Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Playing Boom 6.5 through Cardo PackTalk

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 07:42 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Playing Boom 6.5 through Cardo PackTalk

I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. I am considering getting the Cardo PackTalk to communicate with friends on rides, but before I do I want to know if it is possible to play music through the Cardo speakers and be able to control everything (volume, track, etc) through the controls on the Boom 6.5. If so - how do you do it?

I understand that I can pair my phone with the Cardo and play music that way, but I really want to be able to use the controls on the handlebar and be able to see the track on the screen. If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I have to imagine it's possible somehow.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2022, 08:45 AM
Cajun4x4
Cruiser
Received 229 Likes on 101 Posts

Maybe this will help. Ran into a similar problem with prompts not coming through my headset. Go to audio settings, Audio Routing; then on the next screen use the right hand toggle to move left or right to select speakers or headset for each section.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:37 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Do you have the WHIM installed on yours? Just curious if it would work with the Cardo without it.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:25 PM
Cajun4x4
Cruiser
Received 229 Likes on 101 Posts

Yeah it came with the WHIM. That's only way a wireless headset can connect to these radios.

Old 02-26-2022, 03:22 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by CageyKG
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. I am considering getting the Cardo PackTalk to communicate with friends on rides, but before I do I want to know if it is possible to play music through the Cardo speakers and be able to control everything (volume, track, etc) through the controls on the Boom 6.5. If so - how do you do it?

I understand that I can pair my phone with the Cardo and play music that way, but I really want to be able to use the controls on the handlebar and be able to see the track on the screen. If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I have to imagine it's possible somehow.

Thanks!
I have a pair of Cardo PackTalk's that my wife I use. We have a 2020 RGL with the GTS head unit, no WHIM. Pretty sure you can do what you're asking. This is how I do it and it works perfect for me.
My Cardo is connected (bluetooth) to my iPhone, then the iPhone is connected (bluetooth) to the GTS head unit. I listen to my music streamed from my iPhone (Spotify).
Because the phone is connected to the GTS, I use the thumb controls for controlling the music. With AirPlay from the iPhone, I can choose to send the music either to the Cardo speakers or the bike speakers.
I can receive phone calls this way if I want (I generally don't as it's my get-away time), and the number calling & info shows up on the GTS screen.
The battery life in the Cardo is awesome! Gone on multi-day trips, listening to music & communicating with others all day and not run out of battery power.
The extended battery power, JBL speakers, fully waterproof (most aren't), range, mesh technology, and fantastic communication are reasons I went with the Cardo PackTalk.
About the only thing I can't do is use my CB wireless but that's not that big a deal as I'm using it less all the time. Jury is out if would work if I got the WHIM...but then I'd loose stereo sound.

The following users liked this post:
CageyKG (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 07:34 PM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lefty33
I have a pair of Cardo PackTalk's that my wife I use. We have a 2020 RGL with the GTS head unit, no WHIM. Pretty sure you can do what you're asking. This is how I do it and it works perfect for me.
My Cardo is connected (bluetooth) to my iPhone, then the iPhone is connected (bluetooth) to the GTS head unit. I listen to my music streamed from my iPhone (Spotify).
Because the phone is connected to the GTS, I use the thumb controls for controlling the music. With AirPlay from the iPhone, I can choose to send the music either to the Cardo speakers or the bike speakers.
I can receive phone calls this way if I want (I generally don't as it's my get-away time), and the number calling & info shows up on the GTS screen.
The battery life in the Cardo is awesome! Gone on multi-day trips, listening to music & communicating with others all day and not run out of battery power.
The extended battery power, JBL speakers, fully waterproof (most aren't), range, mesh technology, and fantastic communication are reasons I went with the Cardo PackTalk.
About the only thing I can't do is use my CB wireless but that's not that big a deal as I'm using it less all the time. Jury is out if would work if I got the WHIM...but then I'd loose stereo sound.
Thanks! I was able to confirm what you said and even found a video of a guy doing exactly that. I'm so relieved!

lefty33 (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 10:05 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CageyKG
Thanks! I was able to confirm what you said and even found a video of a guy doing exactly that. I'm so relieved!
Yup...I think I saw that video some time ago. Couple of other things I thought of...
- if I remember correctly, when listening through the Cardo speakers, volume still needs to be adjusted on the Cardo. That's no big deal as it auto mutes the music as soon as communication starts on the Cardo
- I don't think you will get Nav prompts through the Cardo speakers. Again, no big issue for me as I don't care for the audio nav prompts and have that feature turned off anyway.

Good luck! The Cardo is a great unit and does everything I need it to.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:45 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

I have a Cardo Packtalk and XM on my Boom and it works using a Sena Freewire. I had to connect the Freewire using the 7-pin DIN kit from Harley and connected to my Packtalk, it works in stereo. Connecting with just the WHIM does not give you stereo unless you have a HD branded headset. I have a thread somewhere in here regarding the details of using the Freewire, that was when I was using the Bilt helmet with the built-in BT headset. If you have a WHIM already it should connect using your Bluetooth settings on the radio.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:25 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TexasMotorcycleRider
I have a Cardo Packtalk and XM on my Boom and it works using a Sena Freewire. I had to connect the Freewire using the 7-pin DIN kit from Harley and connected to my Packtalk, it works in stereo. Connecting with just the WHIM does not give you stereo unless you have a HD branded headset. I have a thread somewhere in here regarding the details of using the Freewire, that was when I was using the Bilt helmet with the built-in BT headset. If you have a WHIM already it should connect using your Bluetooth settings on the radio.
Good info as I have a Cardo PackTalk as well...no WHIM. Not sure if you can answer this or not, but do you know if you can access the CB wireless with the Cardo/Freewire combo? I believe you can with the HD branded Sena/Whim combo.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:27 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
Good info as I have a Cardo PackTalk as well...no WHIM. Not sure if you can answer this or not, but do you know if you can access the CB wireless with the Cardo/Freewire combo? I believe you can with the HD branded Sena/Whim combo.
Despite being BT 4.0 and in stereo, the PacTalk will not work for audio input. Sena has this restriction on their Freewire and Harley has a restriction on the WHIM. You need a Sena headset that is at least BT 4.0 and then the voice commands and CB should work.

These OEM's make it difficult to use other brands. Harley and the WHIM, you can connect a non-harley but you can't use voice commands and your output is MONO. Freewire works on any headset and in stereo but you have to have the Sena to use the microphone.

lefty33 (03-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Playing Boom 6.5 through Cardo PackTalk