Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Playing Boom 6.5 through Cardo PackTalk

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 02:45 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMotorcycleRider
Despite being BT 4.0 and in stereo, the PacTalk will not work for audio input. Sena has this restriction on their Freewire and Harley has a restriction on the WHIM. You need a Sena headset that is at least BT 4.0 and then the voice commands and CB should work.

These OEM's make it difficult to use other brands. Harley and the WHIM, you can connect a non-harley but you can't use voice commands and your output is MONO. Freewire works on any headset and in stereo but you have to have the Sena to use the microphone.
Yah...I kinda figured that. Not a huge deal but there's a few guys I ride with that still are using CB...but that's getting less & less each year (couple times). I keep one helmet set-up with the wired headset so that's what I use when I know I'll be out with them. Hopefully soon they'll see the merits of the PackTalk & mesh communication.

Old 03-21-2022, 03:33 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
Yah...I kinda figured that. Not a huge deal but there's a few guys I ride with that still are using CB...but that's getting less & less each year (couple times). I keep one helmet set-up with the wired headset so that's what I use when I know I'll be out with them. Hopefully soon they'll see the merits of the PackTalk & mesh communication.
Luckily almost everyone I ride with has gone to the Packtalk. Those who haven't can be bridged into the mesh through the app so as long as they maintain BT connection to the unit that is bridging them in, they can talk to the group. I even got a Packtalk for my GoPro now and can connect to the media mod for recording the group conversation or just using for a wireless microphone when I am solo. It is really cool what you can do with the Cardo systems now.

The following users liked this post:
lefty33 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 08:00 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CageyKG
Thanks! I was able to confirm what you said and even found a video of a guy doing exactly that. I'm so relieved!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30IO3HXOAo
The only problem you'll encounter is that while the PacTalk is connected to the WHIM you will not be able to use Mesh technology, and you'll get monaural sound, not stereo from the H-D Boom. The only way around that is to either go with the H-D branded Sena headsets or pull out the WHIM, connect a SENA Freewire, and then use a SENA headset. (And no, the PacTalk isn't compatible with the Freewire)

Old 03-22-2022, 01:28 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
The only problem you'll encounter is that while the PacTalk is connected to the WHIM you will not be able to use Mesh technology, and you'll get monaural sound, not stereo from the H-D Boom. The only way around that is to either go with the H-D branded Sena headsets or pull out the WHIM, connect a SENA Freewire, and then use a SENA headset. (And no, the PacTalk isn't compatible with the Freewire)
Why wouldn't you be able to use the mesh? The WHIM would connect as a phone on the Cardo, not as a comm device. That is how my Freewire setup is and I have no issues using the mesh network. I don't know 100% that the WHIM works the same but I am reasonably sure it is. And YES, I have a Cardo Packtalk connected to a Sena Freewire, it does work and I have zero issues. The only thing that won't work is the voice commands because Sena won't let other brands use that feature even if they have BT 4.0.

Old 08-06-2023, 06:20 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

This works

I found that you have to have it done in a specific order.

It needs to connect to the bike before it connects to the headset

Old 08-06-2023, 07:16 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

To go with wireless head set you need the WHIM unless I missed I did not see it mentioned.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:19 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

I want to hear my music with my headset. Not from the fairing. The whim integrates all that with a proprietary headset

having a cardo headset you are able to pair with multiple devices

As a respectable rider, I don’t like people hearing my music. Being able to scroll through music via handlebar controls and utilize Siri and Nav on the phone is a plus. You can also still have the Harley nav on also.

I’m assuming the Apple jumper and the wireless CarPlay adapter will be able to be utilized as long as you connect in the order as the YT videos states.