Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash with a twist.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 01:49 PM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Flash with a twist.

Ok the players:
2019 Street Glide Special stock HU
Arc Audio 600.4
BT-355 front and rear
Mmats 6.5f and 6x9r
Thundermax tuner

went to have the head unit flashed at a local HD dealer and they were super nice and said bring it in first thing Saturday and we will sneak you in. Great as we are full time RVers and can’t get on someone’s schedule.
Well they took it right back and I saw them take off the left bag and side cover to access the port. I thought they would go into the back of the HU but told it’s all done through the ECU. When I saw the tech bring over another tech I knew it would not be a wham bam. The second tech came to me and asked what I had installed. Told him it was an ARC Audio amp. He said it won’t work and the HU and “stock ecu” won’t see a car audio amp. But the first problem is they can’t get past the Thundermax to get it to even see the HU.

Thoughts? Suggestions? They did ask if I kept my old ECU which I did. They made a solid point that I’d I ever needed to go into the bike for something I would be screwed without it.

Thanks in advance.
Monkey

Old 07-24-2021, 02:32 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Nonsense. The HU nor ECU do not need to "see" the amp. You just want them to flash the HU with a Harley flash for no amps and 4 speakers with those BT355s. There are other flashes (such as Rockford Fosgate) used to flatten the EQ curve with different LoCs or DSPs but you don't want/need them when using the BT355. If the dealer can't figure it out using their Digital Technician you could go to an audio shop that has a TechnoResearch Centurion and get them to do it (Rockford Fosgate has a list of dealers that bought that flasher from them here).

You mention keeping the "stock ECU". Did you swap the ECM for some reason?

Old 07-24-2021, 08:31 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Ok, I reread your post and looked up the Thundermax and think I have a better understanding now. The Thundermax EFI module replaced the Harley ECM which is why the dealer was having trouble. I'd try putting the stock ECM back on the bike, get the HU flashed for no amps/4 speakers, and then put the Thundermax back on the bike. I think that should work but if not you might need to look at a different tuner that works with the stock ECM.

Last edited by hamah; 07-24-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:31 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

The Thundermax unit replaces the factory ECM, while other tuners piggyback the factory ECM.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:23 PM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
The Thundermax unit replaces the factory ECM, while other tuners piggyback the factory ECM.
correct it is a stand alone.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:29 PM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer

Originally Posted by hamah
Ok, I reread your post and looked up the Thundermax and think I have a better understanding now. The Thundermax EFI module replaced the Harley ECM which is why the dealer was having trouble. I'd try putting the stock ECM back on the bike, get the HU flashed for no amps/4 speakers, and then put the Thundermax back on the bike. I think that should work but if not you might need to look at a different tuner that works with the stock ECM.
that might be but I don’t think I’ll take it back to them as he was trying to say even if I had the stock ECU the HU would not see the amp (which I tried to nicely explain) The HU does not see it just flash 0 amp 4 speakers. And he said it still would not see the amp ( head slap). I’m going to wait till Sturgis.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:46 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Yea the dealer is wrong about that. I haven't tried flashing one with a Thundermax, but the Techno Research tool does say it will not work with aftermarket ECU's.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:32 AM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer

Wonder if I should just go Sony HU?

Old 07-25-2021, 01:50 AM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Wonder if I should just go Sony HU?
Well that’s a whole different conversation. You’d need to weigh the pros and cons to make a call.

For me I decided to stay with stock HU for control integration, weather proofing etc. If I was to swap out the GT it would be for the GTS but I can’t justify the spend. Maybe if the GT dies on me one day.

I think you should put the stock ECM back on the bike, get it flashed by a different dealer or someone with the TR unit and then put your Thundermax back on. It’s simple and cheap.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:49 AM
malfvnction
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
that might be but I don’t think I’ll take it back to them as he was trying to say even if I had the stock ECU the HU would not see the amp (which I tried to nicely explain) The HU does not see it just flash 0 amp 4 speakers. And he said it still would not see the amp ( head slap). I’m going to wait till Sturgis.

I am in process of changing my audio and bought the Techno Research Alaris tool to do my own flashes. But since I had Stage II Boom I first had to have the dealer remove that flash since the TR tool advises against flashing over a stage II flash.

When I took to dealer I asked them to flash it to either stock or 8/2. Tech came and got me and brought me back to bike and showed me on the screen that he didn’t have those options enabled because it saw 1 amp. So I had to go with a 2 speaker/1 amp flash. Tech said at some point recently they updated all the Harley Tech tools, and it has removed his ability to flash stuff or make changes to things that are not installed or installed.

The following users liked this post:
Texcuda (07-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Flash with a twist.