Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS CarPlay without headset

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021 | 11:59 AM
mcdc1224
Road Captain
Old 07-01-2021 | 04:08 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hamah
I'm not sure but it looks like the "hack" plug shorts pins 2&3 which would be the rear mic + and mic -. If that's the case then a 7 pin DIN plug shorting those pins should work and could easily be removed if plugging in a wired headset. From the diagram above that would be pin 4 to pin 1
Originally Posted by Airborne350G
Tried the shorting of the plug with pin 1 to 4 and got nothing, CarPlay wouldn’t work. I was really hoping that it would.
This would make sense...the trick is figuring out the correct terminals. I can't find it right quick but I know there were some that posted here how they made a jumper for the rear/passenger headset mic. It was tapped into the wiring under the seat.

Old 07-01-2021 | 04:40 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lefty33
This would make sense...the trick is figuring out the correct terminals. I can't find it right quick but I know there were some that posted here how they made a jumper for the rear/passenger headset mic. It was tapped into the wiring under the seat.
yes, verifying the pins shorted and the connector it plugs into. I don't have the GTS so I'm not much help in testing/troubleshooting (outside of reading the wiring diagrams and making suggestions) but I'll help if I can.

Old 07-01-2021 | 05:10 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

Here is the plug I have. I have found which wire is for pin 1( black) and pin 4 (red). Jumping those two does not trick the system into thinking there is a mic connected.

Old 07-01-2021 | 05:39 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Is there a way to get my CarPlay to work without using my headset but still keep the ability to use my headset when I want/need? I know there is a plug that mimics having a headset plugged in, but I do not think that would work for my applications.
yes there is a jumper that makes it work without a headset, and what do you mean you want to use your headset? without a WHIM you cant connect the headset to the bike anyway so ya you can do whatever you want to with the headset, as the bike and headset will be separate anyway, the jumper is like 25 bucks you can do the same thing with a female spade connector, heres a picture of the 2 pins you need to connect, just be aware carplay wont be voice command, touch screen only.
here's the jumper
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-01-2021 | 05:52 PM
Airborne350G
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by mikes300
yes there is a jumper that makes it work without a headset, and what do you mean you want to use your headset? without a WHIM you cant connect the headset to the bike anyway so ya you can do whatever you want to with the headset, as the bike and headset will be separate anyway, the jumper is like 25 bucks you can do the same thing with a female spade connector, heres a picture of the 2 pins you need to connect, just be aware carplay wont be voice command, touch screen only.
here's the jumper https://www.amazon.com/CarPlay-Jumpe...96481244&psc=1
I do not have a WHIM, I have wired headsets. CarPlay works fine when utilizing the wired headsets. But I want a way to trick the system into thinking it has a wired headset plugged in when I am not wearing the helmet with the headset and CarPlay still work. So if I use that plug will my wired headset still work when I need to use them? No one seems to know. Also what is normally plugged into the plug? Is that where the WHIM plugs into? I should have looked at mine better when I had the fairing off and saw what was there.

Old 07-01-2021 | 06:04 PM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mikes300
here's the jumper https://www.amazon.com/CarPlay-Jumpe...96481244&psc=1
I think he means he'd like to have CarPlay work without having his wired headset plugged in but, when he does want to, he'd like to be able to use a wired headset. Using the jumper plug would mean having to get inside the fairing and remove the plug and replug in the harness going to the headset connectors when he wanted to use a wired headset.

I know there is a 7 pin DIN plug available on ebay to plug into the wired headset jack but it was $75 and looked like crap. I figured that if jumpers (like the one you linked to on Amazon) plug into the P&A Audio connector in the fairing (connector 280) then it should be fairly easy to rig up a 7 pin DIN plug that would be easily removed when you want to use a headset or inserted when you didn't but still wanted CarPlay. I'm just not 100% sure of the pinout. If you look at this Boom! Audio Music and Communications "kit" it's just a harness that goes from connector 280 to a 7 pin DIN jack so I think this should be possible to do.

From that ebay listing for the plug here is a
showing what I think he's trying to do (again this just does on the 7 pin DIN end what the other jumper is doing on the Molex MX150 (connector 280) end.

Last edited by hamah; 07-01-2021 at 06:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Airborne350G (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021 | 06:30 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

I do not have a WHIM, I have wired headsets. CarPlay works fine when utilizing the wired headsets. But I want a way to trick the system into thinking it has a wired headset plugged in when I am not wearing the helmet with the headset and CarPlay still work. So if I use that plug will my wired headset still work when I need to use them? No one seems to know. Also what is normally plugged into the plug? Is that where the WHIM plugs into? I should have looked at mine better when I had the fairing off and saw what was there.
AH LOL i know nothing about a wired setup, its 2021!! LOL

PS i have a WHIM, it works flawless, its a25K bike spend the extra bucks and do it right lol

Old 07-01-2021 | 06:39 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

So wire a toggle switch to those two pins instead of the jumper, and then you can toggle the connection off and on when you need.

Old 07-01-2021 | 07:20 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Here's one of the threads re jumping the DIN connector. It's a long one but first mentioned in post #15 (then the guy never came back), but then picks up again with what another member actually did starting at post #288

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...play-hack.html

I know there's another one where a member actually made the jumper in the wiring, under the seat...just haven't found it yet.

The following users liked this post:
Airborne350G (07-01-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS CarPlay without headset