Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to wire pod lowers speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 01:18 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwillie
thank you for your help. . ok i understand about using the rca cables to power the lower speakers, i do have 2 new sets of RF 6.5 150watt max should i swap these for somthing else like the ground zero? the GZ are cheaper than the RF i bought .

i currently have the RF HU installed, i pull the J&M out of the fairing add 4 speakers 2 in fairing and 2 in lowers. the RF i have will do? or should i get the GZ? after i get all this together i will go bigger on the amp. does this sound like a decent plan? i dont have to have the best ,but my budget is whatever if you say i need better in the lowers then thats what i want to do.
could you explain how i am pushing more power to the fronts than the lowers, i want to fix that, regards
In regards to pushing more power to the J&M speakers in your fairing than the speakers in the lowers that is just based off of the specs on your existing amplifier. At a two ohm load it is rated at 100 watts per channel, at a four ohm load it is rated at 50 watts per channel. If I recall correctly J&M states on their website that those speakers are two ohms impedance. You can double check to be sure I may have seen the wrong specs. If you put standard four ohm impedance speakers in your lowers that would mean your fairing would play much louder than the lowers.

If the J&M speakers are definitely two ohms and you have four sets of the RF 6.5s on hand I would be tempted to just install the RF speakers and amp with the plan to upgrade later. That way you could get some experience wiring things up and get your trial and error out of the way so to speak. At just 50 watts each they ain't gonna be very loud but they will play. This way if you make a mistake it is not going to fry some shiny new expensive gear.

If you get all that installed and tweaked then make a game plan for upgrading the amp and speakers. If you don't want to upgrade the amp and speakers at the same time I'd say upgrade the amp first since it is going to be the weakest link. Later as money allows carefully choose the replacement speakers you want.

Just some food for thought. Most of us don't really know what we like until we try a few different combinations.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:51 PM
mcdc1224
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 94 Posts

"Just some food for thought. Most of us don't really know what we like until we try a few different combinations" Now that is so true!!

Old 06-08-2021, 04:07 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,587 Likes on 3,244 Posts

Hoyt, you have the patience of Job!!

I commend you Sir!

The following users liked this post:
teedoff65 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 04:15 PM
mcdc1224
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Hoyt, you have the patience of Job!!

I commend you Sir!
He has my vote!!!!!

Old 06-08-2021, 06:41 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
In regards to pushing more power to the J&M speakers in your fairing than the speakers in the lowers that is just based off of the specs on your existing amplifier. At a two ohm load it is rated at 100 watts per channel, at a four ohm load it is rated at 50 watts per channel. If I recall correctly J&M states on their website that those speakers are two ohms impedance. You can double check to be sure I may have seen the wrong specs. If you put standard four ohm impedance speakers in your lowers that would mean your fairing would play much louder than the lowers.

If the J&M speakers are definitely two ohms and you have four sets of the RF 6.5s on hand I would be tempted to just install the RF speakers and amp with the plan to upgrade later. That way you could get some experience wiring things up and get your trial and error out of the way so to speak. At just 50 watts each they ain't gonna be very loud but they will play. This way if you make a mistake it is not going to fry some shiny new expensive gear.

If you get all that installed and tweaked then make a game plan for upgrading the amp and speakers. If you don't want to upgrade the amp and speakers at the same time I'd say upgrade the amp first since it is going to be the weakest link. Later as money allows carefully choose the replacement speakers you want.

Just some food for thought. Most of us don't really know what we like until we try a few different combinations.
thanks a lot for your help, the amp is a couple years old so no returning it, when i upgrade ill save it for another truck project or something. i also already have the rf speakers i could return those and buy a larger amp and 2ohm speakers. i completely understand now, so thanks for that, i am waiting for the hawg grills to show up and i will install the pods, give me time to think about if i want to go with what i got or replace everything except the head unit.. thanks