Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Molded in-earphones

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 12:22 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 453 Posts
Default Custom Molded in-earphones

I remember going to a bike show years ago, they had a booth selling custom molded earphones. They poured this foam stuff into the ears, let it set then pulled them out. They would later put the electronics in them and send them to you. They sounded fantastic. they were a bit expensive at the time. ( 300.00 ) bucks, but they lasted. For the life of me i can't remember the name of them. Anyone knows of these or seen these. I want to get a new pair made as i can't find a set these days that sound as good or will stay in my ears.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:40 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

PlugUp? She does custom in-ear monitors, a canal earbud with silicone tips called the S Plug (both available in single or dual speaker per ear), custom molds to hold other earbuds, custom molded filtered plugs (for passive noise cancellation), and more. Great quality and service but fairly expensive. I've purchased in-ear monitors and S Plugs (both in the dual speaker version), as well as the custom-molded filtered plugs.

I find the S Plugs far more comfortable over a long ride than either the custom-molded version or the custom-molded filtered plugs (go figure). They sound great and quiet road noise really well (so well that sometimes I'll use them without listening to music just to keep the road noise level down). I think it's because the custom-molded versions are such a "tight" fit whereas with the S plug the body is very small (fits nicely in the ear canal), the silicone tips seal well, and are very soft.

Last edited by hamah; 01-05-2022 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

silicone ones never work for me, i'm looking for a tight fit

Old 01-05-2022, 10:19 AM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Freak Show
silicone ones never work for me, i'm looking for a tight fit
Well, to each his own. I came across PlugUp at a bike show so thought they were probably the company you were looking for.

PlugUp do make fantastic-sounding custom-fit earbuds. I had my molds done by a local audiologist and sent to PlugUp to make them. I also ordered them with the short cable to plug into the back of my helmet-mounted headset.

BTW the S Plugs can't fall out as they sit inside the ear canal itself. This design also means no pressure at all from the helmet (which is part of the reason they are so comfortable). I think the custom earbuds use S Plug internals so they sound just as good and provide almost as much sound isolation. I initially bought the S Plugs for passenger use but found myself reaching for them instead of the custom-fit ones. I plan to order a single speaker version S Plug for passenger use this spring.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:17 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hamah
Well, to each his own. I came across PlugUp at a bike show so thought they were probably the company you were looking for.

PlugUp do make fantastic-sounding custom-fit earbuds. I had my molds done by a local audiologist and sent to PlugUp to make them. I also ordered them with the short cable to plug into the back of my helmet-mounted headset.

BTW the S Plugs can't fall out as they sit inside the ear canal itself. This design also means no pressure at all from the helmet (which is part of the reason they are so comfortable). I think the custom earbuds use S Plug internals so they sound just as good and provide almost as much sound isolation. I initially bought the S Plugs for passenger use but found myself reaching for them instead of the custom-fit ones. I plan to order a single speaker version S Plug for passenger use this spring.
It can't hurt, i'll give them a shot. I found the company i used before, called BigEar. But just the base model is 399 dollars, they go all the way up to 1500 which is insane

Old 01-05-2022, 11:18 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 01-10-2022, 05:26 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Well if you had an opportunity to buy them for 300 bucks, then you should of, lol. I bought mine which are sensaphonics made through an audiologist local to me, and honestly that is your best bet is find a good audiologist near you and make an appointment. Plugup and all those places are basically audiologist making custom made in ear plugs/monitors etc for you. I've had mine for years and absolutely love them. I paid a little higher for a quality stereo sound etc and I take care of them. They are still going strong. Fact I posted years ago on my set. You get what you pay for I believe with these, so if you go cheap, you will probably just not use or wear them which defeats the purpose. When I ride without them it's amazing how much road noise at 80 will wear you down after a full day riding. When I put them in, I can't hardly hear much unless bluetooth mic is on, picking up outside noise.
https://www.sensaphonics.com/products/2x-s
This was my post back in 17, which I paid 750 at that time through my local audiologist.

You want a good sound with bass, it's gonna cost you, but it'll also save your ears (as long as you don't crank em)
Sensaphonics, hands down you can't beat it, and it does plug into the sena 20s, you just don't use their speakers.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:25 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cactusred
Well if you had an opportunity to buy them for 300 bucks, then you should of, lol. I bought mine which are sensaphonics made through an audiologist local to me, and honestly that is your best bet is find a good audiologist near you and make an appointment. Plugup and all those places are basically audiologist making custom made in ear plugs/monitors etc for you. I've had mine for years and absolutely love them. I paid a little higher for a quality stereo sound etc and I take care of them. They are still going strong. Fact I posted years ago on my set. You get what you pay for I believe with these, so if you go cheap, you will probably just not use or wear them which defeats the purpose. When I ride without them it's amazing how much road noise at 80 will wear you down after a full day riding. When I put them in, I can't hardly hear much unless bluetooth mic is on, picking up outside noise.
https://www.sensaphonics.com/products/2x-s
This was my post back in 17, which I paid 750 at that time through my local audiologist.

You want a good sound with bass, it's gonna cost you, but it'll also save your ears (as long as you don't crank em)
Sensaphonics, hands down you can't beat it, and it does plug into the sena 20s, you just don't use their speakers.

what do they run now. The ones i paid 300 for lasted two years

Old 01-11-2022, 01:25 AM
hamah
Road Warrior

I paid less than $300 for my PlugUp 2-driver custom in-ear monitors over 5 years ago and I think they cost about the same today. They sound great and are still hanging in there. Like I said though, for less money, better all-day comfort, equal SQ, and almost the same amount of noise cancellation I'll take my S Plugs over them any day of the week all day long (literally).

Custom molds done properly by an audiologist are all pretty much the same as long as they fit properly. A good audiologist will tell you that the key to a proper fit is to move the jaw while the mold is setting. The drivers used do make a difference in SQ but I've yet to hear better (all things considered) than the ones used by PlugUp. I've tried some of the best IEMs out there used by pros at 4-5x the cost but for the money the PlugUps can't be beat.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:37 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hamah
I paid less than $300 for my PlugUp 2-driver custom in-ear monitors over 5 years ago and I think they cost about the same today. They sound great and are still hanging in there. Like I said though, for less money, better all-day comfort, equal SQ, and almost the same amount of noise cancellation I'll take my S Plugs over them any day of the week all day long (literally).

Custom molds done properly by an audiologist are all pretty much the same as long as they fit properly. A good audiologist will tell you that the key to a proper fit is to move the jaw while the mold is setting. The drivers used do make a difference in SQ but I've yet to hear better (all things considered) than the ones used by PlugUp. I've tried some of the best IEMs out there used by pros at 4-5x the cost but for the money the PlugUps can't be beat.
Have a link for that?

Quick Reply: Custom Molded in-earphones