Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Units

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 09:30 AM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Head Units

Any decent head units out there for 13 and under bikes now that the Sonys are out of stock?

Old 02-06-2022, 10:12 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Kenwood or Alpine would be my next choice. All single dins are hard to find.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:57 AM
NHBAGGER
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
Kenwood or Alpine would be my next choice. All single dins are hard to find.
I don't really understand all the spec data, got a couple of units that look promising?

Old 02-06-2022, 12:11 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by NHBAGGER
I don't really understand all the spec data, got a couple of units that look promising?
Fair enough. Assuming you were given a specific model are you going to install it yourself? Do you know all the other parts you'd need etc.? If not you should call somebody local that knows bike audio that can pull it all together for you. If you have the skills you could buy a turn-key radio like from 702 or Biketronics

Old 02-06-2022, 02:58 PM
NHBAGGER
Tourer

Originally Posted by hamah
Fair enough. Assuming you were given a specific model are you going to install it yourself? Do you know all the other parts you'd need etc.? If not you should call somebody local that knows bike audio that can pull it all together for you. If you have the skills you could buy a turn-key radio like from 702 or Biketronics
No, will either have to find someone or go to a dealer installer. Also it's not for me, it's for my daughters 13 cvo rg.
She got an estimate from a shop last year of about $3000+. That was for receiver, amp and speakers plus labor. Not sure but she may have 6 speakers? Maybe 4 in the fairing an 2 in lids?
Pretty sure Stinger is the amp choice and mmats in the fairing and lids.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:06 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

With a CVO it all has to come out. It is not difficult but does take a bit if time.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:34 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

No, will either have to find someone or go to a dealer installer. Also it's not for me, it's for my daughters 13 cvo rg.
She got an estimate from a shop last year of about $3000+. That was for receiver, amp and speakers plus labor. Not sure but she may have 6 speakers? Maybe 4 in the fairing an 2 in lids?
Pretty sure Stinger is the amp choice and mmats in the fairing and lids.
Are you looking to replace the stock radio because it's not working or did you already have an aftermarket radio in the bike? If it's because the radio isn't working you could try contacting Iron Cross about a repair. They have a good reputation and if they can help it'll be the cheapest way to go. Alternatively, you could do a complete system replacement (which is what was quoted to your daughter). If you're replacing an aftermarket radio already in the bike it'll be a fairly straightforward head unit replacement and you could contact an audio shop near to you that specializes in bike audio.

Last edited by hamah; 02-06-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:30 PM
NHBAGGER
Tourer

Originally Posted by hamah
Are you looking to replace the stock radio because it's not working or did you already have an aftermarket radio in the bike? If it's because the radio isn't working you could try contacting Iron Cross about a repair. They have a good reputation and if they can help it'll be the cheapest way to go. Alternatively, you could do a complete system replacement (which is what was quoted to your daughter). If you're replacing an aftermarket radio already in the bike it'll be a fairly straightforward head unit replacement and you could contact an audio shop near to you that specializes in bike audio.
Stock radio that is cutting out. Looks like Iron Cross starts with a flat rate of $250 plus you have to ship it to them. Guessing you could probably get a new HU for that money.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:34 PM
NHBAGGER
Tourer

Found the old thread info on what was quoted:
""Rockford HU...$690
Stinger...$400
Front speakers Hertz Mille...$380
Rear speakers 6x9 Hertz Mille...$520
Labor around $700.""

Old 02-06-2022, 07:56 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Stock radio that is cutting out. Looks like Iron Cross starts with a flat rate of $250 plus you have to ship it to them. Guessing you could probably get a new HU for that money.
I’d need to confirm but I think that ‘13 CVO RG had 2 bridged amps. What I don’t know is if how those Advanced Audio Systems were wired, What the speaker impedance was etc. etc. What I’m getting at is that (as fireball was saying) Harley has a tendency to do things in a very proprietary fashion. If you were talking about a ‘14 on CVO you would be looking at ripping everything out and starting from scratch.

If the rest of the audio system is stock it may not be possible to replace just the head unit without a whole lot of hassle and/or money (or it may simply not be possible).

Call Iron Cross and have a conversation. If it’s just a $250 base repair plus shipping (plus any updates she might want to add like Bluetooth or pre-amp outputs) you’ll be spending a lot less than a whole new setup. That’s what I’d do anyway (but then again I try to
spend less and stay away from the complicated and exotic).

BTW I think every one of those quoted items are a lot more money and with limited availability today. I know that locally the RF head unit isn’t available and I see it listed out there at over $850. I just recently sold some used Hertz Mille 6.5s for more than I paid for them about 7 years ago.

Last edited by hamah; 02-06-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Head Units