Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carplay2Air now works on Boom GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Carplay2Air now works on Boom GTS

I've had the wireless adapter for over a year on my 2019 Edge ST,
When I purchased it I asked for HD support. They were supposed to email me when/if it was ever supported but they never did. I went to the website today to find out they do support GTS now. I updated it and it does work. You still need the WHIM or a wired headset hooked up (or a flash to have it work without it)

https://cplay2air.com

Smitty

Old 06-11-2021, 05:33 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I didn't see the listing for 2019-2021 Harley until I just looked now. I have been using one on my 2020 Jeep Cherokee for almost a year now and it works most of the time. Occasionally I have to turn off the car a couple of times and wait a bit before starting up again before it makes connection, but for the most part it works. Kinda pissed that the new Jeeps (and some other car companies) no longer have a built-in GPS and have to use Carplay.

A few days ago I got the email announcing the $99 price deal (down from $159) so I ordered one to try on my 2019 Triglide. Your post gives me hope!

Old 06-11-2021, 05:40 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
I didn't see the listing for 2019-2021 Harley until I just looked now. I have been using one on my 2020 Jeep Cherokee for almost a year now and it works most of the time. Occasionally I have to turn off the car a couple of times and wait a bit before starting up again before it makes connection, but for the most part it works. Kinda pissed that the new Jeeps (and some other car companies) no longer have a built-in GPS and have to use Carplay.

A few days ago I got the email announcing the $99 price deal (down from $159) so I ordered one to try on my 2019 Triglide. Your post gives me hope!
It works pretty good. There were about 5 updates I had to do on it which included several bug fixes for connecting. It did work several times I tried on my bike

Smitty

Old 06-22-2021, 06:35 PM
SigPiLocal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plugged mine in and just got a no media found message!

Old 06-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SigPiLocal
I plugged mine in and just got a no media found message!
Did you do all the latest updates? there were several. After every update, you had to check again and it would install then repeat until it was all up to date. it took about 20 minutes to complete
It is a little buggy. I did email them about some of the quirks I've experienced (It sometimes disables my headset and you need to go in and enable it again) If you don't it will try to read it as a USB media connection and say No media present. One other thing, You definitely need to have your headset on before you start the bike up. Unfortunately Harley itself makes it quirky to boot up with a wire connecting the phone.

Smitty

Old 08-04-2021, 01:24 PM
Cruisin1966
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

I know this is about a month old, but can someone explain in clear English how to get the unit to update. In the FAQ it states:

Connect your phone to the adapter and wait until CarPlay appears on the screen.
Enter 192.168.50.2 in your browser and click “Go.”
If you see an update available, click it.
Wait until the update bar reaches 100%.
When CarPlay reappears on the screen, you’re done
Does this work with the CPlay2Air connected to the motorcycle, even though the "no media found" message is displayed?

I managed to update the unit using my Ram 1500, but I still get the "no media found" on my 2021 Road Glide Limited. Am I in need of the CarPlay Jumper (https://www.67offroadllc.com/) to make this work on the motorcycle?

Old 08-04-2021, 03:54 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

I did the update exactly like the instructions say...turned the bike on and ignored the bike, then on the phone went to the web address and checked for updates.
Did you get it to pair with your phone and can you see it in "My Devices" in your phone's Bluetooth settings? You'll want it paired first. Also each time it connects to your bike/car, it initially connects via bluetooth, then switched over to wifi to communicate the rest of the time... so be sure Bluetooth and WIFI are both enabled.

Few Questions...
Do you have WHIM?
When trying to get this installed on your bike, do you have a headset plugged in or connected (WHIM)?
Finally, are you able to get CarPlay to show up on the GTS if you plug your phone into the USB and plug in/connect a headset?

The only time I get the "no media found" is if I didn't have a headset connected and tried doing this wireless module. I have a 2016 RGU with the GTS and without WHIM. Up until last weekend I was using the old "hack" to do CarPlay without a headset, and it works even with this module too... but I replaced my BCM for some other upgrades I was doing (adding HD's TPMS) and when I got the bike back from the dealer my CarPlay was jacked up... because they can't do that hack anymore. I started getting the "no media found" message unless I had a headset plugged in. Luckily I was able to hook Diag4Bike up and do the hack with it (enable whim and disable CarPlay mic) and all is well again. CarPlay works without plugging the phone into the USB (the module is plugged into the usb) and without plugging in a headset, unless I want to take calls, or tell it to send a text, or whatever...
So unless you have this hack done, or are using the mic pin shorting hack (like the one you posted a link to), you have to have a mic (headset) connected... like in your truck, there's a mic.

If you do not have WHIM and are trying to get CarPlay to work without a headset, I would try to find an Indy or someone you know that has Diag4Bike and see if they can tinker with those 2 settings under "Radio Customizations", or you can do that connector thing you found... But first connect a headset to get it working, to be sure you have the connectivity issue straightened out.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-04-2021 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:57 PM
Cruisin1966
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

No WHIM
Headset plug/cable has been removed, currently have an Advanblack tank console cover installed.
If I plug the phone into the bike via the cable in USB port, no CarPlay.

Yup, must be the lack of mic. I'll look into the jumper to get around this issue.

The following users liked this post:
Ssitruc (08-04-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:38 PM
Old Sport
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,389 Likes on 618 Posts

Got one in the truck. Love it. Adding to the bike.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:10 PM
Andrew Clark
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
I did the update exactly like the instructions say...turned the bike on and ignored the bike, then on the phone went to the web address and checked for updates.
Did you get it to pair with your phone and can you see it in "My Devices" in your phone's Bluetooth settings? You'll want it paired first. Also each time it connects to your bike/car, it initially connects via bluetooth, then switched over to wifi to communicate the rest of the time... so be sure Bluetooth and WIFI are both enabled.

Few Questions...
Do you have WHIM?
When trying to get this installed on your bike, do you have a headset plugged in or connected (WHIM)?
Finally, are you able to get CarPlay to show up on the GTS if you plug your phone into the USB and plug in/connect a headset?

The only time I get the "no media found" is if I didn't have a headset connected and tried doing this wireless module. I have a 2016 RGU with the GTS and without WHIM. Up until last weekend I was using the old "hack" to do CarPlay without a headset, and it works even with this module too... but I replaced my BCM for some other upgrades I was doing (adding HD's TPMS) and when I got the bike back from the dealer my CarPlay was jacked up... because they can't do that hack anymore. I started getting the "no media found" message unless I had a headset plugged in. Luckily I was able to hook Diag4Bike up and do the hack with it (enable whim and disable CarPlay mic) and all is well again. CarPlay works without plugging the phone into the USB (the module is plugged into the usb) and without plugging in a headset, unless I want to take calls, or tell it to send a text, or whatever...
So unless you have this hack done, or are using the mic pin shorting hack (like the one you posted a link to), you have to have a mic (headset) connected... like in your truck, there's a mic.

If you do not have WHIM and are trying to get CarPlay to work without a headset, I would try to find an Indy or someone you know that has Diag4Bike and see if they can tinker with those 2 settings under "Radio Customizations", or you can do that connector thing you found... But first connect a headset to get it working, to be sure you have the connectivity issue straightened out.
Can I ask where you acquired diag4bike? What setup you have and what is needed?

Quick Reply: Carplay2Air now works on Boom GTS