Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct 1000hz test tone for setting gain

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 08:03 PM
billablehours
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Correct 1000hz test tone for setting gain

I set my amplifier gains using a 1000 Hz test tone but I see people using 1000hz -3DB or -5DB. What is the proper one to use and why use any of the variations on the basic 1000 Hz. Is there a disadvantage or advantage?

Old 03-05-2022, 12:28 AM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I've always used -5

Old 03-05-2022, 08:42 AM
billablehours
Tourer

Originally Posted by sponger
I've always used -5
why?

Old 03-05-2022, 04:05 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by billablehours
why?
Music is not recorded at 0 db. It very rarely (if ever) hits 0 sustained on playback. Remember that music is dynamic in both frequency and level. If you are going to use a single frequency at a static level to set gains then 1K Hz at -5 db is a good test tone for setting mids.

The following 2 users liked this post by hamah:
mcdc1224 (03-10-2022), scott_0 (03-05-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 05:42 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I clearly don’t understand enough about audio for any of this to make sense, but most people seem to agree on 1k -5db so that’s what I have always used. I just wish I understood more of the science or at least the rational behind it.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:33 AM
billablehours
Tourer

Originally Posted by hamah
Music is not recorded at 0 db. It very rarely (if ever) hits 0 sustained on playback. Remember that music is dynamic in both frequency and level. If you are going to use a single frequency at a static level to set gains then 1K Hz at -5 db is a good test tone for setting mids.
Thanks but what is the effect of setting at -5 or 0? Louder with one or the other? Better sound quality?
Intuitively I would think setting it at -5 may get some more volume but that may be wrong.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:53 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

The level of the test tone used in setting gains does not affect the sound quality. It does play a roll in how loud a specific song will sound at a given volume setting on the HU. If you set the gains using a -5db tone a song will sound louder than when played on the same system where you used a 0db tone to set the gains.

As music is recorded at levels averaging around -5db and lower you are, in effect, getting more from your amp when setting gains using -5db tones. If you want to play it safe and never see any clipping at all when playing music then use 0db tones. It'll act as a bit of a safety net and yes, you'll be leaving some headroom on the table. If you are ok with transient spikes in level causing the amp to clip you could try using -10db tones (unless it's a very bass-heavy tune you'll typically not hear the clipping distortion and your speakers won't suffer as the transient spikes are so brief)...but I don't recommend this if you typically always have the volume cranked on your HU.

Last edited by hamah; 03-07-2022 at 02:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CageyKG (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:41 AM
billablehours
Tourer

Originally Posted by hamah
The level of the test tone used in setting gains does not affect the sound quality. It does play a roll in how loud a specific song will sound at a given volume setting on the HU. If you set the gains using a -5db tone a song will sound louder than when played on the same system where you used a 0db tone to set the gains.

As music is recorded at levels averaging around -5db and lower you are, in effect, getting more from your amp when setting gains using -5db tones. If you want to play it safe and never see any clipping at all when playing music then use 0db tones. It'll act as a bit of a safety net and yes, you'll be leaving some headroom on the table. If you are ok with transient spikes in level causing the amp to clip you could try using -10db tones (unless it's a very bass-heavy tune you'll typically not hear the clipping distortion and your speakers won't suffer as the transient spikes are so brief)...but I don't recommend this if you typically always have the volume cranked on your HU.
Thanks Hamah. That is what I was wondering. Sounds like I need to open up the fairing again….

Old 03-07-2022, 09:33 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by billablehours
Thanks Hamah. That is what I was wondering. Sounds like I need to open up the fairing again….
Which tone did you use?

Old 03-07-2022, 01:24 PM
billablehours
Tourer

I used 1000hz -0db.
However, I just spoke to Larry at Cicada Audio and I am rethinking the whole issue.

Quick Reply: Correct 1000hz test tone for setting gain