Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo upgrade suggestions/flash

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 03:29 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade suggestions/flash

I'm in the process of getting a new stereo for my '16 Glide Ultra. I'm considering getting a new head unit or just doing a software upgrade on the stock head unit. I'm planning on adding an amp and speaker pods to the lowers and totally changing all the speakers to much better after market speakers.

My question, is what good speakers have you guys used and did you change your head unit as well or should I just upgrade the software in the OE unit? If I retain the OE head unit, will I need to do a flash when I change the speakers and add an amp?

Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:58 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

What is it about the stock GT HU that has you considering a swap? The Boom! HUs have the best weather protection and control integration available so it's hard to recommend going to an aftermarket HU. The GTS has a faster boot time and Car Play/Android Auto over the GT. If neither of those is critical then I wouldn't bother with the swap.

While not absolutely mandatory, if you keep the stock HU you will want to do a flash. If you look around here you'll find a lot of different speaker options and opinions on them.

If I was looking today now I'd be checking out Cicada. They are a fairly new company. The founder has a good background in mobile audio and the product line is aimed at Harley bikes. I've not heard them with my own ears but a few guys here have used them on installs and like them.

The spec sheets for the 6.5 COAX horns look great. The horns require slight mods to mount but they also have COAX speakers that drop in. The speaker lines are available in both 2 or 4 ohm. They also have an amp called the DSP125.4D that has a built-in DSP.

The following users liked this post:
crtman21 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 06:01 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
What is it about the stock GT HU that has you considering a swap? The Boom! HUs have the best weather protection and control integration available so it's hard to recommend going to an aftermarket HU. The GTS has a faster boot time and Car Play/Android Auto over the GT. If neither of those is critical then I wouldn't bother with the swap.

While not absolutely mandatory, if you keep the stock HU you will want to do a flash. If you look around here you'll find a lot of different speaker options and opinions on them.

If I was looking today now I'd be checking out Cicada. They are a fairly new company. The founder has a good background in mobile audio and the product line is aimed at Harley bikes. I've not heard them with my own ears but a few guys here have used them on installs and like them.

The spec sheets for the 6.5 COAX horns look great. The horns require slight mods to mount but they also have COAX speakers that drop in. The speaker lines are available in both 2 or 4 ohm. They also have an amp called the DSP125.4D that has a built-in DSP.

Awesome. thank you for your input. Switching the HU was just something I've considered. Not something I'm for going to do. I'd also thought about the weather protection on the stock HU. Will definitely look into Cicada.