Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Install 2020SGS

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 08:59 PM
malfvnction
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

DAY FIVE:

Another quick day. Was able to get new rack test fit, and it is dead on. Got some primer sprayed on it and will paint it tomorrow.

Have whole day to myself tomorrow, so hoping to get a bulk of everything done tomorrow, we will see.

Fits like a glove. Will get it primed and painted and then all the holes tapped and start mounting the amps and distribution blocks and get it all wired up.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:53 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rsking45
Keep posting as you go along. alot if good info so far
2nd wrong person quoted today. That was ment for the op

Old 07-24-2021, 07:41 PM
malfvnction
Cruiser

Day Six:

Had big plans for the day. Was hoping to get rack and components in and everything up front wired up.

Got derailed a little when I broke out the RCA cables to make sure the DSP rack was going to work. The plugs are a little deeper than I assumed. So had to re-drill and tap the Amp mounting holes. Then when mounting the Pods had to redo some of the wiring for my garage and gate openers.

Did get the Dynamat installed on the pods and inside the fairing. The kit from Hogworks is pretty nice. Everything was pre cut. It only has a little hit on the face of the pods, but pretty much covers the entire inner side of the fairing.

Gonna go cut and put ferrules and heat shrink on one end of all the wiring tonight. Hoping to make more progress tomorrow.

Dynamat kit and pods reinstalled. Everything is precut, nice kit.

Rack all bolted down. Few extra holes I wasn’t planning on, but the RCA cable ends were a little bigger than I assumed.

Everything mounted and bolted down. Wiring is next.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:25 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior

Nice work. Keep the pics coming

Old 07-25-2021, 08:15 PM
malfvnction
Cruiser

DAY SEVEN:

So actually felt like I made progress today. Lots of moving forward and no moving back today.

Got all the wiring in the fairing done with the exception of the amp remote on wires. Only had 14ga wire in hand, and not sure I can get that in and bent around where in need it on the back of the amp. Also dry fit and planned how all the wiring will be buttoned up and stowed away. Going to leave the speaker wires fairly loose for the moment at the amp, since at some point I will have to disconnect the speakers again to set amp gains.

The next few days I want to get the Dynamat in the bags, and the lids swapped out and speakers installed. Then just have the wiring in my battery area to figure out and straighten up, then on to setting gains and dialing in the DSP.

I got a really shitty message about why it is taking so long. Short answer, I am trying to be thorough and I am not a pro, but more importantly, it is freaking hot here. Temps have been in the 100-110’s plus, and no a/c in the garage. So a few hours tops is usually all I can handle, and the pace is slow.

Happy with the DSP mount. Clears the fairing, and actually gives a nice spot to tuck wires behind.

Semi-pro tip, loosen all the little set screws on the amp before you mount it and start connecting wires. Each amp had one screw that was driven so far in I couldn’t get them loose, and being only a 2mm Allen, I was worried about putting too much pressure on them. End up cutting an Allen wrench and using vise grips with it and very slow and steady pressure with I little shot of WD-40. Once they moved about a 1/2 turn, they were loose enough to come out.

All wired up. Tuck it all up, zip tie and secure and front end will be done.

The following users liked this post:
zigyblu (08-12-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 09:35 PM
malfvnction
Cruiser

DAY EIGHT:

Spent the little time I had this afternoon and worked on getting all the wiring cleaned up and routed cleanly.

Got all the Harley cables tucked back and zip tied up. Wrapping all the audio cabling in wear resistant covering and zip tying it down.

The top looks pretty clean IMO.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:52 PM
onecoolpilot
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by malfvnction
DAY SEVEN:

I got a really shitty message about why it is taking so long. Short answer, I am trying to be thorough and I am not a pro, but more importantly, it is freaking hot here. Temps have been in the 100-110’s plus, and no a/c in the garage. So a few hours tops is usually all I can handle, and the pace is slow.
Sorry that happened man, some people have no manners. I for one am loving the play by play, and I'll stick around for as long as it takes to see the final product. Thank you for taking the time to document this so well. I'm sure it multiplies the time you spend out in the hot garage. Just know it IS appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
zigyblu (08-12-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=malfvnction;20075563]DAY SEVEN:

I got a really shitty message about why it is taking so long.

Pay no attention to that jack#ss. Keep doing what your doing. Looks great .

Old 07-27-2021, 09:08 AM
malfvnction
Cruiser

A few people have asked for a drawing of the amp rack I made. At first I thought "Hey, maybe I can make a few bucks selling these", as running a fabrication shop I know what is being made out there is a little overpriced, but you are paying for their time to come up with a design, prove it out, and then take the responsibility of selling and marketing it. And realistically, I don't have time for that, for the few bucks I might make. So what I have decided to do is just share the base SolidWorks file that I created to make mine.

Use at your own risk and for your own use. I work in SolidWorks2021, and that is the version of the file. I have also saved it as a generic .sat file.

This is all I am offering. I won't convert, modify, make.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Amp Rack.zip (768.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:03 AM
mcdc1224
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 94 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by malfvnction
A few people have asked for a drawing of the amp rack I made. At first I thought "Hey, maybe I can make a few bucks selling these", as running a fabrication shop I know what is being made out there is a little overpriced, but you are paying for their time to come up with a design, prove it out, and then take the responsibility of selling and marketing it. And realistically, I don't have time for that, for the few bucks I might make. So what I have decided to do is just share the base SolidWorks file that I created to make mine.

Use at your own risk and for your own use. I work in SolidWorks2021, and that is the version of the file. I have also saved it as a generic .sat file.

This is all I am offering. I won't convert, modify, make.
Good deal!!

Quick Reply: Audio Install 2020SGS