Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 Road Glide options.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 09:38 AM
dynamic098
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 21 Road Glide options.

Good morning, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some equipment. I am hoping someone can chime in with thoughts and/or suggestions.
As I have said in previous posts, I am looking for warmth above all. I am hoping that I can tune this proposed system low enough and with enough power to get both loud and warm music.

I am thinking the GZ yellow basket for the fairing.
I am thinking the Cicada CX65.4 speakers for the TP.
I am thinking (1) SD 800.4 for the GZ speakers. I plan on bridging this amp for the GZ speakers
I am thinking (1) SD 400..4 for the Cicada speakers. I plan on bridging this amp for the Cicada speakers
I am thinking a Dayton DSP with the bluetooth dongle.

Does this sound like a solid plan?
Would I be better off with one amp, perhaps a 1220.4?
My concern will be how easy is the DSP to use?
What would I need to do to bring the GZ speakers down to the 50HZ?
Where would I want to bring the Cicada speakers down to as a starting point.
Will I need anything to fit the amps and speakers under the fairing?
Any other suggested parts/wiring harnesses etc that I would need?

I am hoping to get my head unit flashed.

Thanks for any help,
Bob

Old 02-28-2022, 05:18 AM
dynamic098
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Any thoughts?

Bump, any thoughts to this plan?

Old 02-28-2022, 06:32 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Sounds like a good plan with what you have laid out but if you're expecting the GZ's or any other 6.5" speaker to play down to 50hz, you're in for a rude awakening.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:09 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Do you have RDRS? If so you'll need to remove the bracket and move it. You'll also need an amp rack.

I have a 1200 and a dayton and its a tight fit even with the amp rack. I wound up using velcro and zip ties for the RDRS module under the HU and then the amp and dayton on the rack.

There is a bit of a learning curve with DSP's. Setting gains correctly though in the most important thing, so you're not blowing stuff up. There is a guy here in NC that offers remote tuning, if its too overwhelming to tackle yourself.

And you DEF need your HU flashed.

Last edited by teedoff65; 02-28-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:25 AM
Kenbow
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this for a rider bike or parking lot pimp? You could go with all Cicada 2ohm and one 800.4 and still get a respectable 220+ watts to each speaker. I don’t think most speakers will last, running double RMS in 90 degree temps for several hours at a time on a rider bike.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:29 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kenbow
Is this for a rider bike or parking lot pimp? You could go with all Cicada 2ohm and one 800.4 and still get a respectable 220+ watts to each speaker. I don’t think most speakers will last, running double RMS in 90 degree temps for several hours at a time on a rider bike.
Plenty of guys running much more than RMS numbers on a variety of speakers. Its really about a clean signal. No distortion.

Don't forget, unless you're blasting your speakers at full volume constantly, you're not even hitting your full target wattage very much.

Last edited by teedoff65; 02-28-2022 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:54 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Do you have RDRS? If so you'll need to remove the bracket and move it. You'll also need an amp rack.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I quite possibly may be), but I don't think the RDRS unit is up front under the fairing.
Are you talking about that big white module on the left (clutch) side by the HU? If so, that's the HD Connect module our 2020's have.
It was a grand idea HD had...kinda like OnStar. It didn't last long and they abandoned it quickly. Pretty sure 2021 + models didn't have it.
I had to remove that bracket and then also find a new place to stick that HD Connect module. I'd like to just remove it but I think it throws error codes then.
If the OP has RDRS, I just didn't want him concerned and looking for something that is not there. Again, I could very well be wrong.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:12 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lefty33
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I quite possibly may be), but I don't think the RDRS unit is up front under the fairing.
Are you talking about that big white module on the left (clutch) side by the HU? If so, that's the HD Connect module our 2020's have.
It was a grand idea HD had...kinda like OnStar. It didn't last long and they abandoned it quickly. Pretty sure 2021 + models didn't have it.
I had to remove that bracket and then also find a new place to stick that HD Connect module. I'd like to just remove it but I think it throws error codes then.
If the OP has RDRS, I just didn't want him concerned and looking for something that is not there. Again, I could very well be wrong.
No pretty sure the white box in my 2020 is the RDRS. Its mounted on a metal bracket right above the headlight on the back side of the HU.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:54 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
No pretty sure the white box in my 2020 is the RDRS. Its mounted on a metal bracket right above the headlight on the back side of the HU.
Don't want to de-rail the OP's thread but if you're talking about #31 in the pic below, that is the TCU for HD-Connect. Again, 2020 was the only year it's there as HD abandoned it quickly. Not there on 21+ models.
"Harley-Davidson motorcycles equipped with H-D Connect service include a cellular telematics control unit (TCU) that functions as a (LTE) enabled modem connecting equipped motorcycles to the cloud"
I found this out when I was adding a CB to my bike. Originally HD said CB will not work on my 2020 even though wiring/antenna was there? Realized the only reason was that the TCU was mounted where the CB usually mounts.
I just mounted the CB on the other side where the WHIM would normally mount. Now that HD has abandoned HD-Connect...magically the CB fits my 2020.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:25 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lefty33
Don't want to de-rail the OP's thread but if you're talking about #31 in the pic below, that is the TCU for HD-Connect. Again, 2020 was the only year it's there as HD abandoned it quickly. Not there on 21+ models.
"Harley-Davidson motorcycles equipped with H-D Connect service include a cellular telematics control unit (TCU) that functions as a (LTE) enabled modem connecting equipped motorcycles to the cloud"
I found this out when I was adding a CB to my bike. Originally HD said CB will not work on my 2020 even though wiring/antenna was there? Realized the only reason was that the TCU was mounted where the CB usually mounts.
I just mounted the CB on the other side where the WHIM would normally mount. Now that HD has abandoned HD-Connect...magically the CB fits my 2020.

I tried to find the parts diagram last night. Hmm maybe you're right. When I bought the bike, they never told me it had HD connect, just RDRS, so I assumed this was the RDRS module. Maybe they didn't mention HD connect because it was already shut down.

I'll confirm next service and if so I can get rid of that stupid thing! lol

Quick Reply: 21 Road Glide options.