) I throw the phone in the cup holder and forget about it, it connects on its own and works as advertised, and always has. On the bike, it also works good, although at first it seemed a little buggy, but I am not sure if that wasn't just me. If my phone was in my jacket pocket or "glovebox" in the fairing, it seemed to connect right up, and would maybe drop connection once in ten times out . But if I would put the phone in the tour pack it struggled to connect, and once it did it seemed like it would randomly drop the connection more frequently, thought it might be a range thing(??). This was in the first 3-4 weeks, and for some reason it seemed to become more consistent on its own as time went by, which makes no sense to me, and makes me think it was just me. Maybe I wasn't being patient enough in letting it connect itself and "untangle" itself when it was initially connecting each time during those first few weeks.

Then in the latter part of August I headed to S Dakota on the bike and had no issues with it the entire time, regardless of where I put my phone, although it was generally in a jacket pocket. After that I was over in Arkansas riding in the hills with zero issues with it. Lately I have been just tossing the phone in the tour pack and I can't remember the last time I have had it drop a connection. To be clear, the only "issue" I have ever experienced with the module, and this was in those first few weeks, was with it is connecting initially when I would go to head out, and randomly dropping its connection between the module and the phone while I was riding. As far as once its connected, it worked as it should and everything is available that should be and functions as it should (like you had it plugged into the USB cable).

The only thing I can think of is that I leave it alone now, I start the bike and let it warm up for a minute, and let the module and phone do their thing. Usually by the time I'm ready to take off, its ready to go, if not I leave it alone and it'll be along shortly... meaning sometimes it connects really quickly, and others it may take a few minutes. If I need to do something on the head unit while it's still doing it thing, I go ahead and do it, and it still gets itself sorted out.

To be honest I am not sure about the "updates" from the mfg (or any mfg), meaning I think I may have done an update when I did the initial install, but I have not since then for sure. I have had more stuff change, for the worse, when I have had something that was working fine, then did an "update" just because it was available... only to have the "update" cause me problems I didn't originally have... or cause me to loose some functionality that I liked. So anymore, if it is working right, I do not fix it until it is broken lol

I never have my phone on the charger when I am on the bike, or it is very rare that I do. I have a iPhone XR, I think its about 2 1/2 years old, that I use a lot, its my business phone, just to give some idea of my phones battery condition (phone shows its battery health "maximum capacity" is 88%). If I am out running around 4 hours or so, and have it connected on the bike using the module, listening to music, I really notice no appreciable difference, it will be slightly lower than if it had just been in my pocket not connected. Even on the way up to and back from S Dakota on days when we were riding literally all day, I wasn't ever in dire need to go get my phone charged at all. BUT, I do not use the map programs on the phone, I use the Nav on the GTS, so that may make a difference too. I mostly use it for music and have not noticed any lag, nor have I noticed any lag when talking on the phone thru the headsets & using the module.

Installing the module in my truck was a pain in the ***, and again it was probably me... but Kenwood has their own app (Kenwood Connect or WebLink or something) and during the initial install the two weren't playing nice together, but finally I somehow got past that, and I don't remember how/what the issue was... probably me... but finally it installed/connected, and all has been well in the truck since. The GTS set up was actually easier, and if I remember right, I just followed either the online instructions, or the very tiny writing on the piece of paper in the box.

​​​​​​​ Sorry for the long write up, but trying to be thorough... good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 03-10-2022 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
30glock (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 09:53 AM
Aluminum13
Tourer
Received 159 Likes on 91 Posts

I have it on my bike and it works fine… so far! As long as the boom sees the phone. Apple play is hit or miss but the wireless is working. It takes a few seconds to connect but no trouble yet.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:53 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Aluminum13
I have it on my bike and it works fine… so far! As long as the boom sees the phone. Apple play is hit or miss but the wireless is working. It takes a few seconds to connect but no trouble yet.
While above I said everything else I could think of... I should have also noted, that I do have all the music downloaded on to the phone, because I do think that makes it smoother, versus playing it from the cloud.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:13 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Sorry for the long write up, but trying to be thorough... good luck with your purchase.
Thank you for taking the time to be thorough, great write up. I will keep it and hope for the best.

Last edited by 30glock; 03-10-2022 at 02:20 PM.