Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New audio set up killed Fm/Am

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 02:37 PM
Ed D
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New audio set up killed Fm/Am

I’m sorry if this information is already in the forum …I have not been able to find it.

2017 road glide

i followed one of the popular audio set ups from this forum. (Some great advice here btw)
Stinger amp, BT line levelers, Mmats in the faring, RF Bag lid speakers.

My bike has the hidden antenna that is under the faring powered by 12 V.

With the new set up I get near zero radio reception. The majority of my music comes directly from my iPhone, however it would be nice to have some FM reception.

I used the same 12V ignition driven “spare” power wire inside the faring to power the blue enable or signal wire on the amp.

Is it the amplifier itself killing radio reception or is it simply the blue enable wire sharing the same power source as the antenna?
could I switch to a stubby fender mounted antenna and scrap the under faring antenna or is there a filter or another power source I should connect to?”

thanks in advance
EdD

Old 05-10-2021, 02:48 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed D
I’m sorry if this information is already in the forum …I have not been able to find it.

2017 road glide

i followed one of the popular audio set ups from this forum. (Some great advice here btw)
Stinger amp, BT line levelers, Mmats in the faring, RF Bag lid speakers.

My bike has the hidden antenna that is under the faring powered by 12 V.

With the new set up I get near zero radio reception. The majority of my music comes directly from my iPhone, however it would be nice to have some FM reception.

I used the same 12V ignition driven “spare” power wire inside the faring to power the blue enable or signal wire on the amp.

Is it the amplifier itself killing radio reception or is it simply the blue enable wire sharing the same power source as the antenna?
could I switch to a stubby fender mounted antenna and scrap the under faring antenna or is there a filter or another power source I should connect to?”

thanks in advance
EdD
I regained FM signal when I switched to the stinger amp. But I don't think good FM is guaranteed, but depends on where you live and where the amp is and other factors. I will say I had the antenna reversed and run under the fender/seat and still got decent reception. Perhaps try the stock antenna and see if it improves. I've heard both good and bad about the hidden antennas.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:32 PM
mcdc1224
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 94 Posts

Same as TeedOff, when I ran the stinger 700 my FM came back, but I had a sporty antenna

Old 05-10-2021, 04:29 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdc1224
Same as TeedOff, when I ran the stinger 700 my FM came back, but I had a sporty antenna
Same for me. When I went with the Stinger, my FM was back & better. Now I was also running the HD issue shorty antenna mounted on the TourPak.
I don't think the Stinger is your issue, but your antenna. Heck, before I had an amp in the mix, I tried a hidden antenna on the stock system and FM reception went way down.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:33 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

The hidden antenna is the problem. I have tried several from a cheap e-bay to HD all "power" antennas and all with the same results regardless of what amp I was running. Use the stock location antenna and hook a short wire type antenna running it under the fender and up the side of the saddle bag was the answer for me. Now I dont even listen to fm anymore as I use memory sticks and my phone via amazon prime or other streaming service.