Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS CarPlay without headset

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021 | 04:39 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member
Default GTS CarPlay without headset

Is there a way to get my CarPlay to work without using my headset but still keep the ability to use my headset when I want/need? I know there is a plug that mimics having a headset plugged in, but I do not think that would work for my applications.

Old 06-19-2021 | 04:36 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Could you please share a little more. Are you using an apple or android phone - so, apple car play or android auto.

I am using AA - and, I can use my system without the use of my headsets - I simply play through my speakers.

I have read on here that in order to use carplay, you need either the WHIM or the jumper. Plus, I understand that once you use the WHIM, your wired headsets no longer work. I am not able to verify this as this is not what I am using.

I do find it odd that once you add the WHIM, the wired is disabled. Not everyone wants to be wireless

The following users liked this post:
Airborne350G (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021 | 04:55 PM
soonerp
Cruiser

The purpose of the whim is to go wireless. If your wired the dealer flashes the system. You don’t have to remove the whim. I use an iPhone 7 my buddy uses iPhone 12. No whims installed jumper works just fine. One other buddy use the iPhone se put in jumper but had to dealer flash so the bike didn’t see the whim before his would work. The jumper we use was $20 bucks on eBay.

Old 06-19-2021 | 07:24 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Could you please share a little more. Are you using an apple or android phone - so, apple car play or android auto.

I am using AA - and, I can use my system without the use of my headsets - I simply play through my speakers.

I have read on here that in order to use carplay, you need either the WHIM or the jumper. Plus, I understand that once you use the WHIM, your wired headsets no longer work. I am not able to verify this as this is not what I am using.

I do find it odd that once you add the WHIM, the wired is disabled. Not everyone wants to be wireless
I’m using apple CarPlay. The dealer enabled WHIM and when he did the CarPlay no longer recognized my microphone in my wired headsets. The headset still worked with the H-D portion of the GTS radio. So he then disabled the WHIM option and CarPlay now works with the wired headsets. So if I do install the WHIM I would not be able to use my old wired headsets with CarPlay. The reason you need to have a microphone is because of the deal between Apple and H-D that there has to be a microphone in order for the CarPlay to work. I saw the jumper that enables CarPlay without a headset. I cannot remember but I do believe that there is something already plugged into that grey plug on my Road Glide Ultra CVO.

Old 06-19-2021 | 07:26 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by soonerp
The purpose of the whim is to go wireless. If your wired the dealer flashes the system. You don’t have to remove the whim. I use an iPhone 7 my buddy uses iPhone 12. No whims installed jumper works just fine. One other buddy use the iPhone se put in jumper but had to dealer flash so the bike didn’t see the whim before his would work. The jumper we use was $20 bucks on eBay.
Does your buddy have an Ultra that has intercom and such? I think that grey plug the jumper plugs into is already taken with the headset wiring for rider to passenger to radio.

Old 06-19-2021 | 09:30 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
I’m using apple CarPlay. The dealer enabled WHIM and when he did the CarPlay no longer recognized my microphone in my wired headsets. The headset still worked with the H-D portion of the GTS radio. So he then disabled the WHIM option and CarPlay now works with the wired headsets. So if I do install the WHIM I would not be able to use my old wired headsets with CarPlay. The reason you need to have a microphone is because of the deal between Apple and H-D that there has to be a microphone in order for the CarPlay to work. I saw the jumper that enables CarPlay without a headset. I cannot remember but I do believe that there is something already plugged into that grey plug on my Road Glide Ultra CVO.
I'm in the same situation and unfortunately you have to make a choice as both the jumper & wired headset will not work together. The jumper & the Whim plug into the same plug so either the Whim is plugged in and you go wireless, or the jumper gets plugged in and you get CarPlay without a mic but renders the wired headset unusable.

I'm currently playing with the jumper to try and wire it with a switch inline so when switched on it completes the circuit and it thinks there is a mic and CarPlay works, but when I want to use my wired headset for CB, click the switch off to break the circuit so it doesn't recognize the jumper plugged in. If it works then I can use longer wires to the jumper and mount the switch somewhere convenient.

Old 06-20-2021 | 11:19 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

All interesting. Carplay does not work without WHIM or a jumper. AA works without either.

Wonder if Harley is trying t force you to go wireless or, if Apple wants more money from Harley (or both). I invested in a Cardo Packtalk Bold and, also kept my wired helmets. This way, I can switch back and forth.

Am also curious - anyone with a 21 bike had a CB I keep hearing that the CB and switch pack are not available.

Old 06-21-2021 | 07:13 AM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by cycle7447
All interesting. Carplay does not work without WHIM or a jumper. AA works without either.

Wonder if Harley is trying t force you to go wireless or, if Apple wants more money from Harley (or both). I invested in a Cardo Packtalk Bold and, also kept my wired helmets. This way, I can switch back and forth.

Am also curious - anyone with a 21 bike had a CB I keep hearing that the CB and switch pack are not available.
The CarPlay will work with wired headset if the GTS is set up properly. It is Apple being a nanny and making sure you use it hands free with a microphone. Android does not treat their customers like children. I wonder if a jumper could be made that plugs into the 7 pin connector on the console and trick the GTS into thinking a microphone is connected and CarPlay work?

Old 06-21-2021 | 06:46 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
I wonder if a jumper could be made that plugs into the 7 pin connector on the console and trick the GTS into thinking a microphone is connected and CarPlay work?
Looks like there is a version to plug into the 7 pin connector on ebay. $75 is steep and it looks like a crap job but if you know what the pinout is for the connector that goes inside the fairing it shouldn't be hard to make your own.

This is the pinout on the 7 pin side. What's the pins used on the jumper?

EDIT: That "hack" connector looks like it goes to the P&A Audio connector (connector 280) in the fairing. I'm not sure but it looks like the "hack" plug shorts pins 2&3 which would be the rear mic + and mic -. If that's the case then a 7 pin DIN plug shorting those pins should work and could easily be removed if plugging in a wired headset. From the diagram above that would be pin 4 to pin 1

Last edited by hamah; 06-21-2021 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Adding Info
Old 07-01-2021 | 11:41 AM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

Tried the shorting of the plug with pin 1 to 4 and got nothing, CarPlay wouldn’t work. I was really hoping that it would.

Quick Reply: GTS CarPlay without headset