Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best plug and play stereo for EGS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 12:29 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Best plug and play stereo for EGS?

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to buy a Harley Electra Glide Standard. Was going to get a Street Glide but looking to save money. Plus im really digging the Classic look of the Electra Glide.

What's the best plug and play stereo and speakers. I know there's the Sony xav-ax7000 combo at Fatheads. I don't know if I'm totally sold on that being that it's not technically fully water proof. Plus they are out of stock on a lot of stuff and from what I hear even if it says in stock it's talking forever to get.

Anything from Rockford Fosgate a direct plug in? Or anything else?

Also would love to find the lowest cost set up.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:04 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Why not opt for an electra glide and have the stock radio added.

Sony radios are great, but you have to worry about water intrusion. You can so some things like add a cover over the face and even add some kid of wrapping over the back of the unit. But boom radios are water proof and warrantied as well.

And there's really no such thing as plug and play. You still have to run power and ground cables for amps, and speaker wires for speakers.

How much is the cost difference in a street glide and an EG. I think I would consider that before making a decision. You can get a SG and then replace the crappy boom speakers with a good amp and speakers for fairly cheap. Especially if its just a two speaker set up.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:38 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Why not opt for an electra glide and have the stock radio added.

Sony radios are great, but you have to worry about water intrusion. You can so some things like add a cover over the face and even add some kid of wrapping over the back of the unit. But boom radios are water proof and warrantied as well.

And there's really no such thing as plug and play. You still have to run power and ground cables for amps, and speaker wires for speakers.

How much is the cost difference in a street glide and an EG. I think I would consider that before making a decision. You can get a SG and then replace the crappy boom speakers with a good amp and speakers for fairly cheap. Especially if its just a two speaker set up.
How much is the stock radio? I thought it was like $1,800+ not including speakers? That's crazy. If I went that router I mise well buy the Street Glide.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:13 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Thats what I was getting at....the cost difference of the street glide and all you get, might wind up not being that much.

Sure you can go the SOny xav7000 radio route, but its 500+ and not sure if the EG comes with hand controls? If so it will work I think. Someone else that has one could confirm all that.

The following users liked this post:
smittyrock3 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 01:20 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Thats what I was getting at....the cost difference of the street glide and all you get, might wind up not being that much.

Sure you can go the SOny xav7000 radio route, but its 500+ and not sure if the EG comes with hand controls? If so it will work I think. Someone else that has one could confirm all that.
Local indy shop just quoted me $750 for a Jensen system with Bluetooth 55 watts per 4 channel with 2 kicker Speakers installed.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:23 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't jump the gun......let someone more knowledgeable comment. I don't see a lot of guys here recommending the jensen radio. and I certainly don't see anyone recommending kicker speakers on bikes. lol

The following users liked this post:
16_Tri-Glide (07-08-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 01:47 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,743 Likes on 4,243 Posts

you want sound and you are looking for the most affordable way to get it, I think you found it

my only shade is this....I had a Boom Stage II and while riding, it was not enough....i put two grand into an upgrade and I'm happy

I'm afraid that you may be pissing into a bonfire with that little wattage, i'd hold off, save some dollars and have a decent head unit, amp, and speakers installed in the fairing

keep an eye open in many directions and you may find a used GT or GTS head unit, that really is your best bet imho....sometimes folks sell the sony 7000's as well used

Old 07-07-2021, 03:52 PM
smittyrock3
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would see what the difference is for the monthly note. MSRP on the Electra Glide Standard is 18,999 while the Street Glide is 21,999 and for the most part they are the exact same bike. I just picked up a 21 Road Glide for a steal and I think the new Boom GTS is as about as nice a factory radio as you're going to find especially since it's waterproof. Going the Street Glide route you only have to upgrade speakers and add an amp or amps. Go the Electra Glide route you have to add a head unit, speakers and you will probably go ahead and do an amp later. That 55 watts probably won't cut it at highway speeds depending on how loud and clear you want your music.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:04 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
you want sound and you are looking for the most affordable way to get it, I think you found it

my only shade is this....I had a Boom Stage II and while riding, it was not enough....i put two grand into an upgrade and I'm happy

I'm afraid that you may be pissing into a bonfire with that little wattage, i'd hold off, save some dollars and have a decent head unit, amp, and speakers installed in the fairing

keep an eye open in many directions and you may find a used GT or GTS head unit, that really is your best bet imho....sometimes folks sell the sony 7000's as well used
My logic is this. I'm not really buying my next touring bike for sound. Mainly getting my new one for the fairing. I'm coming from a 2018 Road King Special. I was going going to go the Street Glide route but the more I thought about it the Electra Glide Standards price seems more appealing to me. Especially when you consider the upgrades I'd add down the road like stereo, seat, exhaust ect.. people also change on the Street Glide as well. I'd rather start $3k cheaper. Especially since the stereo system really isn't that important to me.

Now down the road if I ever want to go ***** crazy on an insane stereo system then the EGS is the ticket IMO since wont have to throw away a factory stereo like I would with the Street Glide.

Either way the I haven't fully made up my mind yet. But I do know I really like the $18,999 price of the EGS. But if go that route I'd most likely take your advise and take my time shopping for a stereo system since I'm not in a hurry for one..

Old 07-07-2021, 05:10 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,665 Likes on 990 Posts

Had the same train of thought as you, never owned a bike that had music til I bought my Street Glide. Even affter a few dozen outtings on it never even turned on the radio. Then WHAMO! One day the bride says lets listen to some music. We did, it was like crack, we've been upgrading it since trying to get more! Just added lid speakers last week!

Quick Reply: Best plug and play stereo for EGS?