Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground for Amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 08:55 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I just don't trust a ground connection being made through a set of head steering bearings.
understood, but so you know that's not how grounds in the fairing (or on any front end) work

Last edited by hamah; 06-12-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:26 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
that's not how grounds in the fairing (or on any front end) work
Since we are all self proclaimed electrical engineers and also bike builders let's try the cave man approach. When you purchase a motorcycle specific amp wiring kit, why in the world would those clowns (actual electrical engineers in the sled industry) provide ground wiring that is the same size and same length as the power wiring? Is it a free bonus 5 feet of wire that we can use at a later date?

OP, do your own research outside this forum regarding sled audio amp grounding as it's a topic that always run directly into the deep weeds. And if you are really bored go back and search all the amp/audio troubleshooting interweb posts that end up being sourced directly to substandard grounding practices.

T

The following users liked this post:
ProgMan (06-17-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 09:48 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfmiester
that was my thinking. why cant we ground to the amp tray. No ground due to the steering colunm?
I will run the modified ground to the battery to keep in line with the instructions.
Can someone please tell me why there is not a better ground for the front end?!?!
You should never ground your amp on the amp tray or anywhere in the fairing. As hamah mentioned he grounds his to his HU...his words not mine...that's probably the worst advice he's ever given. You have 2 grounding points for your amp period. 1-the battery 2-the ground post on the frame directly in front of the battery.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:52 AM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SBates08
You should never ground your amp on the amp tray or anywhere in the fairing. As hamah mentioned he grounds his to his HU...his words not mine...that's probably the worst advice he's ever given. You have 2 grounding points for your amp period. 1-the battery 2-the ground post on the frame directly in front of the battery.
Yes, that's where I ground mine. I know how it works and I know this will work fine for me. I think if I was building some of the setups you guys use I'd beef up the ground strap AND put a distribution block somewhere on the frame (likely where the ground strap meets the frame but that would depend on space). I'd NEVER ground to the battery directly...but that's me. You do you.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:57 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Yes, that's where I ground mine. I know how it works and I know this will work fine for me. I think if I was building some of the setups you guys use I'd beef up the ground strap AND put a distribution block somewhere on the frame (likely where the ground strap meets the frame but that would depend on space). I'd NEVER ground to the battery directly...but that's me. You do you.
As this has already thoroughly debated on both sides of the argument...you do you. We can always count on you to show up and dispute ground choices.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:58 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I posted a 5 paragraph explanation of why grounding a sled anywhere other than the battery is a terrible idea months ago trying to help Hanna understand this so he’d quit giving bum scoop every time this comes up.

Arguing with him is pointless at this point and I’m sure he’s gonna regurgitate some stupidity about the main fuse or the wire from the stator or the starter or some other crap that doesn’t pertain to a high current load being drawn by an amplifier.

The best advice I can give at this point is the use his posts comic relief and follow the advice of those who’ve done this enough to know better. Ground to the battery, enjoy.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:01 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Might need more contact information for lawsuit when people listen to this non-sense.. Oh- yes "kindler and gentler forums" good job slugger!

Juice

Old 06-12-2021, 10:02 AM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Since we are all self proclaimed electrical engineers and also bike builders let's try the cave man approach. When you purchase a motorcycle specific amp wiring kit, why in the world would those clowns (actual electrical engineers in the sled industry) provide ground wiring that is the same size and same length as the power wiring? Is it a free bonus 5 feet of wire that we can use at a later date?

OP, do your own research outside this forum regarding sled audio amp grounding as it's a topic that always run directly into the deep weeds. And if you are really bored go back and search all the amp/audio troubleshooting interweb posts that end up being sourced directly to substandard grounding practices.

T
T, you're right on here. Peeps should do there own research. In my post to DSM Ltd. I was only saying that grounds in the front end do not go through the steering head bearing. There is a ground strap from the outer steer tube to the frame directly that provides a good solid ground for circuits in the front (fairing equipped bike or not) but as I also mentioned earlier it might not be able to carry the load of your setup without some beefing up.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:05 AM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Juice
Might need more contact information for lawsuit when people listen to this non-sense.. Oh- yes "kindler and gentler forums" good job slugger!

Juice
Great advice there Juice. You should follow it.

and now that the rest of the tagalongs have arrived I'll step back out.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:06 AM
Wolfmiester
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Reading about the ground point on the frame got me to thinking. Is there much advantage to beefing up the ground wire going from the battery to the frame on pre-Rushmore bikes if we already have everything going straight to the battery?
I have seen a rather old video where one installed placed ALL extra/aux wires at the frame ground. He beefed up the ground wire to the Battery and everything looked really clean.
I just wish there was a little more room to put an aux fuse panel to add those in-line fuse wires.

Quick Reply: Ground for Amp